Author Topic: Korea 1953 Campaign  (Read 3813 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Korea 1953 Campaign
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:16:46 pm »
S! all,

Here's some summary info regarding the Korea 1953 campaign.

- Will likely use the summer KTO map, but pending more tests today to see if you all want the summer or winter (lets decide today after the test mission is flown).

- The aircraft types, numbers and dispositions can be found here:  http://aka-server.no-ip.org/Korea53/Aircraft_counts_Korea53.html

- Additional map details not found on the web-based road view map can be found here:  http://aka-server.no-ip.org/Korea53/Korea53_info.jpg

- Sample screen shot of smoke hints you'll see during the mission:  http://aka-server.no-ip.org/Korea53/Sample_smoke1.jpg

I'd l like to have a group flight tonight if possible so everyone can follow me around and I can show you the smoke hints on the waypoint paths.

S! Rel
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:06:31 pm by AKA_Ramstein »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Korea 1953 Campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:42:13 pm »
Thanks everyone for joining TS before flying, and of course joining in the test flying of the mission.  Here's a summary of things I need to do.

- Hunter noticed a miss-spelling of the Dandong airfield in the aircraft placement information.  I'll update the appropriate campaign files.

- I forgot there were issues starting jet engines at Taegu.  I will need to remove all jet powered aircraft from Taegu airfield and distribute them to other airfields and carriers.

- The consensus was to use the summer map over the winter map.  I'll adjust the campaign files accordingly.

- The Yak-15 is underpowered and prone to overheat quickly, not to mention barely faster than prop fighters.  I'll swap it with the Mig-9 (I-300)  which was currently an AI aircraft performing the sweep role.  I'll update the campaign files accordingly.

I don't expect anyone around this Friday/Christmas or Sunday.  I'll try to have everything ready for an initial campaign mission test the following Friday, 1/1 or Sunday 1/3.

Merry Christmas everyone!

S! Rel

EDIT - I've made the changes above, which should be reflected in the aircraft counts on the web map/info.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:11:54 am by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »
The campaign updates have been completed so we are good to go for campaign testing today at our normal time (16:30 pacific), although I believe there will be discussions about team balance, starting date and schedule.  The plan for today is to run the generator, fly for 1.5 hours, run the generator again to post the results and fly for another 1.5 hours to ensure things are working OK.

See you soon!

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:28:02 am »
Rel,

I was just doing some browsing in regards to aircraft included in hsfx mods and saw that the Grumman F7F Tigercat was an aircraft included in hsfx. Since that A/C did see action in Korea is there a way to include it in our campaign. Maybe as a replacement for either the F4U D or C model, since we currenly have both?

Also if it is available why was it not included?
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 12:01:39 pm »
Hey Grey - I would have definitely included the F7F if it was available, but I didn't see it.  If it's not available in the QMB it's not available.  Did I miss something?  I can recheck the list of aircraft in the sim, but if I missed something let me know :).

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »
Well maybe I missed something. I think its a mod that would need to be added. Check out this site: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47963.0.html

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:25:16 pm »
Hey Grey,

Yeah I confirmed it's not in the QMB which is why I didn't include it.  I looked at your link above and as you suspected it's a mod.  Also, it looks like not only do you have to put the F7F mod files in the MODs folder under the IL2 main folder so JSGME can manage the mod, you also have to download and install a "DiffFM" mod (which requires editing the air.ini file in the MODS folder sub structure) or IL2/46 will crash at 60%.

At this stage since we're ready to go with the campaign this coming Friday, it seems a bit late to start messing with adding a mod that then needs to be tested.  Also everyone who is participating would need to download the two mods and make some modifications beyond just the JSGME.  Maybe if this was found out a few weeks back we'd have time to test it out.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 08:44:12 pm »
Noticed Thrud sank the carrier in tonight's test, but the score still showed 100.  I've updated the campaign files so ships are now 300 points as previously discussed.  Also had a discussion during the mission (before my power went out) about adjusting the AAA on the ships to make them a little more difficult to approach, especially since they are worth more and shouldn't be as easy to approach/kill via a single attack/bomber plane.  In the past the ROF (rate of fire) for the capital ship groups has been 20 (1/20th of normal firing rate).  Given the increased value I propose this be increased to 1/10th of normal firing rate (ROF=10).  I've updated the dogfight practice mission to this value for all ships in case anyone wants to test the increased lethality.  This way a single aircraft can still sink the carrier, but it would be more risky than if they had a second one to help draw AAA at least.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 06:42:48 am »
Hello, please remember to add me to the pilots list for the blue side.
Thanks.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 02:38:49 pm »
Hello, please remember to add me to the pilots list for the blue side.
Thanks.

Hey Big10 - you should be good to go.  I checked the pilot list and it picked up your handle and IP and side (2 or blue) from yesterday's test mission.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »
 8)Rel,
If you turn up the Probability that we will get shot down during "Single" plane attacks on ships, it makes it impossible to practice ship bombing when you enter the practice game alone. Every attack I try alone during practice at home with no other players (for most of us that means everyone) results in me getting shot down with out any result that allows me to adjust my bombing run. The practice mission is supposed to be for practice. How can you learn bomb, gunnery, rockets if you never see the results of your attempts?

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:56:53 pm »
8)Rel,
If you turn up the Probability that we will get shot down during "Single" plane attacks on ships, it makes it impossible to practice ship bombing when you enter the practice game alone. Every attack I try alone during practice at home with no other players (for most of us that means everyone) results in me getting shot down with out any result that allows me to adjust my bombing run. The practice mission is supposed to be for practice. How can you learn bomb, gunnery, rockets if you never see the results of your attempts?

I see.... well the idea was to set the practice mission to the same settings as during the campaign missions.  However, I can set the ROF back to what it was for the practice server (ROF=20) so you can try lone-wolf attacks.  Is ROF=10 too extreme then?  Maybe just increasing it from ROF=20 to ROF=15 would be sufficient?  Did you try coming in at very low altitudes and a curving approach?  It's not supposed to be easy to approach a capital ship with a single aircraft... just trying to gauge things here.  I'll jump in first to see what the increased ROF looks like... and report back.

EDIT - I just jumped into the DF server with the proposed ROF settings (10), and was still able to fly a single Tu-2 with the 2000kg bomb and sink one of the US carriers - albeit with one engine gone, but I was able to nurse it back to base and land.  So, it's still not impossible by your self, you just have to try and approach the ships carefully.  In any case, if it's preferred to change the ROF back to 20 I can do so, but this won't get you any practice for campaign settings.   Let me know, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:30:03 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »
 8)Set it up the way you think is best. It would be nice if there was some way we could see the result of our bomb strike regardless of the Ground fire if we get the bomb released. When I drop and get shot down I see no hit results. If you are shot down before you even get to release the bomb the practice run is wasted. I will resolve my personal problem by building a personal Practice Scenrio  for my own training. Thanks.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:10:08 pm »
8)Set it up the way you think is best. It would be nice if there was some way we could see the result of our bomb strike regardless of the Ground fire if we get the bomb released. When I drop and get shot down I see no hit results. If you are shot down before you even get to release the bomb the practice run is wasted. I will resolve my personal problem by building a personal Practice Scenrio  for my own training. Thanks.

Wayno if you're just trying to see how your skip bombing approach is, you can do this very easily in the quick mission builder.. just choose the Pacific Islands map and there are two friendly (close) and two enemy (farther) transport ships right there in your path.   This is what I've used to test skip bombing, you can be down low and making a run on them in 30 seconds.

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »
 8)Thanks Rel!