Author Topic: BOS setup,training  (Read 2834 times)

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
BOS setup,training
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:38:15 am »
S! Now that more and more of us are getting BOS could we set up a time with those who have experience with it to help those of us new BOS owners get set up and trained? ive only had time to fiddle with it so far and like Scorp I would like to set up common settings that we use in other sims some of the settings are confusing and which settings do we really need and which ones are not as critical?

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: BOS setup,training
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:37:18 am »
S! Wiley,

First off, if you haven't already go ahead and download the user manual PDF:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/16752-il-2bos-user-manual-released-first-edition-english/

This will at least give you info on all of the gauges, etc.  As Scorp mentioned in another thread, you can change the settings in the flight interface to show tips:

http://akawardogs.co/forum/index.php?topic=216.15

As for key mappings, some mappings apply to all aircraft, some are specific to specific aircraft.  One of the important ones to help with gunnery is trim - this one is sort of a pain since there are different ones for different sets of aircraft.  You can of course use the same keys across the different aircraft sets since you can only be in one aircraft type at a time :).

Here's what you see in the key mappings regarding elevator trim:

Adjustable stabilizer axis (works for the Bf-109 series, enter two keys for up/down mapping)

Pitch trim up (works for all Russian aircraft that have trim tabs)
Pitch trim down

Fw-190 adjustable stabilizer up (obviously just for the Fw-190 "trim")
Fw-190 adjustable stabilizer down

The roll trim left/right and yaw trim left/right seems to work for all aircraft that have these trim types.

Other non-engine mappings work for all aircraft, pitch/roll/yaw, brakes, gear up/down toggle, flaps is separate up and down keys (note, the Bf109 you have to hold the raise/lower keys until they are set, others it's just one key press), airbrake on/off toggle, etc.

Engine mappings partially apply to all aircraft where applicable, such as engine start/stop procedure toggle, throttle, mixture rich/lean mappings, boost, supercharger.  Water and oil radiator open/close mappings are specific to different plane sets.  Also prop pitch is specific to different plane sets, but again you can have duplicate key mappings since you can only be in one plane type at a time.

Here's what you see in the key mappings regarding prop pitch/rpm:

Propeller RPM control (Russian)

Propellers: high pitch (German - but by default this is auto controlled, you can override and go manual)
Propellers: low pitch

I'm still getting to know all of the various mappings I need as I try the different aircraft.  Hopefully this will help you get started and others who have had the sim for a while can chime in.

S! Rel

Edit - Wiley I forgot to mention, I'll probably be on BoS later today, so I can  check TS later (~5 PM pacific).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:12:44 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:46:33 pm »
Here are some aircraft guides as well.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/

One thing to keep in mind I would recommend you have very handy way to lock and unlock your tail wheel.  As Scoped mentioned the ground handling is tough (and IMO is overdone seeing you can ground loop with full opposite differential braking and rudder??)

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »
As for key mappings, some mappings apply to all aircraft, some are specific to specific aircraft.  One of the important ones to help with gunnery is trim - this one is sort of a pain since there are different ones for different sets of aircraft.  You can of course use the same keys across the different aircraft sets since you can only be in one aircraft type at a time :).

Here's what you see in the key mappings regarding elevator trim:

Adjustable stabilizer axis (works for the Bf-109 series, enter two keys for up/down mapping)

Pitch trim up (works for all Russian aircraft that have trim tabs)
Pitch trim down

Fw-190 adjustable stabilizer up (obviously just for the Fw-190 "trim")
Fw-190 adjustable stabilizer down

As Rel mentioned you can use the same keys for anything similar across different AC.  So I mapped the same buttons to do elevator trim, A 109 adjustable stabilizer and 190 adjustable stabilizer.  For air intake rads, outlet rads and water rads I use the same buttons, I use separate buttons for oil rads.

Most things that are mapped open/close or up/down or increase/decrease you map by editing the control and then pressing a button to do open and then another to do close (or reverse I can't remember which).  Gear is one button (toggle) but flaps are separate up and down, some allied AC (La-5 and Lagg come to mind) have adjustable flaps while most others are up/down.

What I did was fly an AC in quick mission and then adjust the controls as I found I needed them.  In multiplayer you can select level flight (shift-A) and then go into settings and adjust key mappings.

I use more or less the same keys I use in CoD for BoS.  The older I get the simpler I like things.

On the allied side both the Yak and IL2 have a lockable tail wheel, those would be my first choice to practice taxi and takeoff.  The Lagg3 isn't too bad but the La5 is a bitch (much like the Fw190).  On takeoff slowly increase the throttle, if you can lock the tail wheel try pulling back on the stick if you can't push forward (or mess around and finds what works best for your setup.).

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:14:23 pm »
the only thing that i have found besides the flight model, is the trim will not work with my X52 if trying to use my rotation wheels. it will only see on direction of the axis. I had to set my trim up to keys on my keyboard. Kinda a pain when im used to using my rotation knobs....Have to reach over my sticks to get to my keyboard is a pain.