Author Topic: First Online Impressions  (Read 748 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
First Online Impressions
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:08 am »
Flew online last night with Scorp, Wiley, Jer and Hang.  OK, wow, so far I like it!  I've been playing the single player campaign in quick mode which starts you in the air mostly.  So I got more exposure to takeoffs and landings.  You definitely have to go easy on the throttle and rudder movement with a good amount of braking.  The planes bounce a little too much but overall you get a better sense of taxiing a heavy object than what you get in IL2/46.  The takeoffs require a bit more focus and concentration but if you take advantage of the tail wheel lock and some initial rudder with minor corrections it's not too bad.

In the air the planes have a different, heavier feel to them - but it seems more realistic.  You can't jerk the planes around quickly like you can in IL2/46.  It takes a little more time for the ailerons, rudder and elevators to bite into the wind so it also seems more realistic.  Even with nose up trim gunnery is more difficult.  You have to anticipate a little more and time your shots because making constant adjustments can throw off your aim.  However I got my first online kill (a Stuka) and assist (Bf109G2) so I feel blooded now :).

All in all its a positive step in the right direction from IL2/46 - I think those who have been flying mostly IL2/46 will be pleasantly surprised by IL2/Battle of Stalingrad (BoS).  And if Scorp indeed comes through with a multiplayer campaign generator and server controller like he did for IL2/46, I can definitely see this as the next AKA and friends campaigns of the future.

The key bindings are a little more in depth than IL2/46, but not quite as deep as CoD and not nearly as deep as DCS.  The start up procedure is fairly quick, similar to CoD, and your rolling down the taxiway in mere seconds.

I give BoS a big thumbs up!  As has been mentioned, there's currently a half priced sale going on at http://il2sturmovik.com so for any of those flying mainly IL2/46 I highly recommend the upgrade if you're on the fence.  It's $39.99 (for the premium package, which most/all of us who own it have, includes the La5 and Fw190) - regular price is $79.99 - the sale ends after this Sunday.

Don't mean to push, but I'd hate to see guys put it off then feel hamstrung as they watch others migrate to this next step and not be able to take advantage of the better price - timing is everything :).  So please, ask questions if you're on the fence.  We can try to clarify anything that may be keeping you back and help make the decision easier.

In summary it was great to fly with Wiley and Scorp again, and it would be great to see more of us together on the same sim on the same side "taking over" a side flying in an online server - just like old times.  I know that can also happen with CoD, but BoS has more to offer with for guys who like the ground attack aspect that CoD doesn't offer as much.

S! Rel

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Re: First Online Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:29:21 am »
Looking forward to flying online - my first go at it I did alone.   I died once, but then got a kill - so I was happy.

I enjoy the mission objective style they have - same as ROF.   In ROF I was getting into some level bombing as well - and I think they make it very accessible and less complex than other sims.

(I still think a setup to run a war would be more along the lines of 'VEF' style where you attempt to accomplish the primary/secondary objectives and that decides the state of the map for the next mission)

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:46:30 am »
I plan to pick it up by tommorow. I sti fee my needs amet by I alreat own, but then again, do not want to be left in the dust..  :o

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 01:40:46 pm »
Hope you're feeling better Ram - hope I didn't sound too pushy :).  Just wanted to get it out there as it won't be a good deal for long.  I think you'll like it Ram - just start slow.  Set up the main key mappings, fly some easy quick missions against bombers  or Ju52'S and practice your gunnery, etc.  Then try different things.

S! Rel