Author Topic: Video Settings  (Read 2119 times)

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Video Settings
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:09:37 pm »
I have been doing some offline testing to see if there is a way to improve spotting contacts.  Here is what I found:

Contacts do not seem to be visible beyond 10 km (mine mostly appear at around 9.4 km)  It doesn't seem to matter how big an aircraft 109 or He111 they are not a dot until within 10 km.

Resolution doesn't seem to have any effect on spotting distant dots.  In both IL2(1946) and IL2(CoD) reducing resolution makes dots easier to spot because they are larger at lower resolutions but not in IL2(BoS) because of the 10 km limit.  Higher resolution does help identifying aircraft as they get closer.  I set mine at my monitor resolution 1920x1080.

Playing with Anti Aliasing does (IMO) help.  With AA off the dots appear darker but flicker and disappear as the angle you are looking at them changes.  Increasing AA reduces the dot darkness but also reduces the flicker.  I set mine to 2 as a compromise between darkness and flicker.

Gamma, at least for me has little effect.  It does change how things look but doesn't help me see targets.

The Low/Balanced/High/Ultra didn't seem to make any difference spotting targets.  From what I can see this is the eye candy, set this to whatever your system can handle.  Mine is set to High.

I didn't notice much of a difference with HDR & SSAO on or off so I just left them on.

The distance setting appears to be only for ground features, it does not effect ground or air objects.

Why not share what works for you.
AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Video Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:56:12 am »
I have found the same thing with the resolution, at first I stuck with the Native resolution of my TV (1920x1080) because I figure like 46 and COD if I increase my resolution I was going to decrease my spotting ability, but I have since started using the DSR on my 980 increasing my resolution and I am not having an increase in difficulty in spotting targets and my ability to ID is a little improved.

I have my Gamma cranked all the way down for the winter maps.

The LOD (limit of detail) in BOS  is part of the problem, if you watch aircraft that are at a modest range of 7 to 5 km from a relatively fix position (something I don't recommend while flying online) and they are flying perpendicular to you you can see them, however if they turn towards you or away from you the contact can disappear, the aircraft is actually not rendered.  DCS had this issue before 1.5 even at close range and when COD first came it was there as well.  There are of course varying opinions on how realistic this type of LOD is, there is no doubt in the real world in certain situations seeing an aircraft at 5 to 7km can be very difficult, however IRL the human eye is adapt at seeing moving objects in a 3D world where we are playing our flight sims in 2D, this of course is a whole other discussion.   

What does this LOD and lack of visual mean in BOS? It means that a enemy aircraft that is 5 km away from you flying straight for you can be very difficult or even impossible to see (if it is not rendered) and if it is flying at 400 kph it will be in shooting range in a little over 43 seconds and if it is flying at 650 kph in a dive it will be in firing range in 26.5 seconds.

What is the practical takeaway here?  If you are on your own and not flying in formation DO NOT FLY STRAIGHT FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS, EVER.  Be diligent, almost religious, in constantly moving and scanning your 10 o'clock to 7 and 2 o'clock to 5.  Every now and then thrown in a crazy Ivan and make a hard 90 degree plus turn and look behind you while doing it, you will be surprised how often you catch a bad guy tying to sneak up on you.  If we are flying as a group fly in formation, combat spread and either echelon left, right, inverted V or finger 4, you want to be at the 8 o'clock or 4 o'clock of the lead, that way he can easy look behind you and you can look behind him and the angle should make the more perpendicular LOD show an attacking aircraft. Dont fly at someones 5,6 or 7 unless attacking an aircraft or following in a ground attack as flying in someone 5, 6, 7 does more harm than good.

Edit: that last paragraph is for all sims, 46, COD, DCS, BOS ect.

MattE
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:16:13 am by AKA_MattE »

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Video Settings
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:29:11 pm »
I was having issues where BoS would freeze and I'd have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill the process.  Not all the time, but maybe 1 in 5 times I played.  I read that it could be an NVidia setting that needs to be changed having to do with the power management.  After I made the update I have not had this issue again, so I recommend you change the value as follows:

- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Expand 3D Settings, click on Manage 3D settings
- Click the Program Settings tab (may take a little while to load the list of applications)
- If you don't see "IL-2: Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad", click the Add button and navigate to and select Il-2.exe in "...\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game".  This should make it the selected application.
- Scroll down until  you see "Power management mode" - change the setting from "Adaptive" to "Prefer maximum performance", then click OK/Apply

S! Rel