Author Topic: The Drone Racing League  (Read 1405 times)

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
The Drone Racing League
« on: February 15, 2016, 03:43:43 pm »
I got into this stuff a few months ago, actually like it a lot and any spare time I've had has been twitching the sticks on my home made drone. Check it out:

http://thedroneracingleague.com/

Very cool, I don't have a camera yet as I'm still running into walls. Its sooo sensitive. I'm using a zmr 250 frame with cc3d chip. Tons of fun, I thought making my own drone would be too hard but it wasn't that bad.

Lots of electrical tape, I didn't trust myself enough to heat shrink or clean it up much. I just soldered and taped and strapped things down. Got my 5 year old helping with the solder gun and wrenching on stuff. Good times

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:45:16 pm by AKA_Blazin »

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: The Drone Racing League
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:04 pm »
Buddy of mine got a very nice versa copter from flite test:

http://store.flitetest.com/ft-versacopter-280-v2-quad-kit/

I gave him some pointers on what I learned building mine and his is a beast. 6" props and a wider base make it much more stable in flight. The motors, esc ratings, and computer are very similar to what I have (almost identical), but with a wider span between the arms he can fit bigger props for more lift at lower RPM. While it won't respond as fast I think he'll be up and flying in half the time I was.

To kind of summarize the options if your curious:

280mm frame with 6" props = Nice quad copter, awesome to learn on and still very fast
  250mm frame with 5" props = Twitchy craft, very responsive!
  210mm frame with 5" props = Insanity in terms of responsiveness and acceleration

I'm no longer crashing into walls, though my son hit the throttle when I wasn't looking and thank goodness it wasn't lined up with a light bulb over head! Put a little ding in the ceiling and made my heart jump out of my throat! haha! There was -0- time to make any correction, its a rocket when you punch the throttle!

I thought the flight sims were sometimes unrealistic with responsiveness, after playing with this puppy for the past few months I wonder if the real things weren't actually MORE responsive than any of us realize.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:29:34 pm »
Cool stuff there Blazin, looks pretty cool if you can get a camera on there with those VR-type goggles :).

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:23:20 pm »
Yeah just watch out though. If you go outside make sure you are alone or with your wife. She can act as lookout on the ground for you. I also know how obsessed we can get with these things.  I am totally hooked on ground referenced ariel video flying myself.  I used to enjoy my video camera fitted P51 park flyer a lot.
it has a weight just inside park flyer limits. (2lb)

But now my park is always busy, so 'safe areas' are more difficult to come by.. Safe meaning if it malfunctions in the air, it will crash into a remote non populated area and only the person flying it has a problem. That's the way I enjoy flying the most (the most relaxing) although you are allowed to fly park flyer class fixed wing in designated areas that are closer to pple as long as you have it under control and stay in your 'ariel sand box' no matter what.

I have to find a more remote place to fly now, so as to enjoy it without worries about dogs or kids underneath.

Drones have been getting bad press lately, mostly because they fly right out of the box.

I can definitely see the fun factor in flying a drone indoors though. I imagine its quite immersive ;)

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:07 pm »
when I was a kid building and flying

[attachment deleted by admin]

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:41 am »
Great pic Ram! Thanks for sharing!

I live in ohio so there's tons of open areas to go fly and be safe about it. I typically stop at a state park on my way home from work, at 5pm on a weekday it's totally abandoned in most areas. I do some circles around myself so I can spin and make sure I'm clear every minute or two.

Since I'm just doing 15 min a day or so progress is slow but coming. I'm zig zagging between trees and learning to fly faster and low. Ground effect sucks! Gotta throw the throttle around a ton when I change angles or turn, just start to level or bank close to something and I get 10x the thrust as normal so I have to be careful I don't rocket up 30 feet by mistake. It's a real dance flying these things.

I am a little concerned over losing signal, it's happened 3 times when my antenna was damaged. I didn't think it would make a lot of difference but then I researched radios and found out when my son broke part of the antenna off it changed the tuning slightly. So I popped a new antenna on and I haven't lost signal since.

I looked at some long range stuff just to over compensate and use as insurance so I don't drop it out of the sky again. I hit pavement straight down no power from about 3 stories up. It flipped over and landed on the battery. I cut the leads and gave it a salt bath to discharge and dispose safely. I don't know if I'll ever actually race, it's just fun to cruise around for a bit after work and get back into the passion of flying again!

I'll have to get a big flyer sometime. I could just park in the middle of a bunch of giant bean fields and fly around. Parks typically have too many trees to keep visual contact of something like a plane for long lol A tiny little drone I can zip and zoom, bank and roll and whatever in a nice little 400x400' square where obstacles are encouraged! haha I've laughed so many times at myself when I judge it wrong and WHACK WHACK WHACK leaves are flying and branches are falling. Great stress killer before I get home