Author Topic: Metal Earth Models  (Read 1132 times)

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Metal Earth Models
« on: February 15, 2016, 04:03:38 pm »
Sharing another little hobby I started to get away from the computer screen and do something with the kids. Started putting together these little kits from http://metalearthmodel.com/

Most recent was a Titanic that my boss started and gave me the parts he completed and I finished it as best I could. Didn't come out too bad. I got the tops of the stacks backwards and a railing is missing as I didn't have it, but otherwise couldn't be better!

I did some star wars ones with the kids. Soon as I finished I took some photos then handed them over. So far none have survived! haha

I don't mind though, it was fun to build with them and I got a picture out of it so that works. On average the easy ones (single plate) take 45 minutes to do, harder ones (two plates) may take 2 to 6 hours depending how careful I'm being. Since I know its not going to last anyway I usually go pretty quick. Why not.. They look amazing even if not 100% right

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Earth Models
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »
Dude, that looks tedious. What do you use for adhesive, super glue?  I build plastic models aircraft, mainly in 1/48th and 1/32nd scale.

Thanks for the link, I am gonna pick me up a few of the aircraft's they offer. 

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 06:03:31 pm »
There's no glue, it's a tab and slot system. For exposed areas you typically bend the tab over 90 degrees. For hidden places use a tool to twist the tab a 1/4 turn. Twisting tabs is a tighter fit than bending, so sometimes areas that you're supposed to bend I'll still twist.

I did a few of the aircraft and they are pretty frustrating, I didn't like them much. The helicopter was very easy but the corsair was terrible. I felt like the entire tail section could come off with a strong breeze! I'd recommend to start out new getting anything that's a single plate, wait until you've completed a few to get the harder two plate designs. Also their tool kit kinda sucks except for the snips to cut the parts out. I don't know how anyone completes a model without a nice tight pair of cutters. I'd ruin most of the parts trying to get them out without a good pair of snips.

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:02:56 am »
some more, star wars stuff  8)

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:59 am »