Author Topic: Update #122  (Read 781 times)

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Update #122
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:23:33 am »
So has anyone noticed a difference flying against Yaks since the last update?

Fineness ratios of all planes were re-checked with their flaps extended. Fineness ratio was decreased for LaGG-3 series 29, La-5 series 8, Yak-1 series 69, IL-2 (both) and P-40E-1. Other planes fineness ratios were found to be correct;

This might make the super flaps less effective.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Update #122
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »
Haven't gotten the update yet, but will have to check it out. (EDIT - I guess this is for update 1.107b which hasn't been release yet, current version is still 1.107)

Was curious about fineness ratio... from Wikipedia:

Fineness ratio is a term used in naval architecture and aerospace engineering to describe the overall shape of a streamlined body. Specifically, it is the ratio of the length of a body to its maximum width; shapes that are "short and fat" have a low fineness ratio, those that are "long and skinny" have high fineness ratios. Aircraft that spend time at supersonic speeds generally have high fineness ratios, a canonical example being Concorde.

So I presume that by decreasing the fineness ratio for fully-flapped Yaks, it will slow the aircraft down to more realistic/correct speeds...  Can't hurt!  I still remember the 1v1 I had with one of the CIA guys, me in a Bf109F4 and him in a Yak1... when it degraded down to the deck I recall seeing his flaps down full (only full up or down) turning towards me and it seemed I wasn't gaining separation as I had mine up and was trying to extend.. he stayed right with me which I thought was odd/BS/etc...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:22:39 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:33:54 pm »
Yes that is my impression of finesse ratios, if they are decreased there will be more drag.  I flew the Yak offline last night and I thought that with the flaps down it was more prone to stall then before, but that was just a quick flight.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:40:55 am »
new update:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/?p=334161

Interesting about what 'fineness' means

13. Fineness ratios of all planes were re-checked with their flaps extended. Fineness ratio was decreased for LaGG-3 series 29, La-5 series 8, Yak-1 series 69, IL-2 (both) and P-40E-1. Other planes fineness ratios were found to be correct.