Author Topic: DCS Flight Night Requirements  (Read 4786 times)

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
DCS Flight Night Requirements
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:51:49 pm »
For quite a while now DCS within AKA has felt somewhat aimless.  I tried a voluntary certification program for several aircraft to get people trained up.  While there were a couple of people who finished it (Black Sun and Wydra in the A-10C), there was by and large very little interest in it.  A few people started them but did not finish in the A-10C and KA-50 certifications.  Thursday and Saturday nights thus have ended up being events where we see how many people show up and from there determine if we run a training hop or a combat mission.  Most of the time it ends up being a training hop because we either have an insufficient number of pilots to conduct a combat mission, and/or the people who are online are not yet combat effective in the needed aircraft.

We need some direction here and we need some base skills.

The below is my initial thoughts on this issue, however, these are not carved in stone and I'm fully willing to entertain other suggestions if someone has a better idea.

My proposal:  For the next month or two, DCS nights will be primarily training to get people up to speed on needed aircraft/skills.  Once this initial training period has elapsed, Thursday and Saturday nights will be combat operations only.  If you wish to participate in these combat operations YOU MUST BE CERTIFIED in one or more aircraft that are employed in that combat mission.

We simply cannot be trying to teach someone basic operations of an aircraft at the same time that we are trying to hit targets and dodging SAMs.  It doesn't work.  You need to have the basic operations of your aircraft down prior to entering a combat mission.  Now, what do I mean by certified?  I'm NOT referring to my previous certification program, (although I DO still have those files, and anyone wishing to attempt a certification program is free to do so, just contact me on how to get started).   This will not be an official test where you are given a file and have to make a track.  This will be more of an informal simple test flight with me or someone I designate where you demonstrate your use of all relevant weapons.  In this instance, when I refer to certification, I mean you need to demonstrate you understand how to operate the basic functions of the aircraft which include:

*         Radio and Intercom use (for comms with ATC, JTAC, AWACS, and ground crew).
*         Takeoff
*         Landing
*         Air to air weapons employment (all types available to the airframe)
*         Air to ground weapons employment (where applicable, all types available to the airframe)

That's it, for now.  Note:  You will notice I have nothing in that list regarding cold starting.  At this point I don't care about startups.  As long as DCS has an auto-start sequence that works for the aircraft you fly, I don't care if you use the auto, or do it cold.  Now, if a given aircraft module does not have an auto start cheat, or it does but it currently is bugged and not working ... THEN you will need to know how to cold start it.  The bottom line is you have to be able to start the aircraft one way or another, you cannot rely on air-starts.  At a later time we may include navigation instrumentation, ILS landing, and air to air refueling ... but that's for later when the majority of the populace is fairly proficient.

Now let's be clear.  I'm not expecting you to be GOOD at everything.  Example, using unguided rockets in a helo.  I'm not expecting you to hit a fly on a road sign at 1km with rockets.  I just need to make sure you know how to arm and USE the system/weapons in your aircraft.

Eventually we will have multiple campaigns created so we should be able to accommodate ALL available aircraft in DCS from WWII to modern.  But, for right now, we are focused on a modern campaign, so the following aircraft will have priority for combat missions:

A-10A
A-10C
Su-25
Su-25T
F-15C
SU-27 (would prefer you focus on the F-15C instead though).
Mig-21 Bis
Mirage 2000
UH-1H
KA-50
Mi-8 MTV2

Others may possibly be added at a later date but that is what he have for now.

All of you who want to fly combat missions need to be proficient in at least one of the above aircraft.

So, to get started, please contact me to let me know which ones you want to be certified for.  For FC3 aircraft I will probably designate someone to conduct test flights (Relent?)   As I said, for the next 4-8 flight nights I will focus on training so I can try and take care of as many people as possible to get certifications out of the way.  My suggestion to all of you is pick one aircraft and focus on it until you get your Pass and then move on to the next one if you want to have multiple available to you.  The important thing here is that YOU must show initiative and step forward.  I will try to make myself available as much as possible to accommodate schedules if you want to set up some individual time for training/questions or doing the evaluations.

As stated previously.  This is MY suggestion.  This is not set in stone.  If someone has a better idea please reply here.  But, as of right now, the sense I'm getting is that people are bored of the training mission (and I can't say that I blame them) ... but at the same time most are unprepared to go in to actual combat.  So, something is needed to get the ball rolling.  I am willing to spend the time on those who are willing to step up, show initiative, and learn what is needed to be able to participate.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:44:09 am by AKA_Ramstein »

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Re: DCS Flight Night Requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:05 am »
I still want to learn the F-15C

When do you plan/thinking of having these training missions ?

My boys busy basketball season is wrapping up (then we move to baseball) so I hope to get started soon

(by the way, what version are we all currently running - I switched over to the beta awhile back)

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:39:20 am »
I don't have FC3 so if he is agreeable to it,  I would suggest pairing up with Relent for the F-15 training.

For right now training will be on Thursday and Saturday DCS nights (though if anyone wants some additional personalized training they can set something up with me on other days of the week) .  I think the main target will be to get all the regular attendees to be certified in at least one modern aircraft. 

Once we reach that benchmark we can think about transitioning DCS nights to be strictly combat operations.  But we DO need to get some commitments from folks to ensure we have enough attendance to do sustained combat operations.  Would be very frustrating to the people who do the work of getting combat ready and then we still can't do a combat mission because half the people don't show.   So that may be a requirement as well at some point (have to attend a minimum number of events within a certain time period in order for certification to remain valid).

It makes sense anyways in regards to these are generally perishable skills,  if you don't use it you tend to lose it.

The standard DCS is 1.5.3 now.  Not sure what version the alpha is now but since we aren't using that for anything official yet since a number of people don't have it,  that's a moot point for now.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:05 pm »
MattE has passed the Mirage 2000 checkride.  Those who wish to do the Mirage can now see him as well as myself for getting checked out in this aircraft.  I am NOT concerned with air to ground weapons in the Mirage as we will be pretty much using that aircraft in the air to air only role and if ground targets need to be hit we will be relying on the A-10C and the SU-25T for that role.

For those wishing a checkride, items you will need to go over:
Startup (can be done via automatic)
Communication with ATC
Communication with ground crew
Takeoff
Radar employment
Guns employment
Magic employment
R530 employment
Landing 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:39:49 am by AKA_Topgun »

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:52:30 am »
I changed this to 'Announcement' to boost the level or importance and to send notices out, ' this topic' Importance as the direction and what is needed for DCS as a Group effort in AKA. While we hope we can get the active membership back up, the planning must continue for those still active, and the need to let all know, if you want to participate now or in the near future, please speak up.

This really helps those that are actively planning schedules, missions, activities.

(training for several aircraft may start in March or April, depending...)

Training is atop priority, and a schedule is being worked on for each needed aircraft for missions planned.
If you want to get in on planning, jump in! Please...

Also, if you just can't for whatever reason, well real life always comes first. Still, try to jump in if anything just to say hi, I am still around....

Thanx...

;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:58:05 am »
Currently DCS Nights are every Thursday and Saturday at 21:00 EST.

If you have an interest in getting involved in DCS but those days of the week do not work for you then PLEASE REPLY HERE OR CONTACT ME (either via PM on the forum or email).

The days we fly are dictated by what days the largest # of people can attend on those days.   If you don't pipe up then I have no way of knowing.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 09:38:21 am »
Relent, Ramstein, and Clutter have all passed KA-50 checkrides.  Anyone wanting to be evaluated for the KA-50 can now see any of them along with myself. 

Items you will need to go over:
Startup (can be done via automatic)
Communication with ATC
Communication with ground crew
Takeoff
Guns employment
Rockets employment
ATGM employment
Datalink employment
Landing

Offline AKA_BUCKY

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:08:32 am »
Topgun, sounds like a good plan for addressing the needs of the beginner vs. the experienced DCS pilot, as long as both groups can get needed stick time.   I haven't been involved with DCS but am thinking about it.  If you think Certification is necessary in order to reach the next level of use (combat), then maybe we should try it.  I would encourage others to speak up if they are invloved with DCS.   

Bucky

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 05:51:15 pm »
Here's my initial thoughts of what the F-15C checkride would entail.

Pilots should be able to perform the following tasks:

Electrical power up
Communication with ATC (e.g. request engine startup, later request taxi)
Communication with ground crew (e.g. request refuel/rearm)
Engine startup
Taxi/takeoff
Use of various radar modes
  Switch BVR modes (RWS/TWS)
  Change BVR radar mode pulse repeat frequency
  Lock/unlock BVR target
Understanding of radar/hud symbology
Understanding of RWR symbology
M61 Vulcan Gatling gun employment
BVR missile (Aim-120, Aim-7) employment
IR missile (Aim-9) employment
Radar jammer activation
Countermeasures employment
Landing

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 08:46:46 pm »
Hangten and MattE have passed the F-15C checkrides.   Hang now that you got your gun mapping to work, I recommend practicing a little air-to-air with the gatling gun using the computing gunsight and do a few more landings to hone your approach.

Nice work.. S! Rel

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 06:13:01 am »
Thus far we have 5 people who have one or more checkrides completed.  Nice work, but we still have more work to do.

We just about have a few more people checked out on the Su-25T and F-15C.

Those of you who are not checked out in any aircraft yet PLEASE be sure to attend a Thursday or Saturday session so we can work on that with you and get you passed.

Those of you who are checked out in only one aircraft please select a second aircraft to get checked out on.   Preferably an aircraft with a different mission type (so if you are checked on the F-15C do not focus on another air superiority aircraft like the Mirage or Mig-21 next).  The reason is I want everyone to be able to fullfill multiple roles so we don't run into the issue of having enough people showing up but not enough people who are capable of performing needed roles.

Right now we are sorely lacking in transport helo pilots (Uh-1 and Mi-8).  Granted we don't use that role extensively in missions but it IS used. If you want to do either of those helos please drop me a line.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:17:01 am by AKA_Topgun »

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 06:36:51 am »
What is the Huey check ride syllabus?  Once I have that I can take some time to do more key binding and take a check ride.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:33 am »
Startup (again, can be automated)
ATC/ground crew comms (rearm/refuel/repair)
Takeoff
Gun employment (preferably using the copilot seat with the flexsight)
Rocket employment
Activating door gunners and setting their ROE and burst length
Landing
Preferably should also be able to pick up a cargo load and release it as well but that's not high priority right now.

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »
Thanks Top, I have a little work to do on it so it will be a couple of weeks before I am ready.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 10:12:22 pm »
The hardest thing in the Huey is landing.  You have to be ready for when you lose translational lift as you are slowing down and you have to pull up on the collective QUICKLY AND SIGNIFICANTLY or else you will vortex and you will not have enough altitude to recover.  This generally ends in a 'bad day' from which you will not be walking away from.