Author Topic: Breaking free of current Anti Virus  (Read 1298 times)

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Breaking free of current Anti Virus
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:43:23 am »
Hope this is the right place to discuss this.

I'm trying to break free of the dreaded 'Symantec' fire dragon and could use some help before migrating this tub to win10.
What virus protection is suitable for a home PC these days?
I've heard in the past that some of the guys use AVAST free version with no significant complaints.
Is that still true today?

I am looking for any input at all, even recommendation as to what  NOT to install.

Thanks all!
TG

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: Breaking free of current Anti Virus
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:01:38 pm »
Avast is pretty good. I've used it for years.

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:02 pm »
I have had only one app I had to manually add to my Symantec (Symantec Security is the name of the latest. Used to be Norton 360). It almost always does it all automatically. Although I do manual updates and downloads on my computer, but set my wife's computer to auto. I get Symantec for 5 devices. The next one up is for 10 devices.
for any old extra computers I just use Avast free version, but they used on my are very limited use devices. I use the extra tools , not just antivirus. If you want antivirus only, then I would guess any of the top ones names like PC Mag or other publications list the 10 best. Their opinion.

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:44:16 pm »
TG, I have used Avast for years on my computer and on my wife's computer. My computer is pretty much secure as in the kiddies are not allowed to play on my system. My wife on the other hand allows the grandkids to play on her system and she also goes to these goofy shopping coupon sites and internet game sites.

She occasionally picks up a virus, I on the other hand have no problems other than having to clean out her system a few times a year. She is also not quite as good as regularly updating her virus definitions.

So Avast does get nailed but it depends on the users and how well they maintain their systems. Hope this helps.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:38:30 pm »
I second what Grey said. I have the same issues with mine and Karen's systems. Once the kids get on hers, some ads tend to come through, but mine is solid

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 06:07:00 pm »
 :)The only Security Stuff that I have used for the past 3 years is "Free" Microsoft Security Essentials. I have tried most of the "Expensive" security systems and Microsoft seems to work as well as any. Consideration: most other security systems depend on data generated by Microsoft. I use Windows 7.

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:40 pm »
Thanks all but do you also use your tub for like looking at your bank account or just for gaming?

If I end up downloading win 10 I know Ill have to do the upgrade or install of the virus protection
'thingme'. Right now My Symantec is bothering me like an Hindu indian yabbadabba. They ain't getting any more of my money.

Hat this crap. Why cant Windoz just have virus protection as part of its OS!
Grrr
Ill start a petition and we can send it to Bill Gates.  :P