Author Topic: Burma 1944/45 Campaign  (Read 6033 times)

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Burma 1944/45 Campaign
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 03:55:22 pm »
Terrific work on the airbases Rel!

I hope this is the best time to report our observations for benefit of both sides.

Looks like the boat convoys are indeed very well protected, as in 'can't get
within outside torpedo parameters without getting shot to pieces.' I guess if we had a real attack with 20 planes this would be realistic and acceptable, but most of us on both sides will use just 2 or 3 planes to attack ships (probably 1 or 2). 

The seaplane thing I agree probably can't be fixed.

What about the overheat thing; can that be adjusted or is it map specific?

Smoke trails? (just kidding! I know they are NOT easy to put down!)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 04:26:52 pm »
Hey TG - the ship convoys have a ROF of 2.5 for the 6 ship type, which move ground units.  The carrier 2 ship and cruiser 2 ship have a ROF of 10.  This is how it has been the last few campaigns.

Since ships are now 300 points (same as Korea) I changed the 6 ship type to have 4 destroyers and 2 transports.  Didn't want it to be too easy to get points :).

Overheat?  The campaign is set to November/December so that's probably the coolest it can get.  We'll have to use our rads and prop pitch adjustments and throttle down a bit - can't run around at 100+% all the time on this map :)

Thanks

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »
One more comment regarding airfields:

Taungup / AV-29 - this airfield really sucks, even with the airfield runway objects.  They do smooth out the small bumps, however for the big bumps you actually can see the flat runway object elevated such that there's a vertical gap between two textures.  This is because the bump is too large to flatten.  It sort of gives you a hint of where the next big bump is, and if in a tail dragger you can sometimes make it past the bump if you keep your speed up a little, pull your stick all the way back and don't use your brakes - then brake hard once you make it to the next smooth area.  You'll have to see/experience it to see what I mean - the area just wasn't smoothed out by the map maker.

There aren't other airfields in this area, so there aren't any options for Red in this part of the map.  Aircraft with nose gear shouldn't have a problem, they will just bounce a little.  What I could do is take all of the tail dragger aircraft out of this airfield and spread them out across the other 4 airfields not including the supply base.   

S! Rel

I made one more set of updates to this airfield above.   I basically extended the runway tiles on the north side, actually covering part of the road.  I found that this was the only area that was smooth near the existing runway.  It was much better, I was able to take off from north to south with a Spit and by the time I got to the rough area it was fast enough that I was already just about airborne.  For landing, I tried landing south to north and touched down about 1/3 of the way down the runway, kept it fairly fast and only slowed down once I got near the firepots towards the north end.  I think this will help us humans to take off and land, not sure if the AI will be able to land successfully though, but that's their problem :).

I've updated the campaign files and the dogfight mission so you can check it out.  I'll tweak the road network so the vehicles go around this new part of the runway.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:48 pm »
The campaign test went OK for the first mission, but after I ran the parser and ran the generator afterward, it seemed to generate the same mission.  The ships were in the same spot as the first mission.

So... I need to do some research and some testing to see what happened.  Funny thing is the web site looks correct...  Agile, Jer, hold off on doing any unit movement until I have a chance to figure this out.

Thanks.. S! Rel

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 07:50:32 am »
Rel, please suggest to the commanders that when they go to make their changes to the missions, they get onto TS so I can make sure not to restart the server while they are online. If I see them on TS, I will make sure they are finished before I restart the server.
I get a message that there are other connections to the server every time I start it, even though anyone has accessed the server (like flown in the practice mission) and they are not currently connected.

I know there's little chance of me restarting at exactly the same time they are making their adjustments, and subsequently kicking them off, but,,,,, just in case. I check TS before restarting and give notice.

Thanks

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 09:57:26 am »
Rel, please suggest to the commanders that when they go to make their changes to the missions, they get onto TS so I can make sure not to restart the server while they are online. If I see them on TS, I will make sure they are finished before I restart the server.

I think you just did :).

Also, I presume you're mainly talking about if they make adjustments on the same day as a campaign mission, especially within an hour or two of the start time...

I'll send a note to them as well...

Thanks,
S! Rel

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »
yes, that's correct. Once they make their changes, anything I do to restart the server will not affect those changes, HOWEVER, if they are in the middle of making their changes and I restart the server while they are in the campaign management screens it will knock them off and their changes likely will not get saved. I just want to avoid headaches for them.
Thanks.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »
After some testing yesterday and today, I think the issue was that there was an old IP address in the confs.ini in the campaign folder and it caused the mission results not to be tallied correctly.  I've reset the campaign so we can test it with two quick missions again.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:46 pm »
 :) :)Every plane I fly overheats within 2 minutes of takeoff. P-38 loses engine (Smokes). If Radiator and RPM are adjusted quickly, situation improves (overheat is less likely), but overheat is still a problem at high power settings. I have made changes to my hard drives (all new installs), so if none of the rest of you have this problem please comment.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 04:27:47 pm »
:) :)Every plane I fly overheats within 2 minutes of takeoff. P-38 loses engine (Smokes). If Radiator and RPM are adjusted quickly, situation improves (overheat is less likely), but overheat is still a problem at high power settings. I have made changes to my hard drives (all new installs), so if none of the rest of you have this problem please comment.

Wayno, see your private messages...

S! Rel

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 04:28:51 pm »
Same happens for me as well...we are going to have to fly these planes like danceing with a big girl...slow and easy.

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:18 am »
Rel,

I was in the map under the commanders view to make changes for the axis prior to this Fridays practice mission. I have a few questions/concerns about bridges. There is a debrief view available, so I saw some of the information from the last practice mission. One thing I noticed was multiple notes on Road System failures or Bridge Down failures. There had to be 27-28 of them in all. Regarding Bridges, I have noticed a number of areas where there are no viewable bridges. You just see the road, then the river then the road again on the other side of the river. Will ground units be able to cross over these rivers. Are we going to see instances of trucks and tanks just sitting in rivers? If so let me know so I can inform my guys.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 03:53:41 pm »
Hey Grey,

You can ignore the errors about the bridges in the log. Those have been around since day one.

Also, ground units will ford small rivers without bridges, and in some cases I had to make the ground units go around the bridges if they were combined road/rail bridges (which we have in Burma) as they would just mull around at the foot of the bridge (they won't cross tracks).  I spent a while testing when creating the road network watching to make sure the ground units (e.g. tanks) were fording the myriad of river crossings in this map that don't have bridges.

As for seeing trucks/tanks sitting in the water... it's possible.  Remember, static trucks/tanks can spawn anywhere between two waypoints.  If a small river happens to be part of the path, they may end up there, we have no control in the matter.

I should be around if you want to meet before the normal flight time tomorrow.  I think we're just running another test campaign mission but can go over the mission commander process if you want - although I think Jer has covered much of that with you already.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »
I've reset the Burma 44/45 campaign, so we should be good to go for Friday.  I'm meeting with Agile tomorrow (Wednesday) at 6:00PM pacific, Grey I can meet with you as well (maybe after Agile?) to go over last minute stuff/prep regarding the campaign.  Let me know what times work for you.

S! Rel
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:13:18 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 08:01:31 pm »
Sorry Rel, had to take the wife to a Dr. appt Tuesday evening. I should be up on Wed evening though.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"