Author Topic: Burma 1944/45 Campaign  (Read 6128 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Burma 1944/45 Campaign
« on: June 10, 2016, 02:53:04 pm »
S! Guys,

I've completed setting up the Burma 44/45 campaign;  as far as I can tell I have everything set up correctly.  I've gone ahead and generated a few missions and I think I have everything set up the way I wanted it for the first mission.  I've backed up the campaign files so we should be good to go.  We should probably run a few test missions, but it would be good if I had a chance to meet with Grey and Agile first to get them caught up with how to use the ground unit and AI air unit management tools.

The dogfight mission was updated to fix the Betty non-spawn issue - if we wanted I could run the proposed first campaign mission tonight, once the side commanders have chosen who's flying red/blue first.  I can then update the campaign/pilot files and the admin user files so the commanders could take a look at the management screens.

The plane set is as it was in the other thread, with the addition of aircraft that are being used by the AI (at the bottom of the lists here, after the sea planes):

USAAF/USN/RAF/FAA/RAAF:
  B-24J-100-CF
  B-25J-1NA
  BeaufighterMk21
  C-47
  F6F-5
  HurricaneMkIIc
  MosquitoFBMkVI
  P-38L-5-LO
  P-40M
  P-47D
  P-51B-NA
  SBD-5
  SeafireFMkIII
  SpitfireMkIXcM63
  TBF-1C
  PBY
===== below are AI aircraft which deduct from inventory when shot down =====
  P-38G-5-LO
  P-40E
  SBD-3
  TBF-1

IJA/IJN:
  A6M2-21_Late
  A6M5
  A6M5c
  B6N2
  D4Y3
  G4M1_11
  Ki-21-II
  Ki-43-II-Kai
  Ki-43-III-Ko
  Ki-44-II-Ko
  Ki-45-Kai-Ko
  Ki-45-otsu
  Ki-61-I-Hei
  Ki-84-Ia
  L2D
  A6M2-N
  H8K1
===== below are AI aircraft which deduct from inventory when shot down =====
  A6M2-21
  B5N2
  D4Y2
  Ki-43-II

One major difference is that this time the AI aircraft are located at the supply base as well as the remaining bases.  This way, the AI should spawn at any random base which has enough in the inventory to support the flights.  Humans can also fly these aircraft, although in some cases they will be older versions of the aircraft than the human versions.

S! Rel
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:56:10 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Burma 1944/45 Campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:06:21 pm »
Looks like a few issues I have to work on, so far:

- Prome airfield, bumpy (possibly others, have to test more).  Thrud mentioned using a clear airbase runway object to flatten things out.  I'll look into this for Prome and others to see if it helps the bumpiness.

- When folks joined the generated mission #1 not all of the airfields were shown, so I need to research this.

If you see any other issues feel free to post here.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 08:21:08 pm »
I figured out the issue where only three red airfields were showing.  Apparently the PBN is causing the issue when you have any load out beyond default.  I've tested the mission using the PBY and the issue appears to have gone away.  I'll need to update the aircraft file and regenerate the possible first mission plus modify the sample generated missions we were using.

I also played around with the settings and I was able to get just the mini map icon for your own plane (white icon) to show, as requested.  So for now at least we can see where we are in the dogfight server.  This should be helpful as we can't use the toggle-smoke command in the dogfight server like we can in the real campaign mission to see where we are.

The dogfight server now has all airfields showing, and the mini-map shows your own plane icon.

More to tweak/test.

S! Rel
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:34:40 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »
Way to go, Rel. Looks great!! Thanks for all the work you do.

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:41:14 am »
Hey Rel, any word on the progress of the rough airfield fixes yet?

Yesterday flew a bit from the blue supply base and the field was almost unflyable. If you get an a/c up you almost cannot land it without nosing it over and destroying the aircraft.

Came in with a zeke very slow approach about 100mph on landing touched down gently and still rolled the a/c over. Then the plane caught fire andit would have been a total loss on our campaign server.

If this cant be fixed, the blue side will go through planes like water.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 10:17:36 am »
Yeah, I found a set of runway objects I can use but they are really small.  I'm trying them out on Prome to see if they help with that field first - I need to run the sim and test it out yet.  It took about 15 of these objects to cover the Prome runway so if it fixes the rough runway issue its going to take me a while to update them all...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:19:17 am by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »
I added new runway objects to Prome airfield on the dogfight server map.  It seems to help with the bumpiness of the runway.  I also added one extra runway object near the three hangars where the edge of a tile was causing tail draggers to nose over.  I couldn't fix the tile issue, but by adding the sandy colored runway object you can see the edge of the tile and avoid it when taxiing from that one spawn point.  I've attached a couple pics.

One favor, it's kind of a pain to add these objects, line them up, test, copy/paste them into the appropriate campaign files, etc...  I really don't want to have to do this to all airfields, not to mention the added object count that may affect memory, etc.  It would be extremely helpful if guys can test out the various airfields on the dogfight server to make sure it's needed.  If an airfield's runway is smooth enough to proceed as is, I'd rather not have to add these objects.

Grey, you mentioned the blue supply base so I'll have to go check that out.  If needed I'll add the runway objects, but if you guys can check out all the airfields it would save me some time.  Just doing what I did re: fixing Prome takes me an hour or two, with researching, placement, testing, etc.  Don't want to have to do it more than needed :).  Please provide the grid location when identifying an airfield so I can be sure I look at the correct one.  Please provide:

- Status:  Airfield is OK as is or needs runway tiles to smooth it out.
- Grid location of the airfield.
- Additional information that might be helpful, such as it's only bumpy in a particular area of the airfield/runway/etc.

Thanks!

S! Rel

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:58:14 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 03:04:51 pm »
Thanks Rel,

I will pop on tonite and try to give you a update on all the blue bases.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 06:18:44 pm »
OK Rel,

Here's what I found at each of the blue bases. I will ask that any of the other blue pilots chime in on this and give your opinions on the runway conditions at each of these bases also.

1.) BK-30 Toungoo: BOTH Take Off and Landings were both smooth. I think it's good to go.

2.) BE-25 Zigon: BOTH Take Off and Landings were a little rough, with some bouncy conditions especially on landing. A number of Blue pilots have had issues with nose-overs. Mostly on landings.

3.) BM-22 Pyuntaza: BOTH Take Off and Landings were really rough, definitely will need work on this one!

4.) AZ-14 Bassein: BOTH Take Off and Landings were both smooth. I think it's good to go.

5.) BI-14 Rangoon: Big Airbase, 3 Runways! BOTH Take Off and Landings at each of the three runways were smooth. I think it's good to go.

6.) BT-10 Moulmein: The BLUE SUPPLY BASE. BOTH Take Off and Landings were really rough, definitely we will need work on this one!

I have not checked out the SeaPlane bases for conditions there. But those bases listed above are what I have found conditions at so far. I would say Pyuntaza and Moulmein for sure are going to need work. The base at Zigon, it's rough on take off but it's doable. The landings there are going to be the big problem. My opinion is to just go ahead and fix that one too. So three bases on the blue side should be verified by other people to validate my findings.

TTYL

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »
Thanks Grey!

This helps a lot - knowing I can skip 3 airfields (so far) will save time.  I'll be busy tonight helping my son move.  I'll be out the next couple of days so if someone flying red can test out the remaining red bases (Prome is fixed) it would be appreciated.  I hope to work on the existing campaign fixes by Thursday.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:20 am »
Rel, I know your still working on some of the airfields on the Burma map for our upcoming campaign. Can I ask why you put one of the Seaplane bases near Rangoon. That particular Seaplane base is somewhat useless for the Japanese side as it very small and narrow for manuevering the larger H8K1 Flying Boats.

Both of the Allied seaplane bases are more situated towards open ocean and along the coastline. Was that particular base historically accurate and required. If not, can that Japanese seaplane base be relocated?

Maybe near the AW-14 stop or just south of that along the coast, or even further south near the mouths of the rivers at BB-6 or BC-6.

Just asking because as I mentioned the current location of that particular seaplane base is going to almost make that base useless to us.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:06:29 am »
Hey Grey - I didn't create any seaplane bases, they are part of the map.  I just add a home base object to make the base usable.

There are only so many available, and other than the ones near the supply base (I chose one), there weren't any others in Japanese territory than the one by Rangoon...

I'll look again, but I don't think I'll have many options.  I agree it's a little narrow, but it's usable with some cautious takeoffs and landings - otherwise it's a long flight to/from the supply seaplane base.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 05:34:25 pm »
I checked the red bases, and here's what I found:

- Thayetemyo / BC-32 seems smooth, although there is a bump across the whole northern tip of the runway (you can see the mound), so watch your landing approach.  Should be OK as is.

- Pyinmana / BI-35 seems decent for take off, but I had a rough time landing, always seemed to bounce too much and nose over (using the Spit as it's a good taxi/take off/landing smoothness tester.  I will need to smooth this one out.

- Taungup / AV-29 seems bouncy, couldn't take off with the Spit, kept nosing over on the big bounces.  I'll need to smooth this one.

- Kyaukpyu / AQ-33 seems smooth, should be OK as is.

- Akyab / AM-39 has some minor bumpiness but takeoff is OK.  However, for landing the Spit had a tendency to nose over so I should smooth it out as well.

- Prome is a known issue.

All in all, the map maker dropped the ball big time on the airfields/runways, how could they not smooth them out (did they even test)?

I'll continue working on those.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 01:37:50 pm »
S! all,

Here's an update - I've updated the dogfight server mission with all of the bouncy runways fixed.  I've placed flat runway section objects on the runways mentioned in this thread by Grey and myself.  Hopefully this will fix the issue - note that this doesn't fix the bumpiness outside of the runway, so you'll still need to taxi fairly slowly or you'll probably still nose over.  I've already updated the campaign files, and have regenerated a new possible first mission and I verified that the new runway sections were created in the mission file, so we should be good to go there.

When you have time, feel free to jump in the practice mission and take off from all of the runways that you can to ensure things are good.    Hopefully we won't have any other issues, but time will tell.  I haven't had a chance to sit with Grey or Agile yet, and since Agile is away for another week or so from home I probably won't be able to for another week or more depending in their availability.

For tonight, we can try the first mission again to test, or just stick with the dogfight server mission.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 03:24:37 pm »
One more comment regarding airfields:

Taungup / AV-29 - this airfield really sucks, even with the airfield runway objects.  They do smooth out the small bumps, however for the big bumps you actually can see the flat runway object elevated such that there's a vertical gap between two textures.  This is because the bump is too large to flatten.  It sort of gives you a hint of where the next big bump is, and if in a tail dragger you can sometimes make it past the bump if you keep your speed up a little, pull your stick all the way back and don't use your brakes - then brake hard once you make it to the next smooth area.  You'll have to see/experience it to see what I mean - the area just wasn't smoothed out by the map maker.

There aren't other airfields in this area, so there aren't any options for Red in this part of the map.  Aircraft with nose gear shouldn't have a problem, they will just bounce a little.  What I could do is take all of the tail dragger aircraft out of this airfield and spread them out across the other 4 airfields not including the supply base.   

S! Rel