Author Topic: Looking for a new monitor  (Read 782 times)

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Looking for a new monitor
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:59:01 am »
All

I am in the process of looking for a new monitor.  I am thinking of a 27" 1440p 144 Hz setup.  Anyone have ine or any suggestions?  Also thinking IPS instead on TN but not sure of the  4 ms response time.

TIA
Clytter

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a new monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:08:12 pm »
we bought LCD TV's for less then $300 up to 32", that work as either a tv or computer monitor. You should be able to find a large selection, look on Newegg and see what people like in reviews. As far as dot pitch size .... well, the dots are so small now, that a name brand probably has the better quality... look at the connectors to see what you can connect, the warranty, etc..

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:19:42 pm »
I'm using a 1080 capable 37" JVC television and absolutely LOVE it. I tried going to a 40", but it was just too big for me to use with Track IR. The 37" is perfect. Be SURE to get the 1080 instead of the typical 720 resolution, otherwise you'll be limited to the 720 resolution height and picture quality will be poor. Also, I tried a Samsung, but the one I got did not have a HDMI input. Go figure!
So, I swapped it out for the JVC.
Televisions are DEFINITELY cheaper than an official monitor yet should  last as long.
If you go the TV route, be sure to get a digital to HDMI adaptor to use when you plug the monitor into your video card. Otherwise, you're likely going to end up with soundcard and/or microphone conflicts when the video card starts using the video card to also control your sounds. Plan on using external desktop or headphone speakers.
Save yourself the headache and get the adaptor first thing. Be sure to use the HDMI cable from the adaptor to the TV HDMI input on the television. The TV might not be able to support the 4-5 ns writing and you'll just have to live with the 7ns write speed, but even though you're a nuclear scientist, I doubt you're ever going to notice the difference.
 ::)
Keep the remote handy to power up the TV if you lose power to it. There are buttons on it to turn it on, but the remote is handier, and it satisfies the male's incessant craving to hold something incredibly powerful within one's grasp.
 :D
Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:23:57 pm by AKA_Goshawk »

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:33:58 pm »
 8)Hi Clutter, I just saw your Message, "Looking for a new monitor. I have a 27 ", ASUS MT276 HE. I used it for about 4 months, but could not figure out how to connect it using the HDMI connection. DOs and I worked on the problem the whole 4 months. Dos recommended a 32" TV monitor which I installed (in HDMI). Thhttp:// had a really beautiful picture, and was used about 4 months. It has been sitting in my closet for about 1 year now. If you still need a new monitor, I will sell it to you for next to nothing. It has excellent performance and it doesn't deserve to sit uselessly in my closet if someone can use it. I can send you the Handbook with all the specs if I can figure out a way to do that.
Oh yeah, I figured out how to connect the HDMI about 2 weeks after I installed the 32" Smart TV, naturally.

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:35:57 am »
o7 Wayno,

Thanks for the response and offer.  I went with an Acer XB271HU.  It is 27" at 1440p and 144 Hz.  I've had it about a week and love it so far.  Now i need anew video card  to drive it properly.  It never ends.  😆

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,