Author Topic: Belated Merry Christmas AKA!  (Read 1185 times)

Offline AKA_Avatar

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Belated Merry Christmas AKA!
« on: December 27, 2016, 07:46:04 am »
Hey guys, hope you all had some great holiday time with the family.

I haven't been gaming much at all as my gaming computer's SSD drive died about 10 days after my last post and I just got a new one for Christmas... So my holiday was spent doing boring computer work trying to get my rig back up and running... Of course Murphy is in town and things did not go smoothly at all... Still have tons of software to reinstall, too.

The "good" news is that my wife's job should still be here until at least July, possibly even until the end of the year so I should be able to hold on to this computer a little longer...

S! guys.

Offline AKA_BUCKY

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Belated Merry Christmas AKA!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:46:28 am »
Hey AV... Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!  Having some fun with Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow sim.  And did you see the post about Cliffs and team fusion working with 1C to develop it?  Very cool stuff going on.  Hope to see you in the skies... 8)

Bucky
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:50:49 am by AKA_BUCKY »

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:07 pm »
Merry Christmas Av! and Happy new year!

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 01:03:12 pm »
Good hearing from you Av - happy holidays to you.
S! Rel

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »
Av,
Do you need me to send you a copy of the game as it is now updated since the last time you flew with us?
Let me know. Shoot me an email. I still have your address in Barkhamsted.
I'll mail you a thumb drive with the files that you can copy to your hard drive.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Avatar

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:24:27 pm »
Thanks guys, yes, Happy New Year now seeing it's almost upon us! time flies even if you aren't having fun. lol

Bucky, yes, I did see that notice about Cliffs. Unfortunately, with my "newer" computer it is not as fancy or massive like my last one that had 6 internal and 2 external drives. This one only has one SSD drive so that has made me have to limit the games I put on it. As for flight sims I just have DCS (but 3 versions- which is the main problem) and BoS/BoM. I also have Hearts of Iron IV and that's it for games. The rest is the OS and essentials. I miss my old rig... :'(

Gos, as always, the man to the rescue! Unfortunately, as I just indicated above I don't have the space for it, assuming you're meaning the old tried and true IL-2 1946... I've gotten too much into the helos of DCS for me to give up on those installs. Hopefully, by the time 2.5 comes out it will be a much smaller footprint with only one install so I can maybe add no some more. That's assuming my wife still has a job by then and I still have the "luxury" of a gaming computer... unfortunately my income alone isn't enough to support all of our needs/desires. But in the mean time I can fly! :D I'm almost to the point where I had everything before the HD failure, just in time for a 3 day weekend, though there will be lots of family time interfering with my important gaming moments... >:( ;)

I haven't looked around yet but is there a schedule of when you guys fly what floating around some where? I'll poke around some this weekend when I get some free time. Then I just need to pick up a headset/mic and I should be good to go to try and test my online connectability. :) Fingers crossed Murphy doesn't rear his ugly mug once again...

Off to go grab some chow and hang with the wife before crashing and dealing with more snow tomorrow morning... hopefully not too many people will cancel. So Happy New Year lads! Talk to/see you soon. S!

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 02:22:36 pm »
S~ Av good to see you around and kickin'! Hope you have a great upcoming year ...Peace bro!
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:45:45 pm »
Hey, Av.
I sent this email some time back, but got no response.

I read your reply on the forum. I understand the predicament.
As it happens, I'm willing and able to send you the entire game installed on a 500 GB SATA hard drive that you can install in your case for free if it will get you back into the cockpit with us. Let me know. I can have it there within a few days. That will give you about 480 GB of spare space for other games too. Hope to hear from you soon and we really do miss flying with you!!

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Avatar

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 07:53:50 am »
Hey, Av.
I sent this email some time back, but got no response.

I read your reply on the forum. I understand the predicament.
As it happens, I'm willing and able to send you the entire game installed on a 500 GB SATA hard drive that you can install in your case for free if it will get you back into the cockpit with us. Let me know. I can have it there within a few days. That will give you about 480 GB of spare space for other games too. Hope to hear from you soon and we really do miss flying with you!!

Gos

That's odd, I replied the next day on the 30th at 9:04am as I wasn't working- just got the flu... Here's what I wrote:

"Hey Gos,

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm not as "connected" as I used to be. Only my gaming rig has internet, I disconnected my work computer as it has no need to access the net... So I have to intentionally go on it to check my email... I've actually come to prefer it this way so I'm not as inundated with so much mindless crap in addition to my worthwhile communications! lol

Thanks for the generous offer. Unfortunately, the tiny case I have has sacrificed space for cooling. It literally has room for only one drive, maybe 2 SSD drives if I stack them on top of each other but there won't be any room between them and I doubt that would be good. I actually still have a couple of old platter drives laying around but am unable to use them in this gaming rig. But thanks, I do appreciate it!

Do not many play DCS or BoS/BoM? I know IL-2 1946 was always the main game the squad played, is this still true?
Av"

I have also since had a minor adventure... as I said, on the 30th I caught the flu and didn't work, pretty much had a fever and chills that day and the next. Couldn't breathe through my nose and was sleeping like crap so I set up a bed downstairs in my study so as not to disturb my wife and get her sick. Well 2 days of not eating, fever and chills, I get up Sunday morning (bed is on the floor) and stood up way too fast for the very low blood pressure I had at the moment. Passed right out, fell over and cracked my head on the corner of my desk. Knocked myself out for over 30 min. was bleeding from my head, my wife found me about 30 min. after I had done this and couldn't wake me, called an ambulance and I finally started coming back to myself to find five strangers kneeling around me with a cop standing in the doorway... had a ride to the hospital, got checked out with a CT scan, x-rays, etc. and they couldn't find anything. Came home a couple of hours later... But the good news was I no longer had the flu! LOL Weird way to start the year. And now with all those unexpected bills at the worst time of the year to get them I may have to start selling some shit again...

So that's where I am, how are you guys and your new years? :)

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 10:59:06 am »
"got checked out with a CT scan, x-rays, etc. and they couldn't find anything. "

Damn,. that's bad. There's supposed to be gray matter up there. When I was training to be an EMT I had an instructor that said it's maybe OK to lose about 70% of it with no consequence other than maybe improving one's sense of humor, but it might not do well for you to have "nothing" up there, Av.
You might be able to stop by Toys R Us and pick up some gray modeling clay and start packing it into the cranium through the ear canals, but it's dicey at best. Good luck with that.
Sorry to hear of the fall and injury. Hope you get back to normal soon. Things with the computer will eventually work out how you want them. Where there's a will there's a way, they still say.
Please keep us updated.
Regarding the sims the squad flies not\w, we've branched off a bit \with about 1/3 playing COD or BOS and no longer playing IL-2. Others have gone to DCS but still dabble with IL-2. Once I retire I'll hopefully start spending more time with the other sims too.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Avatar

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 06:11:37 pm »
"got checked out with a CT scan, x-rays, etc. and they couldn't find anything. "

Damn,. that's bad. There's supposed to be gray matter up there. When I was training to be an EMT I had an instructor that said it's maybe OK to lose about 70% of it with no consequence other than maybe improving one's sense of humor, but it might not do well for you to have "nothing" up there, Av.
You might be able to stop by Toys R Us and pick up some gray modeling clay and start packing it into the cranium through the ear canals, but it's dicey at best. Good luck with that.

LMAO! Well, my dad always said to me growing up that if I ever had a brain I'd be dangerous so I guess it's a good thing I don't!!

Sorry to hear of the fall and injury. Hope you get back to normal soon. Things with the computer will eventually work out how you want them. Where there's a will there's a way, they still say.
Please keep us updated.

Well, with 3 parents at their end stages of life and the associated bills, wife's job being ended in a few months, priorities have to be made...

Regarding the sims the squad flies not\w, we've branched off a bit \with about 1/3 playing COD or BOS and no longer playing IL-2. Others have gone to DCS but still dabble with IL-2. Once I retire I'll hopefully start spending more time with the other sims too.

Ah, okay, thanks!