Author Topic: So I went to Walmart to pick up some motor oil...  (Read 529 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
So I went to Walmart to pick up some motor oil...
« on: May 27, 2017, 04:29:21 pm »
and stopped at the McDonald's to have a McChicken sandwich and small smoothie.  While waiting I sat down near an older gentleman with a cap stating Vietnam Veteran on it, with quite a few pins on it.  I asked him when he served and what service and he said he was a naval aviator, which of course peaked my interest.

Initially he flew F-8 Crusaders off of the Enterprise starting in '64, flying CAS missions supporting Marines.  He generally attacked and dropped bombs at treetop level.  Asked what the main threat was and he mentioned soldiers firing (assault) rifles up at him since he was so low.  He mentioned the variable (incidence) wing, which allowed the pilot to sit lower (better visibility for landing)  since the tilt provided additional lift without having to raise the AoA of the fuselage to match that of the wing.  True to form he called it "the last of the gunfighters" :) since it was the last US fighter with guns as the main armament.  He eventually transferred to P-2 Neptunes and P-3 Orion's. He flew for the navy for 8 years.  Was a nice, though short, conversation, and as I got up to leave I shook his hand and told him it was an honor, then left to get my oil.

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
Re: So I went to Walmart to pick up some motor oil...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 05:17:25 pm »
Nice!
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Agilehunter

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:35 am »
Good on ya!
My Primary flight buddy was a guy named Pete Walsh; tallish and slender, then.  He flew F-8's and had a cold cat shot, I heard through the grapevine.  Never found him again.
He would be 69 yrs old now.
I wonder...

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:03:54 pm »
My Primary flight buddy was a guy named Pete Walsh; tallish and slender, then.  He flew F-8's and had a cold cat shot, I heard through the grapevine.  Never found him again.
He would be 69 yrs old now.
I wonder...

Sorry to hear that Agile...

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:18:19 am »
I talked at length with pilots who flew in the Flying Tigers,, a B24 mission for North Africa to Europe to the oil fields.. and many other pilots.. but one that stood out was the survivor of the kamikazee attacks on his ship off of Okinawa.. he was either in a bad mood, sick, or? he was chatting with someone and I heard him say something about the ship. I went over to say hi, but probably had a flashback of a horrible time.. so I just said Thank you, and went back to my seat. I had no words and didn't want to say anything that distressed him any more. This was at a VA hospital in a waiting room with that last guy. Some of these guys are still sharp witted and are relatively strong, for so long of a life. Some of these guys knew people like Pappy, Chenault, and others.. and had some very strong opinions about them too. I get offers to go flying often, but my health sucks so I would rather stay on the ground. I don't even drive much any more. It's peaceful here, where I am. I hope all of you guys that want peace consider living out in the country.   ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case