Author Topic: Good fun on in TAW tonight Hang, Bucky, Scorp  (Read 474 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Good fun on in TAW tonight Hang, Bucky, Scorp
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
Was good to have a few of us together for a few missions on TAW tonight, much more fun when we have some decent numbers.  Hopefully we'll continue to have more guys taking up BoS/M and getting used to and more confident in their abilities flying the sim.

We did pretty decent in our sorties, the four of us putting some hurt to some of their ground targets:  http://taw.stg2.de/pilots_mission.php?mission_id=486

If anyone has any questions about TAW, feel free to post them here, we'll try to answer and get you up to speed so you can try it out.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Good fun on in TAW tonight Hang, Bucky, Scorp
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:17:45 am »
Sorry I missed it, we had some friends over.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:47:11 am »
How about posting some tips to help the newer guys get up to speed with the sim?
For example: in COD, it became necessary to know that the fuel had to be switched
to the main or reserve tank before the engine would start, and  the radiator had to be opened
right off the bat to insure against gasket failure and seizure problems. Additionally, it
was necessary to control the RPM using prop pitch. It was also necessary to align the canopy with the door frame if starting inside the small hangar. German planes had their own idiosyncrasies that were typically unknown by beginners.

There are little things that need to be known in order for the BOS planes to be flown without frustration,
but are not posted anywhere. Please make a list of the tips needed to make the experience a good one for the newer guys to get their planes taxiing properly without doing endless donuts and flying without self-destructing in the air.

Thanks.

Gos 

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:46:19 am »
Except for the P-40 BoS/M aircraft are pretty forgiving and the sim warns you before things go sideways.

I press the start button, wait until it is finished the start sequence, open oil/water/air rads, set the prop to high rpm (100%, some AC have it set at 0% after the start sequence) and then taxi.

Taxiing just takes practice and patience, don't rush things.

Once airborne I reduce rads to 50%, power and prop to 90% and you can fly around like that.

Start with the Yak, IL-2 or Pe2 they are all pretty easy.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »
I updated the TAW info at a glance thread, adding target info: http://akawardogs.co/forum/index.php?topic=1655.0
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:10:11 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »
Oh man, nothing like a 1 on 1 dogfight to get the ticker pumping.  Jumped on TAW to do a quick dive bombing run with a Pe-2 ser 87, initially to hit a bridge, but someone got it, so instead was going to bomb the Kalinin airfield, which was closed to take offs for the Germans.  Left Nesterovo headed north west, then suddenly a contact appeared at 10 OC low, twin engine.  Thought it was another Pe-2 coming home, then I realized it was a Bf110-E2.  We passed and I saw him pull up to attempt an immelman maneuver on me.  But, I was slightly higher so I dropped my bombs and split-S'd which started a classic twin engine vs twin engine dogfight!

We were maneuvering in a sort of semi-vertical/semi-horizontal right circle/looping fight.  Although I dropped a wing slightly a couple of times, my gunners were getting a few hits and as I got closer to a firing solution he tried to break away to the left - sorry mate, I was able to get guns on and hit him hard, his left engine/wing catching fire, and he crash landed.  Decided it was time to go home, but it was a good day lol :).

Just a reminder for you Pe-2 drivers, once you drop your bombs, you're basically a Bf-110-comparable fighter - I think it has 1 heavy and 1 light machine gun in the nose.  Good stuff!

S! Rel