Author Topic: TAW Info At A Glance  (Read 2091 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
TAW Info At A Glance
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:51:14 am »
TAW sitehttp://taw.stg2.de

AKA Pilots on TAW (Check your aircraft inventory before you join the server!): http://taw.stg2.de/stats.php?search_name=Aka%5C%5C_

TAW Teamspeak Info Page (See who's on): http://taw.stg2.de/ts3.php

TAW Teamspeak IP: taw-server.de:9988 (Pwd: "taw1942")

TAW Manual (Describes how it works, plus plane set towards the bottom): http://taw.stg2.de/manual.php

Before you join the TAW server in BOS/M, please check your personal TAW stats page (see AKA Pilots On TAW link above, select yourself), and check your aircraft inventory (I have this page open on my cell phone so it's handy when I'm flying TAW).   Only choose an aircraft that you have 1 or more of.  Otherwise you will be kicked if you spawn in an invalid aircraft you have none of.

Also, if you have, for example, 1 LaGG-3, and you fly it and lose it (crash, bailed out, etc.), it's up to you to self-manage.  In other words you know you have 0 LaGG-3 aircraft, even though your stats page still shows 1 (since it's not updated until the current mission, which typically lasts 1hr 47min, is finished).  If you take off with a LaGG-3 anyway, the stats will show INVALID PLANE and anything you just did would not count (kills, etc).

On a similar note, if you ground loop a plane trying to take off and a wing hits the ground, it may be considered a DITCH and you may have just lost that plane for 3 missions before it's available again.  Thus you may need to switch to a different aircraft type to be sure (unless you had 2 of that type to start with).

To earn new aircraft in TAW, you must fly successful combat missions (I.e "CM" listed at the right of your sorties, which are at the bottom of your stats page).  After 3 CM's, you will get an aircraft added to your inventory.  If you die or are captured, the number of CM's resets to 0.

A CM is:

- Fly for at least 5 minutes and get an air or ground kill, and land (or be in flight at mission end)
- Fly for at least 15 minutes without any kills, and land (or be in flight at mission end)
- Fly a transport aircraft (for red, a Pe-2, for blue, an He-111 or Ju-88, with 100% fuel and no bombs or rockets, plus the Ju-52 w/cargo) from an airfield damaged less then 40% and land on an airfield damaged more than 0% (but not 85% or more) - no need to fly at least 15 minutes for this.  This is a relatively safe and quick way to get a CM, as long as you aren't attacked on the way to the friendly base you are resupplying.

Targets to hit include the following:
- Enemy aircraft
- Enemy airfields (indicated by "Attack!" within the in-game brief/map only, otherwise there are no targets to hit on an airfield) - on the map it will show as a fighter silhouette, with a circle around it.  Heavy AAA, targets include hangars, fuel depots and parked aircraft - see this page/pic for an example:  http://taw.stg2.de/airfields.php?map=Moscow_North&name=Simonkovo . Some success with Pe-2 level bombing at 3km+, more success with Pe-2 dive bombing starting from 2.5-3km, with lots of direction changes as you pull out of the dive
- Enemy defensive positions - on the map it will show as what looks like a curved saw blade (arc with 4 bumps), with a circle around it.  Heavy AAA, targets include bunkers, tanks, artillery, trucks, AAA.  This target is fairly spread out, usually in an open area.  Some success with Pe-2 level bombing at 3km+, more success with Pe-2 dive bombing starting from 2.5-3km, with lots of direction changes as you pull out of the dive
- Enemy tank convoys - on the map it will show as a tank silhouette, with a circle around it.  Heavy AAA, targets include tanks, half tracks, AAA vehicles, trucks.  Always on a road.  Need to kill AAA vehicles first before attacking tanks or you will get shredded.
- Enemy controlled bridges - on the map it will show as a bridge silhouette, with a circle around it.  Moderate AAA, targets include the bridge structure itself plus the AAA on either end of the bridge. Good success with Pe-2 dive bombing starting from 2.5-3km, with lots of direction changes as you pull out of the dive.  Enemy controlled train is not on every mission/map
- Enemy trains (at a train station) - on the map it will show as a train silhouette, with a circle around it.  Moderate AAA, targets include the train (stationary), train loading area, trucks, AAA.  Some success with Pe-2 level bombing at 3km+, more success with Pe-2 dive bombing starting from 2.5-3km, with lots of direction changes as you pull out of the dive.  Enemy train is not on every mission/map
- Enemy truck supply convoys - on the map it will show as a truck silhouette, with a circle around it.  Light AAA, targets include trucks and AAA vehicle(s).  Always on a road.  Usually only one or two AAA vehicles - kill those before strafing the trucks.  Enemy truck supply convoy is not on every mission/map
- Enemy supply factories - on the map it will show as a factory building silhouette, with a circle around it.  Heavy AAA, targets are industrial buildings.  This target is always deep inside enemy territory, best attacked with high altitude level bombing due to the amount of AAA

See current map page for an example of all of the silhouette icons - blue is German, red is Russian: http://taw.stg2.de/map.php
(Note:  The cities with no airfield nearby will show as a building silhouette, with a square around it - no targets to hit there, only a target for tanks)

For more information, please see the TAW Manual link above.

Please sticky! (Thanks MattE)

Thanks.. S! Rel

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:37:47 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: TAW Info At A Glance
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:47 pm »
I noticed that in the current round of TAW the rules slightly changed regarding closed airfields:

It’s not possible to land on closed airfield.

So now you can't attack enemy forces near a closed friendly base and land there or you will be considered to have ditched.  Sort of a bummer but that means the other guys can't do the same thing - have to land back at an active airbase.

Landing supply planes on closed airbases is still OK (of course you only get credit if the damage to the airbase is less than 85%).

S! Rel

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:35:49 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »
crap, Hang and I thought because it still had a firepit on it that we could land there... I landed at one of the 'white bases' after a nice bomb mission - lost my pe2 tonight I now see . :(

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:34:14 am »
How do we know what Map # will be - anyone know ?  http://taw.stg2.de/rules.php

Germans are nearly ready to win so I'm curious what the next map is.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:44 am »
How do we know what Map # will be - anyone know ?  http://taw.stg2.de/rules.php

Germans are nearly ready to win so I'm curious what the next map is.

In the previous round, they used only the Moscow and Stalingrad maps, not sure if they will use the Kuban map in this round, since it's so new.  They basically just shifted to different areas of the maps, for example, Moscow north, Moscow south, Stalingrad south, north, central, etc...  Since this is early, I think they'll use Moscow again, just a different section.