Author Topic: VKB T-Rudder MK.IV Review ..long winded  (Read 1563 times)

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
VKB T-Rudder MK.IV Review ..long winded
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:51:18 am »
After setting up and flying for a few days and getting my brakes sorted I thought I would submit my review...hope it helps anyone considering these.....

So I've been searching the last year or so for a precision rudder setup to compliment my Warthog ..In the past I've used CH pedals , Saitek Pro flights, Thrustmaster T-Flight's ...and my homemade set :) There are really only 3 choices for high resolution/last forever types out there .... Slaw device =$500  MFG Crosswinds=$360  VKB =$250 ...these are all high quality sets that use Mars sensor technology for the rudder axis ....The price tags tho  :o

In the end after thinking long and hard about it I went with the VKB's and when I got them I wasn't disappointed. These are all metal and use the latest tech.... A no contact Mars sensor that can detect up to 0.01 ° I could tell a huge difference in DCS right away, very smooth and accurate.  I was maneuvering the gazelle much more precisely and could hover and land much easier right off the bat. I'm a Helicopter rookie so the difference was night and day compared to my pro flights or TM's. These are perfect for Heli's

They are very compact and solid and quiet. They look like they may feel like a gas pedal would but they don't, you still have that rudder pedal feel. You push down on one pedal and the other comes up and I find that the motion of using my ankle joint rather than my knee and leg much more comfortable flying from an office chair like I do. i also didn't want my feet in a cradle foot pad like the other set's, for me I like my heel on the floor.

The one drawback is no toe brakes...this is why I originally ruled them out right away without even looking into them...But I started thinking how often do I use toe brakes? 5% of my sim time maybe....is that worth $160-$300 more? I fly sim aircraft not race them on the tarmac  ;) Then I noticed that VKB had software that you run in the back ground while playing that make virtual toe brakes and it works well ....I ran around the tarmac in the P-51 at break neck speed testing it and it does all I need. It works like the "differential brakes" used by English/Russian WWII era planes or later in the Mig-15, Mig-21... that "bicycle brake lever" in their control column.
In VKB T-Link software this "brake lever" is emulated by a joy/throttle button of your choice, that pressed will brake both wheels, by moving the rudder pedal for right or left ,only the brake for the respective wheel. Here's it is in action.

I only use it at the moment for the ww2 birds in DCS  as for the jets I use nose wheel steering and you don't need to run it at all in Battle of Stalingrad as that system is already set up in game .

All in all I'm very happy with the setup and I honestly think these are the last rudder pedals I'll ever own..  if anyone's interested I got them for $199 at x-plane out of Fla. with free ship and no tax.. everywhere else wants $250 so I jumped on them. Nice pics in the link as well ...http://store-x-plane-org.3dcartstores.com/VKB-T-Rudder-Pedals-MkIV_p_571.html

Software interface below

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:31:18 pm by AKA_Sully »
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080 WINDFORCE 3X OC l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: VKB T-Rudder MK.IV Review ..long winded
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 05:20:51 pm »
OK...so how to F do you set up the toe brakes???????????????

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:07 pm »
For Stalingrad? Or just in general? ....let me see if I can find my old posts when I asked Sokol about it .
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080 WINDFORCE 3X OC l Win7 64 bit

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:40:14 pm »
yeah...im haveing a hard time here..tried that post cant get it to work.

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:12:54 pm »
I can assign a button. But can not get the reading like in your picture on the right side

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:46:03 pm »
Do you have to hold your main brake key while pressing either pressing left or right to get the differentiation braking? To be honest this kind of shit pisses me off to no end..

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:35:03 am »
Do you have to hold your main brake key while pressing either pressing left or right to get the differentiation braking? To be honest this kind of shit pisses me off to no end..

Yes ...you do have to hold the button .... So long as you keep the virtual toe brake button pressed, the Y and Z axes go to the max extent...full brakes. If you depress the left/right rudder pedals respectively, while still pressing and holding the virtual toe brake button, only the Y or the Z axis is activated.

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 03:43:50 am »
Look at this thread I posted in when I got them ...I remember having issues figuring it out too but got help ....don't give up, once its done you'll be happy

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=155806&page=19

And this is another link ...I'm pretty sure this one cleared it up for me http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2578

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »
I dont know whats going on. In the Tlink on the right side where you have the left and right brake and rudder in center. I have no responce there and it stays at 0

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:28:42 am »
Another thread that might be of help https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204208