Author Topic: With The new Dev update 44 how do.....  (Read 864 times)

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
With The new Dev update 44 how do.....
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:44:53 am »
....you guys feel in general about the unlock style of games now?  I'm not really into it but is this the new way for flight Sims?

I'm considering getting on board with early access but I'm still on the fence.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/page-2#entry61628
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: With The new Dev update 44 how do.....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:21:41 am »
This type of unlock model works for FPS's so it should/might work for flight sims.  I would think that they will see how it is accepted with BoS and decide from there for future releases.

AKA_Scorp

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:43:50 pm »
I know and in FPS's most unlocks are rather quick .... I just hope you don't have to fly hours to get Bomb's and other essentials.
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:30 pm »
I think they are walking a tight rope here and it is hard to grasp exactly how the system will work, I am not sure if that is because they are being intentionally vague or if there is something lost in translation.

I can see if they want to get a younger crowd interested (the world of plane types) without that group having to make a large initial investment in the game this is a good strategy, they can buy the game at a low initial cost and work to unlock upgrades.  At the same time if you want to pay a premium and have everything right off the bat you can and this will appeal to the more die hard Sim fans. But as I said before it is not totally clear if this is the strategy.

I do think they are trying to get away from the ROF model where you have to pay for compasses and stuff that should be included in a aircraft model but how this new “unlock” system looks like is still very unclear. This is one of the major reasons that I am taking a wait and see approach to BOS (the second being the ability to campaign with it) and have financially supported COD and DCS WWII, that being said I will jump on BOS if they system allows me to pay for full access (not piecemeal) and not have to “unlock it”.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:49:38 pm »
It's new, maybe it will work - dunno - I am skeptical, but also think it could be interesting.. we'll see!