Author Topic: Need some expertise  (Read 39 times)

Offline AKA_Tennek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Need some expertise
« on: October 13, 2019, 06:54:12 pm »
I am thinking of going to a VR headset though I have a few questions. I am still running Windows 7 64 bit, are they compatible with it? I hesitate to upgrade to 10 because I am still using my CH products HOTAS. I understand that CH products doesn't support windows 10 and has stopped its support in general. Suggestions, opinions

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Need some expertise
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:37:39 pm »
You will have to go to Windows 10 to use VR, no if ands or buts about it.

What are your systems specs.

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:31:28 am »
VR is totally worth it though if your system can support it.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:14:26 am »
I am thinking of going to a VR headset though I have a few questions. I am still running Windows 7 64 bit, are they compatible with it? I hesitate to upgrade to 10 because I am still using my CH products HOTAS. I understand that CH products doesn't support windows 10 and has stopped its support in general. Suggestions, opinions
I use CH Hotas equip as well and have Windows 10. They work fine. I would recommend that you uninstall the equipment before installing Win10 then reinstall them after the upgrade. Others may have more input on this. Relent? I think you had some issues and found out how to fix them. I did not have a problem, but I think I might have had to uninstall them and reinstall after I upgraded. It's a pretty simple task.

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:17:32 am »

As Big10 stated you will have to go to Winows 10 for VR. 

Although I have swapped over to TM  Warthog HOTAS (still questioning THAT decision) I did still use my ZCH HOTAS for some ships.  I don't remember any issues.  Also I think Goshawk and several others still use CH gear and Wondows 10.  Post a question in the BOS or Genersl thread for a specific answer to that question.

Also, what are your system specifications AND what head set are you thinking of getting?

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift, PointCTRL, MFG Rudder Pedals

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:55:40 am »
I use CH with Win 10 and do not had any issues, I don't use any profiling software just the windows drivers.

If you install Win 10 you will want to do a clean install anyway so there is no need to uninstall them
AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:46:07 pm »
and install Win10 on SSD. Get a good size SSD, the old hard drives just can't keep up...

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Tennek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:48:25 pm »
This is what I have
i7-3930k CPU @ 3.2ghz
64 GB memory
NVIDA Geforce GTX 1070 w/8GB ram

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:24:25 pm »
I use the Program Manager software for my CH gear, but only because of limitations in IL-2 1946. So, I've set up my program so that the buttons for one sim perform the same function in the other sims I fly. That way I only have to load one profile which works for all my simulations.
I also use two Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's. The controls work fine in Win10.

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:31:13 pm »
This is what I have
i7-3930k CPU @ 3.2ghz
64 GB memory
NVIDA Geforce GTX 1070 w/8GB ram

They only issue you might have is your processor.

I was running VR with a i7-4790K and a 1070 and could play all my VR games okay with DCS and X-Planes 11 being the hardest on my system and giving me the lowestFPS. About 35-40 Wich is not great not terrible.

Battle of Stalingrad and so forth looks the best out of all my flight games in VR.

This was all on the Samsung Odyssey Plus and there are better out there but you are going to have to some serious upgrades to get the best out of them.

If you want to dip your toes into VR cheapest you can. You will need Windows10 and I got my copy for $15. If you plan on using the controls you will need a Bluetooth dongle unless your board has built in Bluetooth.

I just went with i7-9900K, 32gigs of 3200 ddr4, msi meg series mb and 500gigs Samsung evo plus m.2nvme and still using my old 1070. The card is now holding me back and that will have to come later. I notice a definitely difference in my FPS with those upgrades.

Alsoask  all the questions you can, we have Clutter, Mo, Tai and my self all have VR and will help however we can with your questions.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:21:37 pm by AKA_Big10 »

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:21:38 pm »
I ran a Oclus Rift CV1 on a i7 2700k @ 4.2 GHz, 26 ZGb RAB, and a 1080 FTW.  I got 40 -45 fps with some details(shadows) turned down or off.  I don't remember what my fos in NOx was.

After seeing Big10 system run this week end, there is no doubt that BOS is better optimized for VR than DCS.

We will be on TS tonight, so stop by and have a chat.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift, PointCTRL, MFG Rudder Pedals

Offline AKA_Tennek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:35:27 pm »
So, I think for the time being I will be staying where I am. I just picked up the GTX1070 along with an Alienware 34" monitor, thought I was doing good. So till I am able to get on board with DCS what I have will have to suffice. Maybe in the future a new build, though I can't see that happening to soon.
Thanks for the help.

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:42:06 pm »
I hope we did not scare you off. :-[