Author Topic: Flying in VR  (Read 2079 times)

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Flying in VR
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 07:37:23 pm »
Yea, looking back can be a pain in the neck (pun intended) but then again it was not easy.  At times, I almost wish I have handle grips to help with that.

I do think that my SA is better and a little easier to predict where the plane might be.

My guess is that this will be much bigger thing in about 4 - 6 years.  I am also guessing that it will always require a PC toward the top end.

Clutter

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:58 am »
One way to combat that they say to use a swivel office chair. Start looking back by swiveling that direction first ...
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »
This really has my interest up. I see that Amazon has the Rift for $399. Is this the latest one?
https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Touch-Virtual-Reality-System-pc/dp/B073X8N1YW/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:14:19 pm by AKA_Big10 »

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:01 pm »
Big_10,

That looks to be the laest.  Oculus Rift has been runnig a sale for some time.  This is whai got in August.

This is one of two companies that make lenes for vr sets.  The other is vr-lend.eu (See my thread above).  I went withvr-lens. Eu and am pleased.

I am interested to see how the Pimax works.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 07:14:06 pm »
My apologies Clutter, I must have skimmed over yours talking about the lens for the Rift. I like the price of the Rift now, I am afraid the Pimax will be out of my budget.

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 08:17:31 pm »
No apologies necessary.  Besides it helps to point the options out.

I haven't looked at the price of the Pimax as I have the Oculus Rift.  I think that may be part of the Oculus strategy.  Capture the market by mass numbers.

NOt sure that will work but ... ....

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:19 am »
Does it actually feel like you are indeed in the cockpit flying. Stand up and you would loose your balance.

Is it worth getting or is it more of a novelty item. Are the graphics okay with the rift as it is now.

If you were to use it in multiplayer, how far away can you easily make out another aircraft?

Offline AKA_Freddy

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
Hi all, I can perhaps add something on the glasses question,    I just got the Vive and after determining if my glasses frames would fit into Vive(at the store)  I bought it.    I went to my eye glass place locally and she lent me 3 pairs of regular reading glasses of higher strength 4.00 , 4.5 and 5.00,  they did not seem to make much difference.  My regular glasses are progressives which is not that good,, so far (only had on my head a few times)  just regular reading glasses seem to sharpen things up ok..  I am not sure what level of sharpness to expect even if my eyes where totally normal.   So after I get the resolution issues taken care of, I can then work on what glasses to wear.    I have until end of Jan. to return this Vive it it does not seem worth the money.     Other than how to access key commands and map things out on stick or throttle,, my little experience is quite immersive.

Cheers all and

Thanks

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:36 pm »
Does it actually feel like you are indeed in the cockpit flying. Stand up and you would loose your balance.

Is it worth getting or is it more of a novelty item. Are the graphics okay with the rift as it is now.

If you were to use it in multiplayer, how far away can you easily make out another aircraft?

You certianly get a cramped feeling in the cockpit and I have reached out to flip a switch several times.  I do think that i am more tired after flying n hour in VR than with  TrackIR and the flight sim.  In VR you dont have any interaction with the ouside invironment (mostly).  Generraly you can't stand up in the cockpit and when I have (Huey on the ground) I dont think you would every feel unbalanced because your standing on the floor.  Overall to meit feels like iam on the cockpit/plane and I fid it more immersive.

Reolution - It is much degraded over my 1440p 27" monitor.  I can readthe gages, but gey are fuzzy.  Some of the A10c MFD text is difficult to read. As for spotting planes I think the distance may be reducd but am not sure.  The other day, Matte and I were flying WOL in BOS and I spotted the planes first twice.  Thete cpukd be many reasons fir this.  One thing that is CERTAINTY true is that plane recognition is much mire difficult in VR

Do is it worth gettingor more of anovety item?  That is a very personal question.  I think is is boderline.  Thrud has a oculus roft DK1 and doesn't fly it due to resolution.  Me ?  I will probaly keep flying with it since I am not good a A2A and I really enjoy the immersive feeling.  I do think things will chane once the resolution increases.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:45:45 pm by AKA_Clutter »

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 05:14:54 pm »
Thanks Clutter, that did help a lot. I will hold out and see what comes of the Pimax. Thanks again.