Author Topic: Flying in VR  (Read 2110 times)

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Flying in VR
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
Salute Gents,
Thought I would share this with you as I am still delirious with joy!
I just flew a Spit with my new VR set. :o
All I can say is that it was the most incredible virtual flying I have experienced.
While it takes a few minutes to get used to performing aggressive maneuvers and acrobatics, once you settle into it you wonder what the hell you have missed all these years.
You may also find that landing is very different due to depth perception. I confess, I floated on the first attempted landing and went around for a second attempt as touch down would have been to far along the runway. (As per good flying practice and our Ops Manual)
The strangest part is when you maneuver your guts feel the same way they do in a real plane. It's AWSOME!
I won't tell you what slipped out my mouth when the cockpit came up in VR.  It would make a sheep blush!
The experience is absolutely phenomenal.  I can't wipe the grin off my chops!
I had the good fortune to sit in a real Spitfire in the UK this year (Not sure if I mentioned that Gos?) and this was pretty close to doing the same.
Did I mention I sat in a Spitfire Gos? 
Anyway, at present the Oculas is fairly reasonable and very easy to set up.  The price is somewhere near a mid range video card.
Even if you did not do anything else with the VR set, the flying alone is worth every penny.
I may check out if I can fly online with VR and if so I may jump in once I get really comfortable with it in about 1000 hrs of training and shit eating grins!
If you have been thinking about treating yourself.  Just do it!
The XO highly recommends it, just remember to bring a relief tube and barf bag!!
Check six!

Cheers

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: Flying in VR
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:19 pm »
I'll have to look into that, but isn't there an issue with not being able to see your keyboard and MFD controls while wearing that mask? Also, is there room for glasses for those of us who must wear these things?
Curious birdbrains want to know.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »
You could go without the MFD or move it to where you know it is.
I have flown well without the MFD in VR and by touch
With regards to glasses, there was something on the web site to answer that but I didn't read it

Cheers

Tai

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:07:24 pm »
OK, I'll jump in here, as I can see I have been tardy.

I got on Oculus Rift at the end of August.

The good think about it is that YOU ARE IN THE COCKPIT.  The bad thing is that YOU ARE IN THE COCKPIT.

to look be hind you, you actually have to look behind you!.  That is 180 degrees.  No cheating setup with Track IR.

I have been flying DCS, BOS, and Elite Dangerous.

The graphics aren't as good as on a flat screen of course and the resolution at times is less than desirable, but Tai you are correct, the feeling of being in the plane can't be described.

In BOS I do have more difficulty telling what a plane is than others.  Not sure yet if they can see them before I do or not.

We will have to go up sometime and have a 1v1 VR dogfight.  :-)

Flying the helicopters in DCS is a BLAST!!

Gos - I will post more about glasses tomorrow.  I wore mine at first, ended up with some scratches on my glasses AND the VR lenses.  I did buy a set of prescription inserts for the OR and they work well.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 11:09:11 am »
Thanks, guys. This is good information for those of us who might be thinking of obtaining the VR equipment in the future.

"Death from above"

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »
I got in on the Pimax kickstarter https://www.pimaxvr.com/en Supposed to get it in January ...higher res and field of view ...can't wait to give it a go ....thanks Tai!

also check this out to see if your PC can handle it

https://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-tell-pc-virtual-reality-vr-oculus-rift-htc-vive-steam-vr-compatibility-tool/
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:25 pm »
I'm also wondering about the glasses part myself.

I am extremely farsighted making for coke bottle glasses. Good for hunting with a rifle but nothing else in the real world.
Seeing a screen up close is probably impossible for me without serious correction lensing.

I think I heard that nearsighted glasses work far better with helmets. and visual goggles.

Anyone know anything ?

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:31:15 pm »
OK, a little more about the glasses and the Oculus Rift.

The literature states that you can use glasses and cautions to not let them touch the lens as it may cause damage.  My experience is that it WILL cause damage. I have since seen other post on Redit and such that others have experienced the same thing.

When I first got my Oculus Rift, I wore my glasses for about 25-30 hours worth of play time.  At that point Jane noticed that my glasses were scratched.  When she told be that, I looked at my Oculus Rift lenses and they too were scratched.  Now that are still usable and I don't notice unless there is a very bright light from a certain angle.  I contacted Oculus Rift (as well as some research on the web) about how they could be repaired or replaced.  Bottom line is there isn't any way to repair them and then can't be replaced.  I can't believe that they didn't design in a method of replacing the lenses given how delicate they are.

I did read where other had place plastic lens protectors over the lenses.  These are similar to what you put over your phone screen.  Oculus Rift did not recommend doing that.

My eyesight is such that I need bifocals, but neither is too terribly bad.  My prescription in fairly mild.  So after I noted the scratched lenses, I played without my glasses for the next 5 - 6 weeks.  It worked OK but things were fuzzy.

I also read where the general focal length is something like 1.5 or 3 feet. I don't remember exactly, but it is on that order.  Something like getting glasses make for your computer screen.

There are some solutions out there.  There are a couple of companies that make prescription glasses inserts for the Oculus Rift.   I did get a pair from VR-Lens.eu (https://vr-lens.eu/).  I received them just before Thanksgiving and have to say they make a world of difference.  Things are much better than without them.  They snap into the Oculus Rift fitting over the existing lenses.  I don't notice them a lot.  Sometimes I feel them on my eyebrow, but that tends to be when I put them on.  I think that they were well worth the money.  Now don't get me wrong, they will not make the resolution better in the oculus Rift, it will just sharpen them as much as possible.

There are other companies that do the same thing.  Here is one review that compares two different companies. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5q4x97/comparison_between_vr_lens_eu_and_vr_lens_lab/ 

If you are interested PLEASE do some additional research.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:38:32 am »
Clutter, Thank you!
Excellent information to help others be well prepared for the unexpected while making this high-end purchase.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:03:55 pm »
You could also go with a prescription pair of contacts if you eyes are suitable.
I tried DCS this afternoon in a chopper over Lost Wages as Clutter suggested!
Thank you for that suggestion.
Incredibly, I actually flew it better than in 2D (which is not that good by the way) and it was a real pleasure.
More to the point I did not smear myself all over Nevada when landing over half a dozen times as I found the depth perception a lot easier.
Low flying over the roofs, trees and following lorries was very relaxing! (I think I'm sick) :o
If I get time this week, I am going to try a few of the other modules I have if real life does not interfere!
All hail VR flying!

Cheers

Tai

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:06:19 pm »
Yea, contacts were an option.  Just didn't think I wanted to do that as I haven't ever had them.  Only got glasses when I was 35.

I have flown the helios the most, but have also done the F-5E and A-10C.

o/
Clutter

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:58 am »
You could also go with a prescription pair of contacts if you eyes are suitable.
I tried DCS this afternoon in a chopper over Lost Wages as Clutter suggested!
Thank you for that suggestion.
Incredibly, I actually flew it better than in 2D (which is not that good by the way) and it was a real pleasure.
More to the point I did not smear myself all over Nevada when landing over half a dozen times as I found the depth perception a lot easier.
Low flying over the roofs, trees and following lorries was very relaxing! (I think I'm sick) :o
If I get time this week, I am going to try a few of the other modules I have if real life does not interfere!
All hail VR flying!

Cheers

Tai

Stop!!! Your making the wait unbearable!
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:32 am »
ROTFLMAO.
Sorry for the upset Sully!
If its any consolation, there is a down side to VR flying if it makes you feel any better.
I have found that you have to stop VR flying at some point during the day, return to the daily grind and do shite other bastages want you to do! :(
Hope that alleviates the wait somewhat and provides some penance on my part.
 :o

Cheers

Tai

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:30 am »
ROTFLMAO.
Sorry for the upset Sully!
If its any consolation, there is a down side to VR flying if it makes you feel any better.
I have found that you have to stop VR flying at some point during the day, return to the daily grind and do shite other bastages want you to do! :(
Hope that alleviates the wait somewhat and provides some penance on my part.
 :o

Cheers

Tai

LMAO!

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 06:41:24 pm »
Glad to see people trying this - I've heard BOS is done really well.

My only concern is, as you say, the effort to be looking back all the time, etc...

But man, it sounds awesome - I hope to try it someday!