Author Topic: More observations on visability  (Read 502 times)

Offline AKA_Knutsac

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
More observations on visability
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:17:58 am »
Canopy

“…we tore through some patchy cloud at 15,000 feet using both hands on the stick.  This cloud proved a bloody nuisance, as our ice-cold windscreens misted up with frozen water vapour on the inside…”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 31)

“In order to see my target I had to continually rub my windscreens with my gauntlet as the forward view was completely obscured by water which had frozen.  I rubbed clear a small patch sufficient to see through, but I had to keep rubbing as the frost formed up as quickly as I removed it.”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 32)

“Patrol at 30,000 was the common order.  It is very cold up there and the windscreen and hood freeze up at the slightest suspicion of moisture.”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 214)

“I didn’t see him at all.  My mirror and hood were frozen.”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 215)

“One of the new pilots complained about misting on his windscreen as he followed a 109 down, only to be told…that he could expect that to happen on almost every occasion when fighting at altitude in a Spitfire.”  (“Nine Lives” by Alan Deere; 1959;Pg 148)

“…I admired the effect of a Hun bullet that had struck the bullet-proof section of a Hurricane’s windscreen…the windscreen was just a big star, far from transparent, but the bullet had only penetrated about a quarter of an inch before flattening out…”  (“Fighter Pilot” by Paul Richey; 1941; Pg 78)

“After a squirt or two, one of his engines blew up, sending oil and glycol all over my windscreen…”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 140-141)

“Suddenly the E/A starboard engine caught fire:  all the oil was thrown back by the slip-stream on my windscreen, and as I was blinded for a few seconds…[a]s the hood was covered with oil I decided to open it...”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 184)

â€œâ€¦I realized that it would be rather a hazard landing, as my windscreen was covered with this oil, rendering my forward vision very bad.”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942; Pg 51)

Spotting Targets

“…there was a yell of “Talley ho” on the R/T.  I scanned the whole horizon in one quick flash – still I couldn’t see them, but whilst I was wondering where they could be, the squadron wheeled left and then settled down on steady course…I searched every square inch of the sky and I’m damned if I could see a thing.  On we went, streaking down at full throttle, and suddenly, just as I thought the leader was crazy, there they were!”  (“Ten Fighter Boys”; 1942;Pg 160)

“…I knew that the battle must be on.  I watched all around and above me, but couldn’t see any airplanes and couldn’t tell where this was occurring, though I knew it must be close by.”  (“Tally-Ho! Yankee in a Spitfire” by Arthur Donahue; 1941; Pg 65)

â€œWe were still several miles behind him and at least 5,000 feet lower but I could now pick out the aircraft at the head of its white tail of smoke.  I could see that it was a twin-engined kite but we weren’t near enough yet to recognize the type.”  (“Spitfire: The experiences of a Battle of Britain fighter pilot” by Brian Lane; 1942;Pg 92)

“Suddenly down behind us something moving caught my eye.  Looking round I saw an aircraft diving inland ten thousand feet below us.  It looked like a 109 but I couldn’t be sure at that distance.”  (“Spitfire: The experiences of a Battle of Britain fighter pilot” by Brian Lane; 1942;Pg 99)

“Farther southeast, not far off the French coast yet, the bombers were coming.  I mistook them at first for an enormous black cloud.”  (“Tally-Ho! Yankee in a Spitfire” by Arthur Donahue; 1941; Pg 70)

“The sky seemed to be empty, the Huns, the Hurricanes and even the rest of my section had disappeared.”  (“Spitfire: The experiences of a Battle of Britain fighter pilot” by Brian Lane; 1942; Pg 74)

“Suddenly, the sky was clear and I was alone; one moment the air was a seething cauldron of Hun fighters, and the next it was empty.  There were to be many occasions in later battles when a similar occurrence took place…”  (“Nine Lives” by Alan Deere; 1959; Pg 107)

“I looked around and found no more planes of either nationality in view.  I appeared to be in sole possession of this part of the battlefield.”  (“Tally-Ho! Yankee in a Spitfire” by Arthur Donahue; 1941; Pg 58)

“My orders were to patrol over Hull, at a safe height above the anti-aircraft fire, and to go after any bomber I could pick out against the fires below.  From 20,000ft…I gazed down on an inferno that was Hull…t was impossible to pick up the enemy bombers, at least I found it so, and one felt helpless darting this way and that way after imaginary silhouettes which appeared to flit across the flaming background of fire.  Although there were countless enemy aircraft reported over Hull that night, I failed to see a single one.”  (“Nine Lives” by Alan Deere; 1959; Pg188)