Author Topic: DCS Map 'Wargame' Design and Progress  (Read 2292 times)

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
DCS Map 'Wargame' Design and Progress
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »
Everyone,

I am starting a new thread here to start fleshing the design for my map design idea 'Wargame'.  This gameplay I am aiming for for this map is PVP with PVE assistance orchestrated in a MACRO kind of way.  You have seen very limited examples of this in the current Blue Flag campaign, with the AI bombers.  I plan on taking this to a much more detailed level.

Mission Statement:

The ability to setup a meaningful and action packed game experience that can be completed in one extended sitting of game-time.  Times from 2 to 4 hours for the smaller skirmishes vs 4 to 10 hours with the more extended weekend warrior types.  The ability to adjust endgame rules to either speed-up or extend game completion time.  Every game is not expected to play out the same and different tactics can be leveraged for different effect.  The ability where the player in a coalition can make high level RTS style decisions to create new objectives, consequences, and modes of play but does not detract from the primary focus of the game; to fly aircraft sorties.  The ability of the player to be able to play in concert with the AI against other Players to provide a more grand game experience and is more real.

These are my initial goals for this map/game design.  Things may change.  I will most certainly need AKA's help on this when it comes to ensuring weapon systems and such are properly balanced and of course testing.  I have an idea on how to implement this design that should be scale-able to a full map.  However, initial versions will only incorporate a few airbases to ensure core components are working as expected.

Design Bulletpoints

• Airbase Capture
    Real aircraft and munition restrictions
    Score-Keeping (EndGame)
    Resource Management in the form or Money, aircraft, munitions, fuel, and action points.
    Simplified Logistics; Planes, missiles, bombs are not built on the fly they are provided or bought.  Fuel may the only strategic resource that can be 'Mined'.
    Player controlled tactics and decision making using F10 menu to perform actions.  (Any action will cost at least one action point + other resources such as money)

Here is a list of some MACRO action features I am planning on implementing.  Please feel free to add on.

Logistics -- Purchase planes, troops, fuel, munitions.  Purchased planes will have to be flown in to airbase by AI.  Troops and fuel may be sent in via trucks, c130 transports
Assault forces -- Send in ground forces for capture, Helo attacks or raids...
Defense -- Garrison an airbase/farp, (Types of troops composition defined broadly), Air Defense, Anti-Vechical, Anti-Personnel, Artillery, or balanced.
Air Power -- Fighter CAP, Fighter CAS, SEAD, and more I hope.

Then there will be additional SPECIALS i am sure..   Broken arrow for example, where airborn assets come to the rescue for example.
Action sorties will always start on the ground :)

Programming tasks to implement for bare bones development.
1.  Scores -- Done
2.  Capture Mechanic with slot blocks and more -- Done
3.  Basic resource system, Money and action points -- Done
4.  Streamlined AI by menu system, a modified AutoMon Lau code.  -- Done

Suggestions and ideas welcomed.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:50:14 pm by AKA_Jstek »

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: DCS Map 'Wargame' Design and Progress
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:26:34 pm »
Sounds good Jstek!

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:03:56 pm »
Looks good Jstek - look forward to testing it :).

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:35:07 am »
Update:  Logistics, due to limitations to DCS scripting, Munition limiting wont work.  However, I can limit high value munitions, such as SEAD, AGMs, and others to Neutral Bases to give them a value in taking.  Perhaps 2.5 will fix these things.

Update:  May be able to do something about this, I read more into the DCS warehousing mechanics.  May get something to work.
For plane inventories, I would prefer to use the Warehousing, to keep it simple, but may have to track use via variables and with the slot locking, I have it dialed in modular so I will easily be able to lock aircraft for a coalition when they run out..

Using the event system, I can track all craft landing and taking off to count towards these values..  Will be easy enough to address.
Munitions, on the other hand will be a bit more tricky to deal with.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:02:27 am by AKA_Jstek »

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 11:58:32 pm »
Capture Mechanic with slot blocks -- Done
Going to start on the AI spawn and cost mechanics using a AUTOMAN script approach so when completed, All I have to do is place the units with names and cost factors.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:47 am »
You’re making good progress there Jstek!  Let us know when you have something to test.  It would behoove you to have something small to start that tests out one or two features.  That way as shortcomings in the SSE in MP (I.e. that aren’t working for clients connecting to the host) appear, you can isolate and create work arounds in your code.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:19:17 am »
Update:  Logistics, due to limitations to DCS scripting, Munition limiting wont work.  However, I can limit high value munitions, such as SEAD, AGMs, and others to Neutral Bases to give them a value in taking.  Perhaps 2.5 will fix these things.

Update:  May be able to do something about this, I read more into the DCS warehousing mechanics.  May get something to work.
For plane inventories, I would prefer to use the Warehousing, to keep it simple, but may have to track use via variables and with the slot locking, I have it dialed in modular so I will easily be able to lock aircraft for a coalition when they run out..

Using the event system, I can track all craft landing and taking off to count towards these values..  Will be easy enough to address.
Munitions, on the other hand will be a bit more tricky to deal with.

Hi,

Please explain 'lock aircraft for coalition'... as often, the planes or helos and such can be used on both sides... or have a built in 'switch' to open it up for changes...

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:29:16 pm »
Player Slot locking.  So when an airbase is captured or is neutral, you cannot occupy the slot; aka red players not being able to take off at a recently capture blue player base.
I added additional functions where I can lock out certain aircraft types if I choose to on the whim too.  May come in handy with objectives designed to disrupt operations.  Ideas encouraged! :)

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 05:49:11 am »
Update:

Been working on the AutoMon code and I was forced to track down some template cloning issues down.  Turned out the issue was MIST, there was an oversight in their code which I fixed in this particular manner.  You can't clone callsigns otherwise, you may have ATC communication issues; hence the jets never take off.

After that was fixed, I got a working code base working, Now just getting the final menu updates to sync with how much cash and action points you go.  Thus, it wont show up on the menu if you cant afford it, then after that it will then need to filter out based on airbases and ect.

Good progress, I hope to nail the rest down so i can just focus on building everything in the Mission editor!

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »
there, I think, are some DCS pilots who either make or use ATC scripting.... I have seen threads about lots of ATC stuff...

btw, I saw you on DCS in TS, but you don't answer.... anyways... keep up the excellent work... will be nice to test it!  ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 06:22:11 pm »
Update:

I completed the very initial code of the AutoMon code.  Its very nice and now I can focus on building the map in the mission editor.
Hope to have a version we all can test with on Thursday!

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »
Thanks for the update Jstek - sounds good :).

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 08:20:32 pm »
I need yall help.

I need to get ground unit compositions during the late 80s..  If anyone get on on teamspeak tonight to help that would be greeat!@

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:04 am »
Jstek,

Were you able to get it running last night?  Sorry I had to take off, I had a few things to do before I went to bed.  I am looking forward to to trying the mission!

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »
me too, had to get up early and a long drive to appointment.. hope you could test, always test another night

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case