Author Topic: Heat- FM's in Game  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Heat- FM's in Game
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:58 pm »
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7372&p=79171#post79171

Here's a little tip about performance which some people may not realize, and which illustrates the complexity of the game.

People who always seem to be behind in what they can get out of their aircraft, please take note.

Most players will not notice this, I have observed it because of the hundreds of hours of overheat testing I have done.

The game calculates loss of power due to the onset of pre-ignition and detonation as the engine temperature approaches the overheat point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

So if you are running your engine at temperatures close to the overheat point, even though your engine is not actually failing, you will actually be generating less horsepower than if the engine was at an optimum, cooler temperature.

So for example the overheat point for 109's is 100 degrees. If you are running your engine at 98-99 degrees, your engines power output will be down by (my estimate) around 5%. If you don't think that is significant, you are forgetting we are talking about an engine with a peak power rating as high as 1270 PS.

The interesting thing is that sometimes when you are running temps just short of overheating, as you lose horsepower, the temp will start to drop again, because as the engine runs less efficiently, it generates less horsepower and therefore less heat.

What does this all mean?

Obviously, keep your engine cool for when you need it. Then you'll get optimum performance.

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
Re: Heat- FM's in Game
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:22:42 am »
Interesting!
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »
Nice! Another bonus for the guys who use energy tactics and give their planes a break. Since you can't push the limit at high altitudes I wonder if it really applies much up there in the cold. Most of my flying is medium - low so I haven't played much to see if I can just firewall it all day long at 25k+ or not

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:20:16 pm »
Update: Did a couple high altitude fights the other morning, heating seems slowed down as it should be up there but not enough to let you go full throttle all day long. I think the lower speeds that high may be a part of that, not sure. 

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:26:48 am »
 8)Lower Indicated airspeeds at altitude are do to lower air density, half of all the earths air is below 18,000'! If the air is thinner, the Airspeed instrument must register a slower speed for indicated airspeed. When this lower indicated airspeed is corrected to True Airspeed, it is likely that the true airspeed obtained at the higher altitudes (lower air densities) will be greater than true airspeeds at low altitude where the indicated airspeed is higher.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:01 pm »
Once you get up there, rpm's come down, you can close the rads.

Rads in this game really make a difference, of course, you have to be careful as once it overheats your in big trouble.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:38 pm »
Blazin most of us fly in the evening ie. 9pm EST - meet on AKA comms

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:21:19 pm »
Blazin most of us fly in the evening ie. 9pm EST - meet on AKA comms

Sorry can't do evenings. Right now taking a break from work. I'll be hittin the road in another 20 min. then family stuff. I'm usually in bed same time or before the rest of the house! LOL

I get up about 5:45 so I can have some quiet time no one making noise and get in the cockpit for an hour or so before I head back in and do it all over again. Some day I'll make the bucks so I can live closer to work, but it hasn't happened yet.