Author Topic: Upgradoing Windows 10 to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Version 1709)  (Read 446 times)

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Well as part of the new computer build, I decided to upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10.  I got a full Win 10 Pro version in the process.  I installed the OS about 4 days ago, then yesterday, MS decided that I needed to update to the latest version.  Simple correct?  Remember this is Uncle Bill, so NOTHING is simple.  After about four tries, and getting error messages stating that the upgrade failed (Error code 0xc00005 - please contact MS support) I looked on the internet.  The first things I ran across indicated that I needed to check with the OEM of my compuiter to make sure it was compatible.  THis indicates that there can be hardware incompatibilites.  Since I built this myslef, I kenw that the "OEM" wouldn't have a clue.  Some of the research inidcated I might need to download an iso version to a thumb drive and do a clean install.  UGH  that would mean reinstalling what little software I have already reinstalled.

Doing more reserach todiay I ran acorss the atricle linked below. 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-computer-windows-10-creators-update-version-1703/

This ended up saving my bacon.  I followed most of the steps from 5 through 12.  I also went into my BIOS and disabled all my other sdd/hdd (one of which still has WIN 7 on it).  Next I ran the commands listed in Step 12 and tried to install it.  the install failed.

On the next try, I exited all other software running in the tray and when the download hit 100%, I disconnected from the network (via airplane mode).  It WORKED!!
I am now running Windows 10 Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125!

I now hope to be back up by the weekend.

S!
Clutter

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Upgradoing Windows 10 to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Version 1709)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:21:03 pm »
Congrats on getting it to work Clutter - and thanks for that link.  I'm looking into building a new PC myself at some point, so who knows if I might run into the same issue.  Currently just starting to look at the various components (e.g. https://pcpartpicker.com).

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:33:13 am »
I had problems on the computer I use with my TV, failed to load windows after the reboot.  I used to USB thumb drive to reinstall Windows and selected the keep files and apps option. That worked and I didn't loose anything.  I have removed 3rd party anti virus and just use the one that is built into Win 10, it seems to work just fine.

All my other computers upgraded without any problems (3 of them).

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:13 pm »
you can use Windows defender  together with some anti-virus programs, and no problems/. But you cannot remove defender without getting an error because it looks for the defender on upgrades.. the error will not stop win10 from running though. I have win10 on 2 computers. 1 with winxp, and 1 on linux.

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case