Author Topic: DCS World 2.5 Changelog and Updates  (Read 2329 times)

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
Re: DCS World 2.5 Changelog and Updates
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 11:43:54 am »
OK, so what are the pros and cons of using a page file/virtual memory.

I have alway used one   and dont think i have taken a hit.

The abive does make me glad that I got 32 GM of RAM.

http://bfy.tw/GNG8 .............. ;)

Long and short of it  if you have it enabled, "it automatically places some memory usage onto the HDD. HDD access READ / WRITE is much slower than accessing the RAM.
Then, as you're installing and removing files, it fragments them as the Paging File changes size -unless you have set the max and min to the same value." I'm not sure that with todays cpu speeds and SSD if it would be that much of a problem.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:51:38 am by AKA_Sully »
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080 WINDFORCE 3X OC l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:28:06 pm »
If you turn your paging file off everything is run thru the RAM and the computer does not use your HDD/SDD at all for quick access RAM, that said you need enough RAM to make that happen.  You will see some "lag" from page file use especially from a HDD. Even an SSD will have a little lag associated with it since it is not directly on the BUS but has the data going thru the SATA controller, but in many cases you probably would not notice it.  Since you have 32 GB of Ram I would say there is little to no use of your Page file since you have more than enough to load everything into RAM.

Another reason why folks turned off the page file was that back when SSD's first came out folkes did not want the page file to write to the SDD contantly and wear it out.  This really is not a concern any more.

I have always had mine turned off on my gaming rig, and it runs stuff really well, up to 2.5.  I am 99% sure they have a bug in their system that is loading a lot more into RAM than is necessary.

On a side Note, my VRAM has been maxed out as well, all 4 GB of it..

MattE
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:51:16 pm by AKA_MattE »

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
VRAM?

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 05:54:10 pm »
Video Ram, the Memory that my video card has.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »
Duhhhhh.   I have a EVGA 1080 GTX SC with 8 GB.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:27:17 pm by AKA_Clutter »

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 07:21:44 pm »
Clutter I would love to know how much VRAM is being used when you play, like I said all 4 GB is used on my Card.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 08:23:08 pm »
Let me know what utlity you use to capture tgat onformation and I will be happy to.  That is once I am back up and running.

Lately I have been doing DCS mostly in VR.  Not sure if that wpuld matter.

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 05:31:18 pm »
Clutter I would love to know how much VRAM is being used when you play, like I said all 4 GB is used on my Card.

MattE
I have an 1080 as well
I flew all over the new map through towns and the mountains and using MSI afterburner and it looks like on usage I'm maxing a little over 5 gigs on vram  and a little over 9 gigs on system ram ....I'm going to run it some more to make sure its accurate

On the pagefile issue  I've noticed when I turn it off, I sometimes get more stuttering in games. (16GB ram here) I've read turning off swap forces Windows to be super inefficient with RAM. Might try putting pagefile back on and see how it runs. I moved mine to the Sata HDD and made it 8Gigs .....so far so good we'll see.

With 32 gigs it probably wont matter but I would at least set a page file min setting on the ssd .... JMHO

Some more discussion here https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/more-about-paging-file-and-why-you-should-not-disable-it.413714/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:38:01 pm by AKA_Sully »
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080 WINDFORCE 3X OC l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 10:54:04 pm »
Sorry guys, I'm officially done with DCS for the immediate future.  Since 1.58x is no longer going to be supported, and there's still a lot of WIP with many of the aircraft, I'm not sure I want to continue flying that version.

2.5 is an abomination, IMO - it's totally unplayable for me, forget multiplayer, I can't even get it to run offline, unless I have a minimal type mission.  Whatever they've done, they've totally screwed the pooch on 2.5 - memory leaks to start.  Until they've acknowledged that there are problems (and then address them, of course), I will no longer even attempt to fire up DCS.  I'm beyond pissed... I know my machine needs an upgrade (I'm planning on building another gaming PC, but I'm not close to starting work on that yet), but it was definitely playable in 1.5.8.x, and other sims work great.   Just DCS is hosed.

I'll be focusing on BoX for the indefinite future, as well as supporting IL2/46 campaigns, etc., maybe I'll have time for CloD now that DCS is dead to me. 

S! Rel

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:30 am »
Well that sucks Rel .....I changed my 1.5 stable to beta so no going back for me ..lets hope for quick patches....

I found this on the forum this morning and I can second it and none of it was even in multiplayer

Quote from: Rainbowgeorge;3378486
Alright, i have tried out something and now i can join.
I have increased my pagefile on my secondary drive to 32 (!!!!!!!) Gigabytes.
When i load into MP it uses all of my real RAM (16GB) PLUS another 16 GB of that simulated RAM
I can play now but this ammount of memory usage is way too much.....

I noticed my pagefile went up to 11GB during play......I moved it to my a second hdd and set it to 8GBlate last night but didn't get to run DCS on that setting.... I'm going back to set it to managed by windows and see if moving all that writing to a different drive than the game helps smooth it out   ....

Definetly an issue
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:22:29 am by AKA_Sully »

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 07:05:21 am »
Rel,  Very very sorry to hear that.  Hopefully the y haven't poisoned you ti the extent that you won't be back ince it is fixed.

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:31 am »
I agree there is a serious memory issue.  I turned on my Page file and made it 8GB and it is working, but even offline I get an occasional large stutter (FPS down to single digits) and the reserve memory is around 7 GB leaving 0 Free memory.  I know some of the MP server admins have had issues as well and ED has said they are aware of the issue, That said this is not a new issue, I think it has been there for a couple of patches it just seems to have gotten worse.  It seems like if you have 32 GB of RAM, a fast internet connection and a 1080 card or over 5 GB of VRAM you dont notice anything, however those are twice the recommended specs...

Rel, How much RAM do you have, Is you hard drive an SSD, and how much VRAM do you have?

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:36 am »
I have 16GB of RAM, a GTX970 with 4GB of VRAM, i5 2500k @3.2GHz and my OB is on a HDD, but release is on an SSD.

I just need a break from the waiting.  I have patience, but I’m tired of wasting my time looking at the letters DCS or loading a mission  and twiddling my thumbs.  Time for a break until they patch it up.

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:58:59 am »
I hear you Rel, I was just curious about your specs, trying to gauge how big of an issue they have.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Jstek

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 12:44:43 pm »
I haven't had an issue yet with 2.5 in single player, i have been activly loading my mission several times and load times are fine.

I do have a 1080 video card, computer ram at 12 gb, and 2 ssd drives, I have the page file going to one of the SSD drives.
You always need a windows page file, its there for when you run out of memory and it will page to disk. Better that than have hard memory faults.
Using SSD for that makes it much faster.

I will say I have not tried any multiplayer servers yet.  Been doubling down on my mission creation.  Btw, post feedback since yah are stuck in limbo! :)