Author Topic: A faster warm-up procedure for your Merlin - Blitz  (Read 448 times)

Offline AKA_Skewer

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
A faster warm-up procedure for your Merlin - Blitz
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:00:43 am »
I fiddled around,  as one does, wanting to get my Hurri / Spit into the air faster and had success with this:
1 Chocks in
2 Radiator open  (100% recommended. However, I use 50-55% which is my general action setting and get away with that)
3 Mags and fuel on (Mags will come on automatically anyway - just switch fuel and go ...)
4 Ignition
   Now the speeding up bit:
5  Immediately push the throttle to 20% for about 20 seconds (You can use the + and - keys to achieve this, with the throttle slider closed)
6  Push it up to 25% for another 20 secs - tease it higher during this period, keeping the highest setting which does not over-choke the beast.
7  Ram the throttle to 100% (if the Srnt'Maj is not about).  The engine may be rough but if it does not splutter to a stop, it will build to full power - chocks out, right rudder, menace the vicious skies.

PS - you did put in full up elevator trim and apply some up elevator before going 100% with chocks in , didn't you? :)
PS 2 - If you you are a well-behaved pilot, ram the throttle only to 80% to get over the rough patch in the mid revs area knowing that 100% in powerful fighters will put you on the nose and in a pile of potatoes. (<S> Wayno for this wisdom, borne of experience in obscenely powerful propeller-less flying arrows.  )
PS 3  The same general procedure can speed warm-up times for the Beau, Blennie etc. FW's have fuel injection, and just need warm oil and seem to get off quite quickly.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: A faster warm-up procedure for your Merlin - Blitz
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:09:35 am »
Outstanding notes and I'll concur that this procedure makes a world of difference in getting the plane up much more quickly than simply waiting around for the thing to warm up.
Thank you for taking the time to develop this procedure and posting this information.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: A faster warm-up procedure for your Merlin - Blitz
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »
funny...i never noticed this in my 109 ;D ;D