Author Topic: Tips needed for flying German fighters  (Read 889 times)

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Tips needed for flying German fighters
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:49:35 pm »
Please post some tips on dogfighting the Hurricanes and Spits in the 109E3 and E4 variants.
Will the German planes out climb or turn either of the British fighters? When should one switch from auto prop pitch to manual and how long can one use maximum pitch before catastrophic engine damage ensues? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Tips needed for flying German fighters
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:42:49 pm »
E4's easier.  After take off I like to set the prop pitch to manual, then adjust such that the engine's at around 2200 RPM with moderate throttle - then set the prop pitch to automatic and leave it.  That helps to get a little more RPMs out of the engine, otherwise, if you just leave it on auto prop pitch from the beginning, the governor seems to under-rev the engine a bit.  By setting it to manual, then setting it to auto after throttling up to a higher-cruise-speed setting (e.g. 2200 RPM), you seem to get a little better speed and acceleration.

The E3 is a little more difficult as there is only manual prop pitch.  I recommend you assign the prop pitch increase/decrease to something on your throttle (or somewhere handy) so you can make quick and repeated adjustments.  You should not exceed 2500 RPM for any/much time at all or you'll blow your engine.  You should try to keep the RPM between 2000-2400 for the most part, except for emergencies on the deck when trying to put distance between you and an attacker.  Also, be careful in a dive, as the RPMs go up quick, so you'll need to not only chop throttle, but decrease your prop pitch quickly or you'll risk over-revving your engine and blowing it.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:52:08 pm »
When dogfighting Spits and Hurricanes remember you cant out turn either.  The 109's advantage is in the vertical so you want to retain energy and B n Z, the 109 will out climb both the Spit and Hurri.   Using a double attack or loose duce are your best wingman tactics as a Spit/hurri driver will usually try and roll back into the attacker after it has gone defensive from a B n Z pass giving the second attacker a clean shot sometimes.  Watch out for Hurris if you B n Z, their thick wing allows them to maintain a high AOA and can they can get good shots on climbing 109's

Keep in mind there is an FM issue at the moment (which should be corrected with 4.5) where the Spits especially the IIA are much better at high alt (over 7K) than the 109, where as in RL the 109E had a higher service ceiling than the 1A and probably a little higher than the IIA as well.   High altitude dogfights are dangerous because of this.  The 109 is best at medium altitude (3 to 6K) while the rated attitude of the Spitfires and Hurris are around 6K (they perform best around 5K to 7K).

A couple of more pointers:  The 109 E4/B is the fastest of the 109's down low (below 4K) and when really low can climb like a scolded cat. The 109 E4/N is the best 109 up high and the best all around 109, choose one of these variants (when available) depending on how high or low your mission is going to take you.   

Defensively the 109 will out dive the Spit and Hurri, both in acceleration and in top dive speed (watch the compression), get the 109 over 700 KPH in a dive and the Spit/Hurris will have to break off.  you can also Blunt to start the maneuver which if either the Spit or Hurri follows their engine will cut out because of negative G.

My favorite tactic with the 109 is to fly just below contrail altitude and look for someone to bounce,  If a Spit or Hurri is above you then the contrails will give them away.  The altitude will give you "defensive" room to dive away from an attacker from above and the lack of contrail will make you harder to see by potential victims that are below you.

MattE
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:03:35 pm by AKA_MattE »

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:30:30 pm »
Wow, GREAT information, guys. Thank you. If any other info comes to mind, please post it.
Thanks again.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »
GOS - The KA_50 and A-10C are beautifully modeled.   ;D

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:53 am »
Clutter, of course you are correct, sir.
I will make it my duty to resolve to spend more quality time in DCS this new year.
In thinking back to so many years of flying and campaign missions, I really do miss flying with you.
Wishing you also had the desire to fly some WWII stuff, but believing that is not to be.

There's never been a bridge busting lone-wolf hunter quite as ballsy as you, Clutter!!

S!

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Dash

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 11:12:43 am »
I've used the same move across every WW2 flight simulator I've ever played. Most of the time as long as I play my cards right with my energy and altitude it works. Again, this is assuming I did everything right, which is not so often hehe ;)

Anyway, my technique is the good old fashioned spiral climb. Learning it in BLITZ is a little harder than other sims because of the early DB engine. Keep in mind your not running a DB-605N so you can't just power climb like you can with the later model 109's.

Once you master using just the right about of bank, incline, and rudder you can almost always out spiral climb them then drop on them when the timing works. I will glady make a video demonstrating this as I need to dust of the cobwebs from my Vegas Pro and video editing skills ;P
"The difference between being a hero, and being stupid... is timing". -Unknown Vietnam Veteran

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
Good stuff Dash, I use the spiral climb as well as long as I am sure I started at least in an equal energy state.  As I mentioned above watch out for the Hurri when doing a spiral climb, if they come in with a little more energy they can get their noses up with their high AOA and spray al lot of rounds at you.  I have given and gotten my fair share of radiator perforations with that move.

Do you have anything from the BOX series yet?  Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow or Kuban?

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Dash

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 11:30:39 am »
Do you have anything from the BOX series yet?  Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow or Kuban?

I do have BoS, and Kuban and a few of the "collectors aircraft". I just don't like flying BoS for personal reasons that I won't pollute the forums with. I can't read the future so I can't say that I won't ever fly it again, but at this moment in time, I refuse to perpetuate the series.
"The difference between being a hero, and being stupid... is timing". -Unknown Vietnam Veteran