Author Topic: Okinawa 45 campaign - postponement  (Read 758 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Okinawa 45 campaign - postponement
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:44:24 pm »
Sorry all, have to postpone the campaign start for a week (hopefully no more).  I sent an email to Scorp requesting assistance in interpreting the exception thrown by the campaign server controller program.  Seems to be related to the carriers based on the exception message, but I didn't change anything relating to ships since we ran the test campaign missions last Sunday without incident.

I'll let you know what I find during the week.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: Okinawa 45 campaign - postponement
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 06:14:58 pm »
Just a thought, Rel, but do you think we might be better off if we use one of the old campaign maps, like the Solomons or somewhere where there are more land bases? Just a thought.

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:44:20 pm »
Just a thought, Rel, but do you think we might be better off if we use one of the old campaign maps, like the Solomons or somewhere where there are more land bases? Just a thought.

Possible, but lets see what Scorp and I can come up with respect to why the campaign server manager was throwing an exception, then go from there.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:20:31 pm »
OK, Scorp is back (welcome back!) and he looked at the campaign files and they looked good.  However, the sea routes seem a bit large, which may have caused the exception, so I took a look.  Also, I noticed when I finished the campaign file updates a couple weeks ago that the sea routes looked strange on the web site, like solid lines, where I had never seen that before.

Bottom line, I worked on two of the routes, manually reducing them to just the points I had created in the mission using mission editor (for some reason the sim was adding a bunch of points in between each point I put in!).  The result was what you see now on the web site map - the two northern sea routes look more normal now.  This in turn caused the mission file size to be reduced, and the campaign manager program started without an exception :).

I will work on the rest of the sea routes tomorrow night, to see if I can get the whole set of routes to look normal, then upload to the server.  I'll run some more tests to see if the campaign manager runs OK - if so, we should (fingers crossed :) ) be good to retry the start of the campaign this Sunday.

Thanks again to Scorp for giving me the hint.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:09:05 am »
Thanks Rel and Scorp for your you work in keeping the 1946 campaigns alive. Really appreciated on my end, it has to to be tedious work. S~

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:06 am »
You guys are the best!
Thanks for all the efforts.

Cheers
Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:53:21 am »
Excellent!! Way to keep with it. Your dogged attitude sure makes this all possible.
THANK YOU!!!

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 05:44:42 pm »
No worries guys - I'm just glad I think we figured out the problem.  I just edited the sea routes file (fingers are numb lol :) ), and regenerated the mission and it went from 1.4MB to 330KB, so that made a huge difference on the file size.

I'm running the campaign missions on the server now (I backed up the movements from Sunday), 30 minutes each, just so I can test the campaign manager and mission generator.  If you happened to be online, feel free to jump in to 21001, but as said, I'm just doing quick missions to see if things work OK with the campaign manager a few missions in a row.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »
I ran about 5 missions in a row, and the campaign manager worked fine.  The base capturing seems to be working OK, so I think we should be good for this Sunday.  I'll reset the campaign and put things back the way they were just prior to Sunday's mission.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:14 pm »
So, are we officially a go for the restart of the campaign this Sunday?
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 01:41:36 pm »
So, are we officially a go for the restart of the campaign this Sunday?

Yes

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:25 pm »
Thanks Rel, I will let my side know in ab email. Also we should remind everyone that we revert to Daylight Savings Time on Sunday so mission time will be affected. Everyone should be aware.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 07:25:08 pm »
Sorry for the shortened campaign mission, it was an out of memory exception.  I've asked Gos to ensure that the server rebooted prior to each campaign mission, hopefully that will help.  Plus as ground units get destroyed (which I'm sure they will! :) ), it should help.

Hope you all had fun, I did :D.

S! Rel