Author Topic: Friday/Saturday 1946 nights again  (Read 2017 times)

Offline AKA_Jericho

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Friday/Saturday 1946 nights again
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:58:39 am »
 @ Tai and Gos  I am requesting the wish to revisit the idea of bringing back Friday night or Saturday night  1946 , had several request for this on our team !

S! J
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:03:10 pm by AKA_Jericho »

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: Friday/Saturday 1946 nights again
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:39:40 am »
I received your email and it is being taken under consideration. Let me try to dabble my opinion to address the concerns.
I'll be watching the TeamSpeak channels to see how the attendance in BOS is going.
I don't consider this backpedaling, but more so as a wish to consider the desire of several pilots to move into the BOS sphere, while
understanding it's been at the expense of those who have lost their Friday campaign missions, and have no desire to
spend the money and time commitment to learn the newer sim.
Unfortunately, it is quite an expense to get all the BOS versions and special aircraft in order to be able to stay together during missions.
IL-2 1946 still is a fun sim and extremely functional and playable.
However, this does not need to be a thorny or divisive issue. Friday's campaign missions may be reinstituted if the numbers consistently show it is still
more popular than BOS, but we need to take our time with looking at it.
The AKA_Wardogs squadron is comprised of pilots who have diverse preferences and we wish to remain so.
Those of you who want to make BOS the more popular sim should insure that you do what you can to promote
participation in whatever manner you can think of, whether it's providing training or making sure that when people come in to fly,
they are able to do so with accompaniment.
We had an incredible turnout on Sunday and the 1946 campaign mission was a lot of fun, in my opinion.
Hopefully, Taipan and I will be able to pick up enough information on how to set up the campaigns that Relent can
move totally on to fly with other squad-mates in BOS, which has been his stated preference.
Thankfully, Rel and Scorp have availed themselves to the needs of those who want to continue flying the campaign in 1946.
Several pilots are also very keen on COD, which was the sim that initially drew some away from the 1946 campaign. Only a
small handful of those continue to fly COD due to the preferential eye-candy of BOS.
These are subjective simulators and all three of the games have nice features and advantages over the others.
I hope this addresses the concerns expressed above.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:54:57 pm »
Place holder for my 2cents

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:54:31 pm »
Hmm, well for one I’d like to know what the pulse of the squad is on the subject.  We had a vote during the recent team meeting and Friday, it was decided by majority vote, should be used for BoX/CloD, to give squad members an opportunity to get more acclimated to more mainstream/current WW2 simulators.

What has changed?  We had a decent turnout on one of the Fridays soon after that meeting, but since then I haven’t seen much attendance on BoX.  To your point on cost, Gos, I think quite a few squad members have already purchased at least one of the BoX titles, so I don’t think that’s a big issue. Depending on the servers, you may see aircraft restrictions based on year, so it may be a little challenging to get a server where everyone can fly together, based on which version of BoS/M/K they have.

Except for recently as I’m busier in the evenings, I’ve been fairly regular going online and seeing who’s ready to fly BoX.  There haven’t been many - it could just be a cyclical thing, with spring just starting and more folks are busier on Friday nights.  Of those that voted yes to Friday for BoX/CloD, what do you say?  I’d still like to see us give it an honest chance, as speaking for myself, if we have a group of guys we could have a lot of fun learning together on our AKA server or fun servers like Coconuts Normal or Expert server’s, as they aren’t very full most of the time.  Also, I’m finally watching some tutorials on the BoX mission editor so I hope to make new or update copies of existing missions where I can put all aircraft in, for practice/training.

If we do go back to Friday IL2/46 campaign missions, just an FYI that I will still fly only on Sunday.

S! Rel

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:57:13 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_DerHuntere

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:47:14 pm »
S!

My thoughts are that many miss the 2 nights a week  flying 1946, this old sim has legs and many have developed a good comradery.  I believe that is important.

I voted for Friday night for BoX, and I stand by that.  But I believe we can do Saturday and Sunday nights for 1946, for those who can make both nights.

I will be making every effort to fly BoX Friday nights.

My 2 cents.
Keep On Flying!!

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:14:35 am »
I would love to go back to twice a week campaign but doubt that will happen. And I don't see BOS gaining the numbers popularity like 1946 night does. BOS is fine and all with it's eye candy but damn if I have more fun with the old gal that is 1946.

Offline AKA_Agilehunter

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:41:13 am »
I just love the flying with squad members, whether 1946, BOX, or CloD.  Just bought Kuban, and it's really cool, but not so much fun if not with my Mates!

I voted for the way things are now, but am amenable to adding another night for 1946, if enough folks have reconsidered and want to change again.

Perhaps we need a poll or something to get the sense of the squad?

Just sayin...

Agile

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 01:40:22 pm »
The meeting and decisions were only a few weeks ago... give it time..

and over the coming months there will probably be sales for newer flight sims and aircraft.
Hardware is a different matter. (prices have caused people problems lately, as they became unstable lately.)

There are so many pilots and servers going, everyone should be able to find something to fly any given night...
and those that need rest (me) enjoy the rest.

Just give it time....
IMHO
 ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:34 am »
Last Sunday there were 17 people flying in the 1946 campaign.
On Friday, there were maybe three or 4 eventually flying BOS.
Hopefully this trend will continue for 1946 campaign, and that the
BOS participation will increase, but if the BOS numbers continue
unchanged, I find it hard to support continued knocking out the Friday
campaign mission and depriving so many of an opportunity to fly
with their mates. It does not leave a good taste in my mouth to see
as many as 17 people deprived of a campaign mission in order to
appease a total of 4 people to fly on BOS on Fridays.

Again, let me stress that it is important for all those who voted to
nix Friday's campaign flights in favor of BOS to put your bodies
where your votes were. I like BOS too, but there are several pilots who
no longer have the campaign to fly on Fridays and do not wish to
make the financial outlay for a new game that will take some time
to gain any level of proficiency with.   

Increasing participation in any sim that encourages and results in more
participation by the squad is not a step backwards, in my opinion.

I suggest we give it a few more weeks to see if things improve in BOS and
if not, I suggest we hold another meeting to re-address the issue of Friday
campaign flights. I understand, unfortunately, that there are several pilots
who will refuse, unfortunately, to fly the campaign if it returns to Fridays.

Feel free to respond with your comments or thoughts. If I am the only one
who sees it this way, I'll gladly shut the he-- up and just fly.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:16:29 am »
Whatever the majority wants is fine with me.  Maybe those who voted to stop the Friday night IL2/46 campaign  missions in favor of leaving it open for BoX/CloD can speak up, if they so desire, about their plans for Friday night flights. I’ll go first :)

I voted to drop the Friday night IL2/46 missions. Unless something comes up to pull me away, I plan to continue to fly BoX on Friday nights, even if IL2/46 campaign missions are reinstated.  My preference will be TAW (if running), Coconuts Expert/Normal (if running), WoL, Berloga DF, AKA server, or even offline (e.g. career mode) if no one is around online.  I just like BoX that much, and there’s always room to improve.  That is an important statement - it’s not as easy as IL2/46, but the feeling of flight, engine management, damage model, and visuals are just so much better than IL2/46 that I’d just rather spend more time there :).  I only fly IL2/46 on Sundays for the camaraderie (when we’re not getting blown up by Big10 or Mo, lol), but it almost pains me to fly it, as I’m reminded of the obsolescence of the sim each time I start BoX.  I can currently only dream of the turnout were still getting with IL2/46 campaign missions (when flying BoX), and hope that it will change.

Quick question to all of those that have BoX (at least one title), but aren’t online much - do you at least/even fly using the Quick Mission builder, just to try it out and get a feel for the aircraft?  Even with the complex engine management, the aircraft aren’t that complicated to fly, once you set the prop pitch/RPM, water/oil radiators or in/out-let cowlings... just adjust the throttle as needed.

I’d love to hear more from those who continue to be hesitant about BoX (who aready own it), what’s holding you back?  We are here to help you get up to speed - talk to us! :)

S! Rel
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:22:30 am by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:12 am »
I think until there is an AKA alternative to the IL2-1946 campaign people will continue to fly it.  As we don't seem to have anything like that on the horizon I would say open up Friday if that is what people want.

My grandson is over for March break so I won't be online much for the next few weeks but then I will be back to BoX.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:09 am »
First, I would like to apologise to all who are on the receiving end of my gun fire. If I am making the game un-fun for individuals please let me know, I will go fight ai.

Now to BOX
I was not happy and still not happy to see us loose the Friday night fight. I have flown both Sims and I just like the good ole classic. Hop in my plane, fire it up and go kill.

It has been what, almost 2 months now since the vote and I have not seen near the turnout for BOX as we do our campaing. There's just something about 1946 that we all love, why do you think that's some of the largest turn outs per week. Like I have said before, unless we can come up with something similar to 1946 numbers will always be low and it's just a niche for a few of us.

From some of the discussion I have heard on TS, most don't want to go into servers and be bait for guys who have been flying the Sim for awhile now. I can fly both sims well and can tell you that BOX is a harder game to master. And that is my opinion.

Will BOX ever have the capability like 1946 for a dynamic campaing that we do now?

As far as TAW goes, that setup really pisses me off. I know you guys love it. Rel, you know my dislike for it. Lol you've heard me bitch about it. Will the squad always fly allied in the server? From my few times, allied side always seemed out numbered.

I really don't get the hate for 1946, that sim has brought a lot of us together. Sure it's out dated as far as graphics go but it sure is fun to fly.

If I had to choose one sim at this current time would be 1946, it just offers more as far as maps and aircraft selection goes.

That's it for now and sorry for any grammer or spelling errors, doing this from phone.

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:18 pm »
And also to add had they done a Pacific version like we all thought, you would probably have a lot more participation than you do now. I am not a big fan of the Russian birds.

Now we have to wait and see how long bodenplatte takes.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 12:52:08 pm »
This is great, guys!n Keep it up.
Duck, Wayno, Jug, Dash, Wiley, Rage, Grey, TG,,,,et.al.
Let's get your input too, please.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 01:21:10 pm »
First, I would like to apologise to all who are on the receiving end of my gun fire. If I am making the game un-fun for individuals please let me know, I will go fight ai.
No worries Big10 - by flying as well and coordinated as you and Mo do, it's forcing us to get more disciplined about flying as a team to cover each other.  It's not as easy to do with most of the Japanese planes, since the F4U can out run most/if not all of them, but we need to try!

...unless we can come up with something similar to 1946 numbers will always be low and it's just a niche for a few of us.
I hear you, Scorp is saying pretty much the same thing, which I do agree with to a point - it's just that we need to find some sort of consistent substitute where we can all have fun together as a group.  One extra comment though - with BoX, and the coop-type dogfight server missions Scorp put on the AKA server (which I've modified most to include all BoX aircraft), we can have some fun together (just AKA!) to fly these, being that there is decent AI to fly against.  If nothing else to try flying together more, on the same TS channel, etc.

From some of the discussion I have heard on TS, most don't want to go into servers and be bait for guys who have been flying the Sim for awhile now. I can fly both sims well and can tell you that BOX is a harder game to master. And that is my opinion.
I completely agree, see previous comment above - we don't have to fly TAW, WoL, etc., there are options.

Will BOX ever have the capability like 1946 for a dynamic campaing that we do now?
It has the capability now, it's just that it requires our brains to have the capability to create/edit missions, or figure out how to generate them ala Scorp's '46 generator and campaign manager.. takes time, smarts (friggin complicated) and persistence!

As far as TAW goes, that setup really pisses me off. I know you guys love it. Rel, you know my dislike for it. Lol you've heard me bitch about it. Will the squad always fly allied in the server? From my few times, allied side always seemed out numbered.
I hear you, we flew German a couple rounds ago, of course then the German side seemed out numbered when we flew (why is that? LOL).  But it is the most challenging - if others are trying to fly BoX more, and don't want to fly TAW, I have no problem trying other servers that are easier.  But first, guys need to show up, if they don't, then I'll go back to the TAW's/Coconut's/WoL's/etc...

I really don't get the hate for 1946, that sim has brought a lot of us together. Sure it's out dated as far as graphics go but it sure is fun to fly.
Not really a hate, I still fly it (and it is fun with theaters that aren't included in Box, like the Pacific right now), just that all things being equal, I get more enjoyment out of BoX (esp if there are decent numbers of AKA to fly with)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:22:56 pm by AKA_Relent »