Author Topic: Friday/Saturday 1946 nights again  (Read 2420 times)

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Friday/Saturday 1946 nights again
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »
 On the subject of staying even longer in 46 Gos you really don't want my honest input.......................

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 05:23:17 pm »
I think Big 10 hit on most of the problems with BoS currently. Yeah the eye candy is great, the a/c performance is different from 1946 but it's workable. The biggest issue I have with the new BoX series is in the multiplayer and lack of an AKA type of campaign. As Big 10 mentioned, going onto some of these servers and getting my arse whacked by some 15-16 y/o eastern european with no life other than BoX is not my idea of a fun time. BTW, I'm sure that kid is laughing his ass off along with his rocks on shooting down a smug old guy like myself.

The campaign aspect and lack of it in the BoX series is problematic. Also a distinct lack of American aircraft and European maps are an issue. Until the game designers get a handle on some of these issues for our style of campaign 1946 works and works well. From what I have seen the developers are working on it, they added a new multiplayer coop feature which I am still trying to figure out. But I did order the new Bodenplatte version! They seem to be thinking ahead of adding more western aircraft. I also hate the russian birds.

You asked for my input Gos and while I think BoX is the way of the future, until they get their act together your still going to have some guys that want to stay with the old dependable 1946 for our campaigns. Not sure why some guys just decided to put it down just for the sake of going to the latest and greatest. Sort of like throwing the baby out with the bath water IMHO.

S! Grey
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 05:25:03 pm »
Wiley, that is where you are mistaken.
I'm seeking input, although I know you don't even have 1946 loaded. Your input is just as important as anyone else's. Please give us your thoughts, so others can also benefit from it.
Thanks.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 06:03:27 pm »
I have to say I like 1946 even though its outdated and arcade like by todays standards.
But one thing always impresses me about 1946 and thats its stability. No issues , hours of game play and nary a glitch.

I sure wish BOS was evolving faster than it currently is. I think the reason we all aren't getting into it more is that for a lot of us older timers the game play in some of the servers basically sucks most of the time. We really don't have the tools to make and host our own missions and campaigns yet.
I hope that changes soon with bodenplate.

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 06:11:08 pm »
I want to add my thoughts on this matter but I just dont know where to start.. I feel we are being pulled apart somewhat..Thats not good..

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:41 pm »
I feel we are being pulled apart somewhat..Thats not good..

I understand the feeling, Mo, but that's all right. Keep in mind that the Wardogs have varied interests and there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's really cool that we have people representing the squadron in the various sims, BOS, 1946, COD and DCS. The fact that we have a diverse group has attracted some very special pilots to the squadron over the years. The current issue is primarily to determine if we re-establish the Friday night 1946 campaign flights until such time as bugs are worked out of the other sim(s) or until others get more flight time into the newer sims. There is no reason the squad has to be torn apart because of people having to choose between 1946 and/or BOS, although there are some very strong opinions being voiced.
The fact that many of us have been flying together for up to 20+ years says a lot about who we are as a squadron.
I keep thinking of Blasto, who has been solely representing the squadron on the ATAG server with COD for years and is held in very high esteem by those flying with him from other squads. Wiley and Rel and a couple others have been well representing the squad on BOS servers, while Top, Clutter, Rel, Ram and others have been representing the squad on the DCS servers. AKA_Clutter even won a worldwide competition for creating an online campaign for DCS when it first came out with Black Shark. Remember?
I don't think you will find this diversity in many other squadrons out there and we just want to make sure we did not stop the Friday missions prematurely. I've received feedback that some felt as if they were left out in the woods when half of their missions were cancelled.
Please feel free to post your thoughts, Mo. They are important, although they may take a while to type and read. LOL

Gos
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:53:18 pm by AKA_Goshawk »

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Rage

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
I like BOX but with the issues I have had and know some others have, I think we should we need to go back to flying 1946 again with Friday's and Sundays until Box gets going and more of bugs are worked out. Rage.

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:28:33 pm »
On thing I would say is that someone who flies the 1946 campaigns should takeover designing and organising them.

Rel has a load of campaigns on the server so if designing is too much work they could just be rotated using the existing ones.  My work finished with this quite a few years ago and Rel took up the reins and has done an incredible job.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Skewer

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 07:59:13 pm »
<S> all
Thanks for the sitrep Gos.
The Sunday (my Monday 12.00 in NZ)  is more achievable for me than the Friday (My Saturday 13.00 with its family events) which I can arrive at late if at all. As a timezone outrider I appreciate that my situation is a minority one and happily accept the consequences of that.
I enjoy the 1946 campaign greatly and will be there anytime I can. Will continue support that strongly.
Cliffs of Dover feels such a great sim I am hugely attached to that and its great to see other AK's giving it a whorl.
I have BOS and BOM now and I'm starting to put time into gaining proficiency in that, so might manage to participate there soon if it goes that way.
Regards
Skewer

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:37 am »
On thing I would say is that someone who flies the 1946 campaigns should takeover designing and organising them.
Rel has a load of campaigns on the server so if designing is too much work they could just be rotated using the existing ones.  My work finished with this quite a few years ago and Rel took up the reins and has done an incredible job.
Nice idea, Scorp. I'm definitely for that. If you or Rel can let me know what is needed to restart any of the existing campaigns, I'd be happy to get those going as needed. You two have been the backbone for our campaigns and it goes without saying that the campaigns would never have been created without all of your efforts. I believe Taipan has been trying to learn what is needed to recycle the old campaigns. There should be a few of us able to handle that duty for you and Rel as you dedicate your time to the newer sims. I'll be happy to take this on along with Taipan.
Anyone else want to learn this in order to be available in a pinch?
Thanks, guys!

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 01:52:41 pm »
 >:(I try not to discourage anyone because of my peculiar standpoints. But:
1. I have been to Box on several (3)Friday nights, and no one was there from AKA ,1700 to 1800 Pacific.
2.I don't like to fly foreign airplanes in any sim, but I can adapt in 1946 because we have been doing 46 for so long.
3. I can't read or understand the "dials" in the foreign Airplanes.
4.I find the graphics and the function of the aircraft just as good in 1946 as I do in Box. No simulator will ever fly as well, or, feel the same as a real airplane. Ask any pilot.
5.I enjoy 1946 because I have been flying with all of you guys for what, 15 years? There is camaraderie and a history in 1946!
6.I find the limits incorporated into Box False. Real airplanes don't burn up after take off power for 2 minutes, instead real warplanes fly on max power for at least 15 minutes. Also, no real airplane goes into a series of ground loops right out of the Chocks before the RPM reaches 800 RPM or after for that matter.. These are errors incorporated into the game by software guys who talk to pilots who never flew the airplanes, or read books that are inaccurate.
7. I can adapt to whatever the Squadron decides, I have all ways done so in the past. I am getting older, to the point of quitting the wars. Perhaps that makes me less adaptable now.
8.Seventeen pilots on Sunday nights can't be all wrong!~
9. I appreciate the efforts of all the Key drivers of the AKA. You all can take credit for our great history together!

Wayno sends...

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 02:21:00 pm »
Thank you, Wayno. As one of two actual military pilots in our squadron who have actually flown several of the planes modeled in these sims, your insights are extremely valuable!
Thanks to you and Duck for your service! We are really fortunate to have you in our squadron.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 02:33:10 pm »
 S! Alright my opinion,first COD, I flew COD for 5 years, I and a few other aka flew many Campaigns in the SOW server for years and for the last Campaign I was an Axis admin, so I have more info on COD than you may know, that few of us then flying COD tried to get more AKA to fly COD but that too didn't happen,similar to whats going on now with BOX,the problem with cod is the atag server is all there is left, a little of that server goes a long way,the numbers don't lie, COD particapation numbers for all pilots are way down from a couple years ago, there was harsh words between No54sq Phil, Reddog, Dietrich and the ATAG bunch,it was Phil,reddog and dietrich who provided and created the SOW Campaign, whom I got to know very well,very nice guys, with no SOW campaign there is no reason to continue with COD as all atag is,for most  fly to the nearest enemy base on the deck furball rinse repeat....there are very few squadrons left that still fly COD lots of newbies  but most of the squads have moved on,as for BOX ,TAW server is the closest thing to a real Campaign going right now,i left COD because of the reasons stated not because of eye candy or anything else,i  flew IL2 46 for what 12-14 years?,EAW before that and Air Warrior in the mid nineties ,I think that when Forgotton Skies fell apart and then our own AKA Campaign ran out of opposition,which left AKA flying against AKA that should have been a sign its time to move on,i fly "with" my squad mates not against them,and  AKA has been for years  flying against itself just to keep going in 46,with only a few moving on to newer sims sorry but that's not my thing,when flying  BOX TAW specifically you are flying with and against some of the best sim pilots/squads from around the world. I am one the the AKA that have been flying with a few of you for 20+ years online,progress moves forward,sometimes painfully,kicking and screaming all the way,but it still continues to move forward  that's just the way it is.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:42:21 pm by AKA_Wiley »

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 03:48:02 pm »
Then where are all the people that voted to fly BOX friday nights at?????? Cause I haven't seen enough to justify the switch.. And why all the Fn hate for 1946..because it old? Because we are now flying against other aka?? Hell thats damn good practice. There some fine sticks in AKA...I dont know. I got tired of COD because it became the same old same old..I know people will say that is the case for 46. but its really not. I flew alittle bit of that TAW. I did not like it at all.. Back to Friday nights. Are we only going to fly BOX when a certain camp is up and running? I think the vote for the switch was premature..maybe not.

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 03:59:14 pm »
 :)Hey Wiley, I have had some great times flying with you, and I always wondered why you are always the first to bale, when a new sim appears. Thank you for letting me know.
We just don't provide enough competition for you. I can understand that. Rel and some others are also in that category and I never thought of that. And you are right, for some people they may just want to move on to more competition. Some of the rest of us just don't feel that way. Getting too old probably. I wish you luck.

Wayno sends...