Author Topic: Recreation of AKA DCS Multipurpose Training mission.  (Read 1998 times)

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Recreation of AKA DCS Multipurpose Training mission.
« on: March 19, 2018, 06:14:24 am »
In order to avoid possible issues of old code conflicting with the new version I am rebuilding the Caucus DCS Multipurpose training mission from scratch in DCS 2.5   The miz is saved to the Dropbox called: AKA 2-5 Multipurpose Training Caucus ver 1  Right now I am just getting all the units put in place, then the target groups, then the waypoints.  Once I get to that point we will have to review it to see what coding logic to put in it.  Rel, Clutter, Ram, Jstek, will want your input on that.  I certainly want to put the radio spawning of targets back in.  I would like to do some infantry helo extraction missions (but whether we do them like I had before, or with more updated logic is up for debate).

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Recreation of AKA DCS Multipurpose Training mission.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:51:03 am »
Sounds good Top, probably a good way to go about it, with all the changes to 2.5 from 1.5.8.  Once the unit group names have been identified that you want to be spawned via the menus, the same lua scripts can be tweaked and used.  I can assist when needed.

As for the helo stuff, I’m open to whatever - the lua I had written didn’t rely on Mist or CTLD (on purpose, I was trying to learn lua and DCS SSE API), so no worries if you all want something different.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:17 am »
Ok, so here is how the helo missions were laid out in the original mission.

There were two mission zones. One to the NW that I called the uncontested infantry pickup. And one to the East I called the contested infantry pickup.

At the uncontested there is a group of infantry near a road intersection just outside of a small town with 1 or 2 burned out HMMVV nearby.

At the contested zone there is a group of infantry near another road intersection by a large town next two a few burned out HMMVVs and there is around 20 or so enemy infantry in a nearby tree line and by the buildings. The friendly infantry are set to immortal so they don’t get wiped out prior to the mission end (one change I will likely make is just make them late start and they only spawn in when an aircraft flies in the trigger zone). 

There were 4 Mi-8s.

#1, 2, and 3 were armed. There was a separate script for each of the pilots that were flying those helos for each of those missions (contested and uncontested) so each aircraft ended up having 6 separate scripts governing them. If you flew inside a certain distance of a target point, that was inside a trigger zone which then gave a radio message to that chopper, and the units to be picked up popped off a colored smoke to help the pilot identify them. You then had to land within a certain distance of the road intersection and then the infantry would despawn with message that they have been loaded and another message instructing to take them to the FARP to the NW of Krymsk airfield. Once the pilot landed at the FARP another trigger would go off that the infantry were successfully delivered and they would respawn at the FARP and run to the North end of the area.

There are 4 UH-1H and units 1, 2, and 3 were set up in the same way (so a total of 18 scripts in all for those two missions).

For Mi-8 and UH-1H #4 those two helos were unarmed. You could use radio triggers to activate a sling cargo at Krymsk airfield. You then had to successfully pick up the cargo and then fly to a designated drop-off point to the North. Once within a certain distance of the drop-off you would be inside a trigger zone and would get instructions on where to drop the load (near another road intersection) and if you dropped it off undamaged within a certain distance of it you would get a mission successful mission. There was 1 script for each helo so that’s another 2 scripts in all.

So, all in all, there were 20 scripts for the Mi-8 and UH-1H helos.

I still would like to retain this functionality (picking up troops both in and out of combat), and dropping off sling load cargos. But I’m sure there are better ways to script this. I was doing this all by the built in triggers and functions, no LUA or CTLD scripting.

I probably will also include another infantry pickup mission where the unit is broadcasting a radio signal which the UH-1 and Mi-8 can home in on with their radio equipment. That one can be just a simple script so no LUA needed for it.

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:52:14 am »
Hey Top - I forgot about the trigger-based helo troop loading/unloading you had set up.  I was referring more to what I had done with lua scripts to land in the loading area (circle) and requesting the loading of troops or a vehicle.  In any case, I'm open to whatever everyone wants to have.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:46 am »
Yeah by all means I'd like to recreate that as well.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 05:58:34 am »
Modern ATG airfield units created.
Helicopter airfield units created.
Modern blue ATA airfield units and OPFOR units created.
Modern red ATA airfield units and OPFOR units created.
Korea-Vietnam era blue airfield units and OPFOR units created.
Korea-Vietnam era red airfield units and OPFOR units created.
Airfield air defenses and tanker trucks added.
Armed all OPFOR aircraft.
Set all client aircraft radio's.

Next will create two small airfields for WWII and a FARP for the helo area, then add some sea assets for the Harrier.

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:25:43 am »
In addition to whats was set up for the helos, I would like to see someting specific for hot LZ practice.  May two or three woth different terrains and fairly heavy small arms fire and maybe one wih  Zu23 or two.  I willing to duscuss more and maybe map out what I am tbinking about.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:47:18 am »
The contested infantry LZ is like that but to a smaller extent (in that it is only infantry small arms fire you'd be getting).

But yeah, shouldn't be hard to do a more lethal hot LZ.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »
Most target groups made for the helo area have been added.  Though I still have to add in waypoints. 

Starting to put in the infantry groups for the pick up missions but have not added any scripts or logic yet. 

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:43:04 pm »
Let me know if you need a tester.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:07:09 am »
The helo part of the range is nearing completion (with the exception of the scripted pieces) so yes will need testers.  And took Jsteks advice and put in units that may spawn in after the mission begins so that they are preloaded to help prevent lag spikes but have yet to test it to see if that works.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:13:51 pm by AKA_Topgun »

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 10:16:24 am »
Send it to me or post on Dropbox and I will test tonight if I can.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 01:13:33 pm »
I have been saving directly to the Dropbox  (and then placing a copy of it on my pc for backup purposes).  I should be on tonight and We'd night if you have time on either of those days.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 09:30:23 am »
The training mission is not ready for full use, though it could stand to have some testing done in the helo area.  Or can do Blue Flag tonight.  Up to you all.

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:15:40 am »
I will not be on until after 8:00pm MST

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft