Author Topic: P-39L - fun but huge blind spots!  (Read 287 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
P-39L - fun but huge blind spots!
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:17:30 am »
Is it just me or does the P-39L have somewhat out of proportion blind spots to the upper rear and upper left/right rear areas?  I took a look at ‘46 to compare, and while that sim is admittedly old, the blind spots didn’t seem as bad.  With BoX, that overhead framing that wraps around the top of the fuselage seems overly wide and thick, making visibility very limiting except straight back.

Assuming that’s the way it’s going to stay, it’s pretty much imperative that you fly with a wingman to cover your blind spots.  It makes the view out of the Lagg-3 or La5 seem nice (with the canopy open).

Other than that she’s a joy to fly, decent speed and turning ability, and with lots of MG ammo, and when that 37mm potatoe hits, wings usually fall off or fuselages cut in two :).

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: P-39L - fun but huge blind spots!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:55:12 am »
All I have done in it is bail out. LMAO, it's a hoot watching my guy open the door and out he goes.

I do agree with how thick the back railing is.

I need to fly it more, it is a nice looking aircraft that's for sure.

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: P-39L - fun but huge blind spots!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:21 am »
I bet that in VR the framing on all the AC does not look as thick.  My guess is that BoX has measured how thick everything is and built the views from the perspective of a cyclops sitting in the pilot seat.  Most of us have two eyes that give us the ability to see around objects compared to looking with one eye, we are not getting that advantage when using a monitor.

It shouldn't be too difficult to place a camera at approximately the position of a pilots head in a cockpit and figure out how much of the field of view the framing takes up and there must be examples of just about every AC in BoX sitting around somewhere in Russia.
AKA_Scorp