Author Topic: Need externals for ground  (Read 956 times)

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Need externals for ground
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:15 am »
Need externals for ground back. i don't care if someone think there is cheating. After all it is suppose to be fun. I loaded bombs several times yesterday and a few times I went to release them and nothing was there. I can't accidently drop them because I have a red safety cap on my hotas pickle button. 

Anyone else?

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Need externals for ground
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:10:29 pm »
I agree with turning them back on but for another reason. Need them on to check for proper rudder, elevator, aileron operations prior to actual takeoff.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »
I think you guys are talking about two different things.

Grey you are likely referring to externals when on the ground only, which is how we had done it before.  Ram, I think you are talking about externals all the time, which we’ve never done before.

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:46:21 pm »
Rel,

You are correct on my thoughts of turning it back on for while we are on the ground. I also think that is what Ram is also asking for also.

Grey
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:27 am »
It does not matter to me whether we have the externals on while on ground or not.
The external views are still available if you happen to crash somewhere, so that sort of defeats
the purpose anyway, doesn't it?
Whatever you guys in the commanders' chairs decide is fine with me.
One thing you might consider, if you're worried about pre-launch recon, is to reduce the amount of time the server runs before it is OK to launch. That would definitely reduce the amount of time for external reconnoitering.
Drop it to like 5 minutes, and that will maybe give enough time to taxi to the runway, for land-based aircraft anyway.
This won't apply for the wild guys like Jericho or Taipan, naturally, since they just start up the motors and take off straight-away regardless of how many groundcrewmen they chop to bits with their props.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:18:17 am »
Rel,

You are correct on my thoughts of turning it back on for while we are on the ground. I also think that is what Ram is also asking for also.

Grey

Maybe you’re right Grey, Ram I miss-interpreted, you were probably talking about seeing if you had bombs before you took off...

Same here, whatever the commanders decide is fine.  Gos, I like the idea of reducing the wait time if the commanders are ok with it as well (e.g. 5 min).

Just let me know so I can change the external flag the way it was.

S! Rel
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:23:06 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:59:27 pm »
Don't care either...may help with ground collision too

Offline AKA_Dash

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:47:33 pm »
Whatever Command decides is fine with me. I choose not to use externals for immersion purposes but thats just me. I haven't been in the squad very long but I don't think any members would purposely cheat with it even if they could. Seems like a great bunch of guys here who are no stranger to the honor system.
"The difference between being a hero, and being stupid... is timing". -Unknown Vietnam Veteran

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:11:20 am »
 :P Let's simplify ground taxi at different bases by putting on the "Ground" externals(plus all the previous suggestions for preflight checks)! Have we made a decision yet? Why not?
I hate taxiing into a ground fixture (like an anti aircraft gun) with enemy planes coming in low at the edge of the field.

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:04 pm »
Thank you for considering this! I appreciate it!

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Jericho

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:25:58 pm »
LOL  if you cant look out our cock pit window or shift to gunner position in the 15 min before flight time to see if the control surfaces are working ..there is some thing seriously wrong....

If you cant taxi following the taxiways and avoid obstacles your not using the correct taxing techniques for that air craft or studied the airfield set out,

If you think you forgot load to bombs ,, respawn to loading the screen and reset not hard at all.

The blatant use of external for scanning for targets or seeing who what has spawned in at the nearest air field goes against the whole point planning missions when in few seconds the enemy will you your plan and can adapt when they can see aircraft types and how many.

Untill air feilds and targets are mapped out of visual eye in the sky scanning iam against externals. sorry being cannon fodder for this system for all these years is not fun .

S! J

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:54:58 pm »
LOL  if you cant look out our cock pit window or shift to gunner position in the 15 min before flight time to see if the control surfaces are working ..there is some thing seriously wrong....

If you cant taxi following the taxiways and avoid obstacles your not using the correct taxing techniques for that air craft or studied the airfield set out,

If you think you forgot load to bombs ,, respawn to loading the screen and reset not hard at all.

The blatant use of external for scanning for targets or seeing who what has spawned in at the nearest air field goes against the whole point planning missions when in few seconds the enemy will you your plan and can adapt when they can see aircraft types and how many.

Untill air feilds and targets are mapped out of visual eye in the sky scanning iam against externals. sorry being cannon fodder for this system for all these years is not fun .

S! J

please give me and others some credit.. after 20 years... I seriously load bombs and try to set the delay.. and then drop and nothing there.... at least one of the 100 issues we have would be fixed.....  that is all no more no less... I too get lucky if I don't run into stuff on the ground... I am not special, but this is more like a job than a hobby... I would rather it be a hobby.....

if i could not walk around my car before I drove, I would never drive... 

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 04:47:43 pm »
Jerico I really don't think they r talking about full blown external views...only while on the ground..they way we have done it before.

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 05:37:56 am »
For me, I like it without externals.
S turning when taxing was, and should be a standard to use when taxing tail draggers.
(We all read the Ops manual right?)🤔
When checking my control surfaces, I look over my wings and move the aircraft slightly forward to check rudder control.
Alternately, one could ask ones wingman to look at the surfaces not visible to the pilot because we all fly with a wingman don’t we?😮
Regardless, each of us has their personal preference and I am ok with the majority’s choice because it’s just nice flying such a great campaign with such fine gents. (Gos excluded because he’s never been a gentleman😜)

Cheers

Tai

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:40:35 am by AKA_Taipan »

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 09:24:56 am »
I read that, Taipan. You're now officially on my list!

Watch it, you slithering belly-slider!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:26:42 am by AKA_Goshawk »

"Death from above"