Author Topic: Observations Dynamic Campaign Server  (Read 231 times)

Online AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Observations Dynamic Campaign Server
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:04:53 pm »
I spoke with Relent the other evening and mentioned that I thought we needed to start a thread to place some of the observations our guys have discovered regarding gameplay on our dynamic campaign servers that may be helpful to everyone that enjoys playing on them.

Here is the first from my perspective.

Capturing an Airfield: Tonight I flew on the AKA Dynamic NORMAL campaign. It's running the Kuban map and at the start of the mission, the airfield at Kerch was in Russian hands, and had 0 supply. However it had full AAA protection and there was a tank battle going on in the 609.4 grid just SE of the airfield. Wolf, Rage and myself eliminated the AAA at the airfield, and over most of the mission we destroyed most of the nearby enemy tanks. We also eliminated the AAA at the nearby dugout locations just NE of the airfield. Once all the AAA was eliminated Wolf and I flew in 2 - JU-52's with a dozen paratroopers each. 24 Total and dropped them directly onto the airfield. Then we RTB'ed back to our starting airfield. Jim also drove one of the tanks from the nearby Kerch Tank battle to the airfield and parked it there. When the mission recycled, Kerch was back in German hands. Not sure if there was anything put out by the IL2 developers regarding base capturing, but this worked for us this mission.

Anyone have any other observations regard in the dynamic campaign game play, please post in this thread.

S! Grey
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Online AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Observations Dynamic Campaign Server
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:33 am »
More Observations;

Enemy Shipping: Small Patrol boats, Rocket boats can be taken out with guns, on most fighters. Those equipped with cannons work best. The larger ships, cargo vessels, barges, destroyers require bombs. You can take out a gun platform on a larger vessel with cannons, but you need bombs to sink the ship. Also bomb sizes need to be considered. A 50kg bomb will not work on a larger boat so those carrying 4 -50kg bomb loads will require you to pickle twice.

Also, if you look at your mission map. It will display a enemy ships in Red with a large red arrow depicting it's direction of travel. This does not indicate it's exact location, just that it will be there in that area traveling that direction. As long as the ship is displayed it is a viable target. Most of the ships I have run across have come in groups of 4. Two small patrol or rocket boats, plus either two destroyers or cargo/transport ships. If the ship displayed on your mission map disappears, it means that it was either destroyed, or IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE ....... it made it into the port.

If the ships makes it into port, you WILL NOT see a ship there if you overfly the port docks. Don't know why not but all you will see the docks itself. If you look closely, all the docks are now going to be piled up with Cargo. THESE are viable targets. On the normal map with icons enabled you will not see an icon on these targets. But they will count on your scores. Take note all you point whores (Goshawk, Taipan).  The cargo is much like the fuel and ammo storage at an enemy base, it doesn't show up with an icon but it is there and it does count scorewise.

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"