Author Topic: AKA_TG now has DCS aircraft, and will install soon (I hope)  (Read 1647 times)

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
AKA_TG now has DCS aircraft, and will install soon (I hope)
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:40:42 am »
I am happy and excited we have another member with DCS... TG, still hasn't installed it yet.. I told him about how good it is,, if you see him around see if he needs help on the install... I am not sure if he understands.. DCS is the 'Core' and must be installed and aircraft added in that.. in any case I hope TG finds the time soon... TG, you will have a blast with us! IMHO   ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: AKA_TG now has DCS aircraft, and will install soon (I hope)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:31:57 am »
Ram, which module(s) is he interested in?

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:00:52 am »
I think Gos sent him A-10C....

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:58:05 am »
Hey Guys,

Not sure if you remember me, I was quite active in AKA until a few years ago. Work got in the way and with the work load and responsibilities I had I was forced to step away for a bit, that and the fact my computer at the time was old and I had problems with lag and other issues.

Well I'm retired now and my wife said I needed to get back into flying because I've been absolutely miserable since I retired. So ..... I now have a new gaming computer and I'm looking to get back into the cockpit. I'm usually a WWII prop guy that loved IL2. Goshawk is helping me get set back up, and AKA_Wiley my ole wingman has told me about IL2 Cliffs of Dover, so that a sim that on my hit list. I saw this thread about AKA_TG and DCS aircraft and since AKA_TG is also another of my flying mates I was interested in what was being discussed.

I am also interested in DCS, especially the A-10C Warthog and have been considering adding it to my hit list. I have some questions and hopefully you guys can answer them.

First, about DCS World. I understand that this is a free program to download that is projected to act as a sort of Core or DCS System OS for all future DCS aircraft programs, and once installed and as you purchase any individual games such as DCS A-10C Warthog, or DCS P-51D. DCS World would act as the interface for those programs once you put in some sort of purchase code. Am I on the right track?

Second, as I said I have been thinking about adding DCS A-10C to my hit list. Does the stand alone game come with DCS World built in? Or do I need to download and install DCS World BEFORE I install A-10C?

Third, its been awhile since I have been shopping for PC game software. I went into one of my old haunts and was surprised to find out that the PC Gaming section has been dramatically downsized to make room for games designed for X-Box and PS whatever the latest versions is. I have noticed that I can purchase PC games from Amazon.com and have them shipped directly to me, but they also offer a PC Download version at a substansially reduced price. I'm a guy that in the past has always felt more secure with an actual cd-rom or game disk in hand. Any thoughts if the PC download would be the better way to go?

Thanks
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 10:00:04 am »
dcs is having a big winter sale for the next day or two  fyi !

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:20 am »
I see PC games going almost exclusively download.  Many games require 'Steam', Cliffs of Dover for one, while others are just available from the publisher such as RoF and DCS(you might be able to get this on steam also).

I think part of the reason is that flight sims are are very small market and the developers can't afford to give money away to retail stores.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37:20 am »
You are correct about needing to install DCS World first and that acting as the framework that all the purchased modules plug into.

I would just buy directly from DCS's website and do digital download.  I don't know if that sale is still ongoing but if it is most of those prices were a steal so now is the time to get them.

As to what you should get ... it sounds like DCS P-51D will be right up your alley.  And DCS will be coming out with a WWII module with a number of WWII aircraft in it so that will be something to watch for.

As for the other existing modules I would have to ask one question first .... how much level of detail are you going for? 

Example:  Do you expect to start an engine with just one or two keys?  Or do you expect/want it to be a good 5-10 minutes of fiddling in the cockpit? 

The reason I ask is there are different levels of fidelity in the DCS series.

Flaming Cliffs 3 allows you to fly a number of aircraft.  The flight models are 'good' and the controls are simple (one button to turn on an engine, etc).  But it's not true to life realism.  I rate it somewhere between arcade and a 'real' sim. 

Some modules like KA-50 have excellent flight models and the controls are more involved (you have to go through a full checklist to start up).  It's pretty true to life but not all the controls in the cockpit are modeled and actually do something.

Then you have modules like A-10C.  Every single control in the cockpit does what it's supposed to and the flight model is spot on.  But just starting the aircraft takes a full 7-10 minutes.  And to give you an idea of the level of detail the manual is 700+ pages.  You literally could just about fly the real aircraft once you get this sim down.  Obviously we don't expect you to read all that ... that's what the trainers are for.  But just be prepared for a steep learning curve if you want to jump into the deep end with all the bells and whistles. 

Plenty other modules are coming as well, both from DCS and from 3rd party vendors.  The F-86, Mig-21Bis, Mig-23, F/A-18C, Hawk, L-39 are all confirmed titles.

Depending on who produces each module ... each will vary in their level of fidelity but I would venture a guess that most of them would be mid range (like KA-50).  Some other advanced aircraft, like the F/A-18E and F-35 which are rumored to be coming are obviously still very classified so while they will still be mid-level fidelity sims probably most of the systems in them will be the developers best-guess as to how those systems work (like the radar) and not a true to life replication of the real thing. 

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »
Hi Greywolf,
How are you doing?  Long time no see!
Don't forget IL2 is still in the running as well.  We are still doing campaigns and you are welcome to jump on the wagon with us on that as well.

Cheers

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:41:23 pm »
Hanging in there Tai,

Yep Gos is helping me get setup with the current version of IL2. As soon as I get my ducks in a row I'll be back up flying il2.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Knutsac

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:06:18 pm »
Hey Greywolf, great to see you back!

~S~

AKA Knutsac

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 08:59:25 am »
last night TG and Greywolf had their DCS up and running... am trying to help them with setups.. but they will need to setup their Joysticks... not sure what exact joystick models they have but I guess if they want to get a profile from someone they can use or open to study as an example,, that might help...

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:59 am »
Yes, we need to know first what they have and then who else in the squad has something similar.

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 02:53:22 pm »
Thanks for the Help last night Ram, I still need to get my stick setting programmed in. Just a FYI, I took advantage of the current DCS modules and the sale price. Picked up both A-10C Warthog and P-51D Mustang. So now two more stick settings to fix.

Top Gun, I have a Saitek X-52 Flight Control System with Rudder Pedals.

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 04:55:23 pm »
Since I  have Saitek X52 Pro, my profiles won't help.... but I know there are a few pilots with the X52 non-pro...

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
CM HAF 922 pc case