Author Topic: Battle of Stalingrad  (Read 955 times)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Battle of Stalingrad
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:50:58 pm »
Flew on COD ATAG server last night - one of the 71st guys were there, said he has flown BoS and was knowledgable about it.  It is using ROF engine - an updated one at that.  ROF did a good job with graphics, sense of flight etc  considering this was a CloD pilot saying it was good to me gave it extra credibility (if such a thing )

I was impressed

Now, $89 is quite a price for a sim alpha/beta - as the cost is too help fund the game.  That said, the amount of hours we put into a well done sim is priceless - now - there are other preorder deals, so the game won't be that much - (check the we site for details)

I've been thinking I'd do it - as I would not like to be missing out :)

There is some deal if you preorder before 9/1 that you get the il2 gunner spot unlocked.

Check out http://il2sturmovik.com

Not trying to sell the game -  not sure how many of us have heard about it!

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Re: Battle of Stalingrad
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:02:55 pm »

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:44:13 pm »
I got on the dirty dog the minute I got notified from 777.
ROF is an excellent sim IMO and I would expect this will be equal or better quality graphics.

Salute

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
Interesting news about DCS now creating a WW2 sim.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109847

from Wags:

Ah, I was wondering how long this would take to go public (it is up to our partners to decide such matters). Basically, we have a partnership agreement with what used to be parts of the former IL-2 team to develop new DCS content. We are very excited about this, particularly what it means for our second world war combat environment.

What I find interesting is later in the thread it mentions this will all be announced September 1st - (same date in which they are trying to say 'buy RoS before Sept 1st to get the gunner).

I have a somewhat concocted story here.... I'm going to guess that DCS, which has done the Mustang, will build upon that for more of a sim that would appeal to westerners.  Battle of Stalingrad is focusing on Russian front to start.   I think there is some competitiveness here, and I'd suggest that they would be smart to not overlap the efforts - so I do think a later war scenario might be the direction of the DCS guys. 

Later in that thread:

Luthier had a very good looking model of an A1 Skyraider that was shown for that.

The rather late model P51 that is already in DCS would fit right in with it.

Some interesting news on this - some of the IL2/CloD developers from Maddox went to BoS, some are going to DCS.  There was even a question of 'is Oleg joining this DCS initiative?'.

Hopefully for us simmers, it just means more sims and that the genre isn't dying out (I was wondering after Cliffs of Dover initial fiasco).

Fun stuff eh?

Edit: here is Luthier's (he has joined this team) response:

Hello folks,

Wow, what a big thread.

Sorry - this whole thing wasn't supposed to be public yet. A single misclick on my part set in motion a chain of events of such epic proportions, who could have ever guessed. And well, here we are.

I've been posting on a Russian forum a bunch last night since that's where the leak came out. Figured I owe it to you guys to actually post everything in English.

Here's what I talked about in Russian yesterday:

1.   There’s a new project in development between RRG Studios (my company) and Eagle Dynamics.
2.   We’re making a new WWII flight sim.
3.   The general approach in the new sim is the same as in DCS: P-51.
4.   Cockpit workload, cabin systems, levers-buttons-gears, reliance on actual historical manuals, and the flight model, will be the same as in DCS: P-51.
5.   Modeling of various secondary internal systems, such as modeling the pressure inside each bend in the hydraulics, will be somewhat simplified.
6.   The landscape in the new project will be based on EDGE.
7.   The theater, planeset, screenshots, videos, etc – will come in due time.

And here's some new information:

1.   Myself and a bunch of ED guys are flying in nice tight formation to the Flying Legends airshow tomorrow. We’ll go TSA on the vintage warbirds there. There’ll be lots of videos and photos.
2.   The official project announcement, alongside screenshots, videos, schedules, and the most detailed feature description you’ve ever seen on any flight sim ever, will come no earlier and no later than September 1st, 2013. The date is very important for the project. We cannot miss it. Be there.

Other than that, I won’t be revealing any more details until Sept 1st.

I'll hang around here for a few more hours, and then I'm off to Flying Legends until Tuesday.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:09:08 pm by AKA_Recon »