Author Topic: General FM Guidelines  (Read 3119 times)

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: General FM Guidelines
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:14:26 am »
Blazin,

Responding to your original post I fly the 109’s on a regular basis and I encourage everyone else to do the same, it is great practice to fly aircraft from both sides so you can see what the other plane is truly capable of.

I keep an eye on the RPM gauge when I fly the E1 and E3, for me there is a sound bug with the 109 where it will reduce the sound level of the engine making it difficult to do pitch RPM control with my ear.  I keep the RPM at around 21.5K and try not to go over 23K in a climb but this has a lot to do with the fact that I am not an experten in a 109.  The E1 and E3 can certainly go over 23K for RPM but if it goes over 25K for too long the engine is done, the good 109 pilots can push the engine harder and get more out of it

I close the oil rad 40% to 50% and leave it, unless I have been pushing the machine a lot then I will only have it closed 20% or so until I have given the engine time to relax. I close the water rad ½ a turn which is safe, you can close it more but it does take some maintenance not to blow your engine. The other thing you have to watch out for is if you boost the engine repeatedly and then climb you better open your rads as the engine gets abused it becomes more sensitive to overheating.

As for the weapons on a 109 it is seriously different set up than the Spit and Hurri.  The 109 does have a lot of rounds for the MG’s but you are only shooting them out of 2 guns with the E3/4 and 4 for the E1, compared to 8 in the Spit and Hurri, so unless your target is a Blenhiem or is flying continually straight they are not very effective at all.  The canons on the other hand are very effective if you can get a solid hit. They of course have a slow firing rate, low velocity and only 60 rounds per cannon, but if you do make solid contact it is usually game over.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:54 pm »
sigh..

I like the planes, not the political crap. sorry, got several friends and family that are jewish, muslim, catholic, and more. We all get along fine. Didn't realize aka was like this

take er easy folks, I'm out!

I am a bit confused?  why would he leave the AKA?  I don't think Recon was being political at all, in fact the wink shows it.

Matte, I think he was responding to a picture I posted.  It was of a dutch girl getting her head shaved by other Dutch citizens in response to her being a Nazi sympathizer.  It was meant as a joke, nothing more.  Like, "Fly a 109 and we will shave your head!"  I assumed it would be taken as a joke, but I guess it wasn't.

I sincerely apologize that my humor was taken incorrectly.

Hey forget it Fehler, no worries. Just been under lots of stress with family crap lately. Sorry about that

I did leave aka though just because I never fly with you guys. I fly on atag servers in the early AM under another alias because I abandon my plane in flight a lot rather than RTB. I didn't want to have those stats reflect on aka. Good news is shoot, guess I can fly with blazin name again! haha  Screw the stats, just hope I dont get banned for it. If someone's on my tail and I gotta go I let em hit me then I nose dive in. Try not to be a jerk about it, just real life ya know

Maybe things will calm down later in the year and I can be on in the evenings once or twice a week. I went to school for accounting, got the degree, hated the job. Went back while holding that accounting job and got a CS degree and liked it and the job a lot! So figured, why not keep on going in grad school. I've got about a year left as I'm just part time student, but it adds to the problems and stress at times.

Got talked into taking an AI course and I received access two weeks ago to start working on it. I'm racking my brain on some of these things! It's going to be a long trimester. Good part is, I work with several old hands in the trade, one does AI search stuff, not exactly sure what it is but at least I have another resource plus a good buddy at the library system whose boss told him he could take work time to tutor people like me if he wants. Nice to have friends!

I usually enjoy a little flight in the AM to just start off my day fresh and wake up. Fun to buzz around a bit before I start off the long days!

Take it easy guys

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 04:04:45 pm »
Does this mean, hopefully, that you're back in uniform? We don't care about stats. If we did, hell, they'd have shot me years ago!
There's no requirement to fly regular either. Fly when it suits ya, I always say.

Also, if you tend to be irregular a lot, like some of us older Wardogs, a fresh box of Depends always fills the bill in a pinch.
 ;)
Gos

"Death from above"

Offline Fehler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 06:00:31 pm »
Blazin,

Thanks mate.  I am sorry I offended you.  Although I always seemed to fly as an antagonist against you, I wouldn't mind winging up sometime.  I fly whenever I can, sometimes that's in the evening, sometimes in the early AM since I am a night worker.  If you see me on ATAG coms in the morning, give me a shout!

@ Gos...

When I am irregular, I use this...

Haha!

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 07:37:55 pm »
Blazin, kindly put your uniform on.  I can't stand it when our dogs run around the base naked with their bums hanging out!
Besides you'll scare Gos and excite Koko!
And only I'm aloud to do that!

Salute

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 07:46:29 pm »
you guys are crazy, I suppose I can stay but dang, in 8 months I haven't flown with anyone in the squad once!

Sorry I over reacted, when the professor asks what I hope to accomplish this term I'll said I hope to find some intelligence because my own is missing!

Adding to frustrations with the darn cold snap here my pipes froze up in the back of the house. Hope they just froze up and don't break once things thaw out. I had to replace a bunch of the pipes few years ago last time this happened. Home ownership is awesome but it sure sucks sometimes.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 08:44:10 pm »
yikes, just coming back here.

I was kidding, because I love flying German  :)

I have an ongoing joke with Blasto on how if we go German, we will throw the entire ATAG server in disarray because there will be no Allied pilots - 'we will cause the balance of the war to shift' !

I'll get Blazin, we are on twitter :)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »
see your response now after PM.

I will be back to flying soon

What time you like to fly ?  I haven't been on lately as my mom has some health issues - she is in hospital and my dad isn't handling it all well  :(

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 04:21:42 am »
Sorry to hear that Recon ....... Good luck!
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:10 am »
see your response now after PM.

I will be back to flying soon

What time you like to fly ?  I haven't been on lately as my mom has some health issues - she is in hospital and my dad isn't handling it all well  :(

Dang sorry to hear, take care of family first

When you're available I'm online about 6 - 6:15am most days for about an hour and a half. I gotta get a mic though, my old one broke. Didn't bother to get a replacement usually lone wolf on there. Been playing with my video settings while learning to not blow up my 109! So for a bit I was too easy on it, ran it only 2100rpm and AI was flying circles around me but at least I didn't kill myself ! haha

Now with the doc I found and guidelines given here I'm pushing it harder, 2300 sustained, if temps arent too high I'll go 2500 for about a min. in a chase or to escape but try to dial it back to 2400. Notice acceleration is very good up to 450kmh so if I'm anywhere under that and I need a little speed I'll nose down hard then go to 0g and watch the speed rocket up. 109 sucks in a turn but it has real nice diving properties compared to spit/hurri in this time period. I think primarily due to the darn fuel injection advantage.

Spit pilot can't just drop it hard, gotta be gentle or roll it.  I was playing around with the snap rolls in spit to overcome this limitation. Judgement is very difficult though. Touch too much and your stalling, but given just right I can snap roll the spit and pull hard to mostly keep up with a diving 109. Situations to classic IL2 sim are the same, if you are diving behind a german, sure enter that dive FAST, but take it easy unless you're in gun range. If outside guns maybe you want to pull out of the dive at 500kmh, keeping it at 500kmh sustained. Once the 109 pulls out you will eventually catch up and be behind him at low alt. Not a good spot for anyone!

Shot down several online following this setup, snapped the spit over and stalked him rather than try to catch up. Catch up by diving below the enemy is a sucker move for spit pilots IMO. It won't happen and that 109 will extend and climb above you before you can mid air abandon the crate haha

What about flaps? Anyone try using them in combat? I see AI drop them all the time, was a big deal in classic IL2 but seems rare in the CLOD 6am crowd haha

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »
I have used them on the 109 and Hurri before, the Spit has landing flaps so they are not good in combat.  I think you will notice in COD that the flight dynamics allow for more energy tactics compared to legacy IL2, the dive acceleration was poorly modeled in legacy IL2 where in COD a 109 can use its fuel injection and dive acceleration to stay at an energy advantage, thus making the use of flaps a dangerous game since it will only bleed speed.  When you are in a 109 and get caught by a Spit with an energy advantage you are at a serious disadvantage, anything that would bleed energy is risky at best.  I fly the 109 as an energy fighter in COD, stay fast and don't over commit.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 07:16:12 pm »
So, all that said, we should all fly 109s now so I can learn something new  :)

I'd like to fly 109 with Matte, etc... and learn how to fly it right with you guys - would be a blast!  (not a 'blasto'!!!) lol

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:50 pm »
I would not say I know how to fly it right...  There are a lot of regular Blue players that could show me how to really fly a 109.  I can fight and stay alive, and get a kill here and there, but I am no experten.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft