Author Topic: BOS Night Idea  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
BOS Night Idea
« on: July 23, 2018, 09:20:23 am »
I have an idea for a squadron BOS night.

One option we have as a squadron, outside of TAW,  (and it's good timing as TAW is coming to a close) - is to use our coconuts server.

My thought on this is:

1. we have a coconuts server that only runs on BOS squad night.
2. just like 1946, we setup 'teams' for our squadron. 
3. on BOS night, we start it at the same time we do 1946, we run the mission.   It lasts for 3 hours.
4. after the mission ends, we turn off the server - then the next BOS squad night we turn it back on to continue where we left off

It has stats, etc...   So basically it will be the same setup as what we have for 1946.   To make life easier on Scorp, etc... we just initially use the built in coconuts campaign.   I would vote for Kuban since it has more US planes and probably will generate more interest.

We can then determine the settings.  I know that is controversial as well - so my question to the group is, do we use the same settings that you guys use for 1946 ?    Another thought is for the first campaign, so guys can get accustom to the game, we could enable icons or whatever the group decides.   

I think we should provide a lower barrier to entry.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: BOS Night Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:31:01 am »
Great idea!! I'm for, it.
Scorp, Rel, will this work as intended?
Let's try this on Tuesday nights, the same night as the old practice night to allow members to give it a try out.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:56:11 am »
I'm good with Tuesdays - not sure if we will have time to get it up and running this week I will be late, last week of summer league for my boys on T/TH .

maybe we use the current server this week as is and treat it as a open session night - maybe some guys can help answer questions about the game, etc...

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:19:53 am »
Thats an very interesting idea. It could generate more squad participants. I have seen as many as 7-8 AKA guys flying together on the same side (German) in our AKA Coconuts based server. Not the full real one, but the other one I lovingly refer to as the kiddie pool. I hate that term full real, should be called what it is. Full difficult, put a gun to your head PITA game turn off for the majority !!!!!

Enough ranting, back to the issue on hand.

One issue I see is with the map and plane sets.

Lets start with plane sets, I don't think the majority of the guys have the Kuban set of aircraft. I know I have Stalingrad and Moscow, I think that's going to be the case for a majority of the kiddie pool pilots. Everyone is still waiting on the Kuban set to drop in prices. So unless you create a campaign that also includes ALL the aircraft from the other versions (Stalingrad and Moscow, don't forget the two aircraft that have also been pre-released from Bodenplatte .... the Spit and the 109-G14), you may have connection issues which would be adverse to our goal of more AKA participation.

Second issue, is going to be map size. The Kuban map is absolutely huge for our small group, most maps it's a 30 minute flight to get from one end of the map towards the other side. I may be wrong but Scorp knows which map I am talking about.

I like the idea of shutting it down to save the current map situation, just unsure of how it will affect ground movements. That is also going to present us with gameplay issues. In 1946 the campaign commanders, determine how the ground units are going to flow and can anticipate movements of their pilots. In BOS it's going to have to evolve into something different. Maybe each side has base commanders that determine their assigned pilots function based on what happens in the in game map. Then in certain situations the base commanders for each side need to cooperate to accomplish an overall goal which could affect their base situations. Such as aiding each other in the event a base is in danger of being overrun.

Also supply and resupply issues need to be addressed. Coconuts has a version in which pilots are forced to move aircraft forward from their supply areas.

OK, that's my take, lets hear from others.

S! Grey

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:22:21 pm »
Who knows, I might even stop by.

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 03:29:38 pm »
Depending on how many we have show up..the AKA normal server may may be somewhat slow on air targets.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »
Well, several guys showed this evening, but some of us were unable to get onto the Coconut server for some reason. Others were able to join OK.
A few were able to get onto TAW and a couple other servers OK, but not Coconut.
The AKA server was not running, so maybe it was being worked on.

Let's try again next week, I guess.

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 05:28:51 am »
I wasn't able to show up util 1930 PST.  Ny that time nobody else was on
   :-(

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 05:45:19 am »
BOX having problems!!  So it ain't so.lol..I know I know....I couldn't get in for anything...

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:04 am »
The practice server has been having problems, runs one mission from a campaign and then stops.  Will try a different campaign and see if that helps.

AKA_Scorp

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:25:28 am »
while your looking at the kiddie pool.... can we disable external views (leave the icons though) ?

Offline AKA_Greywolf

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 10:27:43 am »
Do not disable the F4 view for while aircraft are on the ground though. If there is a way keep this as it will aid is guys being able to taxi around the airfield without running into things. I't the kiddie pool after all.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?" "Where are we?" and "Oh Shit!"

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 03:25:58 pm »
Ok about to get really ticked off here..the kiddie pool is the kiddie pool for a reason. very relaxed settings so we can have fun and try to enjoy the crap shoot that BOS is from time to time. We have a expert server that i believe has stricter settings. What are you worried about with externals on? It's the KIDDIE POOL. This is stating to become a struggle..for me at least. Want changes made, fine lets get together as a GROUP and hash things out.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 04:49:03 pm »
No worries, I was just thinking it would make a good learning setup for us.

Let me know if this takes off, I'll participate.

Thanks

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 01:26:36 pm »
I agree having a set time for <sim specific> nights is a good thing.  Unfortunately for BoX, IMO (just haven't spent enough time with it) the mission editor is the biggest obstacle for creating custom missions to meet specific training scenarios.  Since we opened up the AKA dynamic campaign servers to the public, I don't know if we want to close them off for AKA only, just at specific times.  Having them public I think has put AKA back on the map, since the servers are visible to the entire BoX community when they go online.

Scorp is the master at the BoX/Coconut dynamic campaign engine, so he'd be the best to answer how flexible it is to customize things as suggested.  Otherwise, as mentioned, the alternative is to create custom missions, or download some already existing out there, that meet our training needs.