Author Topic: Video Card - Distance Drawing  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Fehler

• View Profile
Video Card - Distance Drawing
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:03:27 am »
Guys, I am considering buying a better video card for CoD.  Before I do, I need to understand a few things. 

The card I run gives me pretty good FPS (around 25) over cities not named London, with most of the game aspects turned to medium and shadows turned on.  I am thinking about the GTX 760 with at least 2gig DDR.  That should allow me to turn everything up.

The question I have is really pretty simple.  When I fly, the ground doesnt seem to draw in with detail until I am nearly on top of it.  Also, when on the ground, the grass textures seem to disappear as I am moving, then re-draw, then disappear unless I am completely stopped.

Will a new card help with this?  When terrain navigating, it gets difficult to figure out where I am because the rivers and roads don't appear properly until I am right on top of them.  This has begun getting even more frustrating since I have been flying bombers more and more lately, and attempting to become proficient at level bombing. 

I guess I could post some screen shots to demonstrate what I am talking about, so I will do that at my first opportunity.

In any event, thanks for the responses!

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Video Card - Distance Drawing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:26:17 am »
Post a screen shot of your video settings, it might be something in there.
AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »
You might also let us know what kind of card you are currently using.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:31:12 am »
In COD I have gone with the adage, the more VRAM the better.  Before Team Fusion started working on COD I saw that it could use up to 2.5G of VRAM or more!  I think part of their optimization has been to reduce that, but there is still a ton of textures in COD. I would go as big as you can on the card, any time your system has to use regular RAM instead of VRAM for graphics it is a CPU cycle and a push thru the BUS, which slows everything down.

There is a setting for draw distance in the game and if you set it for max that should work better, but it will reduce your FPS. I don't have grass turned on, it does not play well with AMD cards.

MattE
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:34:35 am by AKA_MattE »

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Fehler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:27 pm »
OK, I played around with some video settings last night, and Matte is correct; ATI cards do not like CoD grass.  Jeez...  who doesn't like grass?  ;-)

So I turned that down, and turned land detail up and it draws much better.

I still get crappy (20-25) FPS, but that is because I am using an old Ati Radeon HD 4870!  I had two and was running them in crossfire, but one died.  It has on 1 gig onboard VRam, but the game seems to really like 2 or better.

I see that card prices are dropping right now with the anticipated release of the new Ati cards.  I think I will wait a few more weeks to upgrade...

Thanks for all the help everyone!  :-)

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:03:06 pm »
I think the combination of the motherboard, the ram, the video, graphics, operating system, hard drive quality, all make it work.. so, they must all be decent.. not just some.. a great video card with medium ram, or medium cpu will not be ideal performance.. they all must be decent... IMHO

so,, a quad core cpu with at least 3 ghz, a 760 or better video.. or equivalent ati radeon video,, quality ddr3 ram,, decent hard drive.. and win7 or win8....... a weak link in the chain wil cause it to not be as good as it could.. also some flight sims require more computer power than other flight sims.. IL-2, as old as it is requires dent computer specs because of the continuous upgrades to keep it up to date,, and COD, DCS, etc, require more power....

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:00:22 pm »
I have ATI and love it...

That said... CloD doesn't like ATI as much as NVidia.

There is a bug where you see white lines in the water/ground (mostly water) that can be distracting...  I have screenshots if you want to see.

But the card rocks. that said, I would consider sticking with NVidia since it gets better support with CloD

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:22:49 am »
I think the combination of the motherboard, the ram, the video, graphics, operating system, hard drive quality, all make it work.. so, they must all be decent.. not just some.. a great video card with medium ram, or medium cpu will not be ideal performance.. they all must be decent... IMHO

so,, a quad core cpu with at least 3 ghz, a 760 or better video.. or equivalent ati radeon video,, quality ddr3 ram,, decent hard drive.. and win7 or win8....... a weak link in the chain wil cause it to not be as good as it could.. also some flight sims require more computer power than other flight sims.. IL-2, as old as it is requires dent computer specs because of the continuous upgrades to keep it up to date,, and COD, DCS, etc, require more power....

Save yourself trouble, do not use win8

I have had it on my main desktop since june last year, I just formatted it away last sunday and about to finish up patching win7 today I hope. Win8 I got lots of stutters and freezing in clod. I could fix most of it but not all, others reported same with similar hardware. Also I can't change plane loadouts in CLOD or I crash to desktop. I've been flying on default all this time because of that. Saw fixes out there posted but none work for me in either win8.0 or 8.1

Stay with win7x64

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:34:41 am »
my system:

amd a10 apu
8gig ram
nvidia gtx650ti - 2gb
crucial brand ssd sata6
some random msi mainboard that had sata6 and usb3 in it

Got the apu because at the time of upgrade couldnt afford gfx card same time. Apu ran real well in IL2, 150fps range, CLOD was low teens.  When I put the nvidia card in I never tried IL2 again, actually dont even have it installed anymore as I liked CLOD so much I never fly the old one! But in CLOD I can run max res 1920x1080 or whatever it is, and its very smooth. I haven't checked FPS on it but from the way it acts I know its gotta be around 60fps. I just get freeze ups when stuff suddenly loads into the map like spawning a squad of hurris playing single player. With win7 its supposed to be better, will know soon. Usually have 1 freeze per mission and the rest of the time its smooth as butter!

Btw, I am selling the 650 for $100 + ship. Going to put it on ebay next week unless you want to buy it?  Got a 760 coming for the cuda cores. Doing distributed development at work and want to test it out with hadoop database that supports gpu acceleration. So I get subsidy for parts! haha

Not 100% which is why I gotta sell it or I'd just give it to my neighbor. Cool guy I've known for 10 years now, gave him my old core2duo system to upgrade away from his pentium 4. That 650 might not even work on that computer thinking about it.. 

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:43 am »
I'm work from home today so goofin off a bit.. shhh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=COCh54Sl77sCFfBDMgod7w8AfA&Item=N82E16814121725&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814121725&ef_id=UrnTigAAAV8c7VvV:20140108191524:s

that's the card I have installed now. If you got the cash go for the 760 though, it'll be much better, but the 650 will work. I only have buildings on medium and grass turned off, no AA on at max res and max everything else. I'm sure the CPU and lots of ram doesn't hurt. If your running something under 3ghz I wouldn't buy the 650 as it may not make up for the weaker CPU. Get the 760 to be safe

Also for better performance when I fly I turn off windows defender and firewall. Eliminates all the small stutters, just the 1 big freeze per mission which kinda sucks but its very playable.

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
oh wait, hold off on that card offer. ebay didn't let me cancel the transaction as the buyer notified them he intends to pay within 48 hours. ugh.. pain..

But he did bid 125 bucks plus shipping so maybe it'll work out. stupid thing, I'll let you know

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:16 pm »
Well that joker came through, I got the funds and shipped it today. Filed a claim to close it out but he denied it and managed to pay before I could force it closed. Buyer gets 2 days initially to pay, then if seller files claim right away the buyer gets another 7 days to pay before seller can close and relist or whatever. I should try that, go into Meijer and get a load of food, say hey ! I'll pay in 9 days!

But anyway, I also double checked CLOD settings and I did have stuff switched off. I thought it was all on! So 650 will work, but when I had full switch video hi res it was low frames. If I turned down buildings, grass, and (can't recall last one) on hi res with no anti alias it was good with 1 freeze up per mission.

I just got a gtx 760 installed, the 1 freeze per mission is gone and made sure full switch this time! Unfortunately at that resolution I can't see a dog on thing so I cranked it back and turned AA to 8 so I can spot the dots. Don't have a 32" monitor here so I think my max playable is around 1320 range haha

I did notice with desktop res set high, if the game is set low and you hit esc to leave the mission the game freezes up and you're kicked to desktop. I just have to lower res in desktop before starting the game, no biggie. That is a strange bug but simple work around

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »
Blazin,, I hope you use the HDMI connector from video card to lcd monitor.. and use the desktop resolution.. easy, no muss, no fuss..

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 10:52:50 am »
I have used DVI connectors, but that's a good idea to try. I have an HDMI to DVI connector I use for a couple rasberry pi machines I have running. I'll try it out next time. I saw other people posting about the same issue so might be related to certain hardware combinations too.

I'll let you know! Thanks

Offline AKA_BUCKY

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:59 am »
Thanks Blazen and everyone. You guys are helping me pick my rig. One question:  what about the new Intel processors?  Anything to consider?