Author Topic: Suggestion - no ferrying  (Read 1334 times)

Offline AKA_Trapper

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Suggestion - no ferrying
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »
May I make a suggestion for the next campaign ?

No ferrying of aircraft.

Let's have fully stocked airfields just like they did in WWII (pretend they are).

I see nothing in the credits of George Preddy, Richard Bong, and other notable airmen of how many airplanes they ferried.

Because of a medical condition I have limited time to fly during campaign missions.

I don't want to, or have to ferry airplanes before I can fly the mission.

It ain't fun; and isn't that what flying the campaign is supposed to be all about ?

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion - no ferrying
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »
Hi Trap,
You are exempt from ferry duties. ;)

Cheers

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Trapper

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:07:54 pm »
Hi Trap,
You are exempt from ferry duties. ;)

Cheers

Tai

Thanks, but then I would be flying solo and not with my flight/element, and in particular in violation of SOP (equals latrine duty).

I'd be completely exposed to the enemy  :'( and unable to fend off the hordes around me  :(

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:33:12 pm »
I'll make sure you don't fly solo Trap.
Don't worry.

Cheers

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:32 pm »
We'll protect you as well as we do any of the rest of us, Trapper. You're too valuable to us to just let you go off alone.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »
S! Trap,

I agree with you, I hate ferrying, but wanted to be fair as there were requests to limit the number of aircraft.    I reduced the number of planes from the previous campaign, but also removed the AI from the equation with respect to their destruction lowering the plane numbers for humans.    I didn't really like to do the former, while I liked the latter move.

Going forward, I think I will push for more aircraft.  One reason is that I will be adjusting the column makeup to make them much tougher to destroy.  I will start adding AAA vehicles to all soft columns as they are easy meat right now.  Probably 2 AAA vehicles per column.  Plus, I will likely introduce a new AAA only column that may contain two AAA vehicles that can be grouped with tank columns if the commanders so desire.

With these changes, it will be much tougher to destroy ground units, thus we should have more planes to start to counter this IMO.

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Trapper

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:26:56 am »
S! Trap,

I agree with you, I hate ferrying, but wanted to be fair as there were requests to limit the number of aircraft.    I reduced the number of planes from the previous campaign, but also removed the AI from the equation with respect to their destruction lowering the plane numbers for humans.    I didn't really like to do the former, while I liked the latter move.

Going forward, I think I will push for more aircraft.  One reason is that I will be adjusting the column makeup to make them much tougher to destroy.  I will start adding AAA vehicles to all soft columns as they are easy meat right now.  Probably 2 AAA vehicles per column.  Plus, I will likely introduce a new AAA only column that may contain two AAA vehicles that can be grouped with tank columns if the commanders so desire.

With these changes, it will be much tougher to destroy ground units, thus we should have more planes to start to counter this IMO.

S! Rel

Thanks Rel !

The only reason I'm pushing for this is that looking at the stats I don't see where a pilot hasn't been shot down/crashed in the course of the evening mission

That means 1 less airplane at the airfield for every shoot-down/crash and the requirement to ferry.

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 05:11:50 pm »
 8) Soft columns may be easy to kill, but German Tigers and even Panthers are very hard to kill. I think we need to be able to make a different mix of convoy vehicles. Add anti tank artillery to the Red convoys for instance, so the superior German tanks do not wipe them out every time they get within Blue range. When that happens Reds lose ground and Red spends 4 extra missions(about20 sorties)  "Air killing" Panthers and Tigers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:24:32 pm by AKA_Wayno »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »
S! Wayno,

Towed artillery doesn't shoot while in transit, so those would be easily destroyed by German tanks.  I'm not sure if they would shoot even if static.

Tigers are hard to kill, but not impossible, with heavy guns (i.e. 37mm of the IL2 or 40mm of the Hurri), you just have to dive on them from their six.  But then again, they were hard to kill :).  I usually only have only 1/4-1/3 of the German tanks as Tigers depending on the campaign, so there shouldn't be that many compared to the rest.  Panthers aren't nearly as difficult as Tigers, you still should attack them from their six high but don't need as much of an attack angle as the Tigers.  The Panzer IV's we have in the Kurland '43 campaign are easy to kill from any angle, steep or flat attack angle.

S! Rel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:34:10 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_Jericho

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »
As I mentioned we had the same trouble with t34 tanks 500 Kg bombs did nothing to them nor did a 2 x 1000 kg dropped by an ju88 we wasted so much time on this and lost planes we abandoned that mission.

Iam not a great fan of transferring aircraft from such great distances but for the Dynamics for the campaign it is difference between tactical Advantage or disadvantage your front line would have not been able to move forward as had done so if we had all planes available all the time.

but a compromise might be achieved by double loading secondary airfields that is to say front line fields can hold full squadron strength 16-24 ac second line airfields 2 squadron strength the supply bases infinite. off coarse map structure is the factor.

Just a thought

S! J

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »
I was thinking of at least going back to the 16/32 model (i.e. 16 for all airbases except the supply base, which has 32).  The current 12/24 model is just low enough that you need to start ferrying the "prime" aircraft after the first two or three missions, depending on the attrition.

You're right, there is some importance to NOT having unlimited aircraft, so I don't want to go too high.  Also, by removing the AI aircraft from the equation, it is like we have more aircraft because before those losses were subtracting from the aircraft availability at various airfields (where ever the AI spawned from THAT mission).

Another issue is the number of airfields.  If we have a lot of airfields, 16 per would probably work OK.  If they are really spread out, and not too many per side, we may need to use a 24/48 model or something.. we'll have to see next campaign.

S! Rel