Author Topic: AKA DCS Multiplayer Direction - Proposed meeting Thur Oct. 4th @ 8:30pm EST  (Read 289 times)

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Sorry for posting so late.  I'm still dealing with a sick pet and had to do another emergency vet trip this evening. 

It has been suggested that we do a sit down to better determine our direction. 

I would definitely like to talk about that at some point in the very near future probably on a Monday or Thursday meeting.  I am thinking about Oct 4th @ 8:30pm EST so that gives a full week for this message to get out to everyone (since some of us don’t read the AKA forums).  If you know anyone who pops into DCS but does not check these forums please make them aware of this. 

In the mean time these are some things you all need to think about prior to the coming meeting.

1.       What server are you wanting to do?
a.       Our own campaign missions?  (We tried one out on Saturday and after some tinkering we got it to work and it did rather well.  We could certainly expand on this IF we get enough consistent design support from AKA members).
b.       Blue Flag?  If so, which one?
c.       Through the Inferno?
d.       Other?

2.       Which side do you want to play on, Red or Blue?

3.       What aircraft currently comprise that side for that server?

4.       If you have to pick 2 roles which roles would they be?
a.       CAS - Close air support/ground attack (fixed wing)
b.       GA - Ground attack (helo)
c.       CAP – Combat air patrol / air superiority
d.       TRANS – Ground transport (utility helo)
e.       SEAD – Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (fixed wing)
f.        RECON – Aircraft that are able to call in support strikes, or are able to carry crates but not troops or controlling ground vehicles via Combined Arms (only on servers that support this role),  - (fixed wing, helo, ground vehicle)

5.       If you have to pick (at least) 2 aircraft available on that server that will fill at least 2 of the above roles, what will they be?

6.       Is Simple Radio (SRS) required for that server?

7.       Do you have Simple Radio set up and working on your system?

8.       If you do not currently have SRS on your system, are you willing to install it and try and get it working?

9.     Are you able to commit to at least 1 day a week for squadron activities? 

10.   If so, what day(s) would work best for you?

The end objective here is we need to determine what we are flying on, what aircraft will be available, what aircraft you will specialize (i.e. get fluent) in, and therefore … what you need to practice on (systems, tasks, weapons, and tactics).  Lastly, once we know what everyone is flying, we need to pick some resident experts who are willing and able to make a commitment to hold trainings on those specific aircraft so everyone can get up to speed.

To answer the question before it gets asked.  I do NOT require anyone to do manual starts of aircraft during combat evenings every time you start.  If you want to use autostart, go for it. 

HOWEVER.  I will say that I DO ask everyone to go through the manual start sequence of the aircraft that they are going to specialize in so that you are at least familiar with it and can do it if the need arises (i.e. the autostart sequence fails) so that you are not sitting useless on the ground for 30+ minutes trying to figure out what is wrong.  I think the rule going forward is … if you rely on the autostart … and you try the autostart twice and it fails both times, after that you need to start manually.  I have step by step startup videos for ALL non-FC3 aircraft (except the new Yak-52 module) on my YouTube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8agvfFDAyMk2-szm7A1gwQ/   

For the Mirage, you can skip the INS alignment sequence since most servers have the option selected that the INS does not require alignment.  For the L-39 you do not need to set up the ADF/RSBN channels.  With those exceptions in mind, any DCS aircraft can be manually cold started and gotten to a ready-to-taxi state in less than 8 minutes (most aircraft can take far less time than that).  Remember, we are usually on the beta version of DCS.  Things can and will break (modules in general, or particular systems/weapons on some modules, or automated sequences).  So you need to be prepared to work around problems as they arise. 

If you have any other points we need to consider please list them so they can be addressed during the meeting. 

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Re: AKA DCS Multiplayer Direction - Proposed meeting Thur Oct. 4th @ 8:30pm EST
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 04:52:47 am »
Thanks Top

I will be there.

First off - I highly value our training night sessions. Whether it be to focus on a particular AC/helo or doing some practice missions, but all in a 'training' environment.  The training of startup sequence, practice against varying difficulty levels of targets,  etc.. has been extremely valuable.

Practice also can be "let's get on TAW and work on Ka-50 to eliminate a target" or "let's wing in Su27s on Through the Inferno" to get better fighting together.  I know my flights with Big10 has been really helpful.  Probably one of the better nights was when Big10 and I did 2v2 against Matte and Rel because we could get their feedback which was invaluable.

That said, I'd like to see these limited though and use the other nights/times as official 'combat' nights. 

Personally I feel the goal of an online squadron should be to compete in online war servers.  So we take what we are learning and then apply that to flying in a venue, such as Blue Flag.  This is my goal, I train to get better so I can then compete online.  (This pattern is same as flying Forgotten Skies in IL2, Storm of War in CloD, TAW in BoX).

I really enjoyed the night on BF where we had 5-6 pilots working to accomplish a goal, one of my favorite nights.  We did it like 1-2 times and I want to see us flying regularly together, as a squadron on this server.  That doesn't mean I don't want to do a COOP session as well, perhaps occasionally to mix things up, but at least at this present time I really want to get us all flying BF missions together.  The timing of them switching the main server to PG messed us up.   

Also I definitely want to concentrate on becoming better at certain roles, but also want to be capable of multi-roles for BF tasks - ie "we need someone to take out radar" or "please deliver a crate to AF", which these scenarios require different airframes and skills.   That said, I think to do well on BF we definitely need pilots bringing their skills to the table in their best roles.  I would recommend as well that our leadership help guide pilots in this as well, I know I would value being told 'hey Recon we really need you to do this role on BF for us'.   

As far as sides, the reason I picked Red was that during our time one it was lopsided in favor of Blue on BF, so it only made sense to me.  But, I'm willing to fly whatever side we decide, all I ask is we stick with a side for awhile to become good at those AC.  Ironically my initial goal was to learn the F-15, but I've come to enjoy the Ka-50, Su-27, and now try to get more competent with the Su-25T.  At the same time I eventually want to learn the F/A-18 or F-24, or Mirage. Etc..  as the Hornet gets better and had multi-role capabilities it will be hard to not want to learn it - as well as seeing where the F-14 works should make things interesting.  DCS in our time one is similar to prop games where we tend to see many more Axis than Allies, unless they have good US prop planes :).  So again, I don't really care but if we do something like BF, being able to help balance the sides would be my preferences - joining a server where it's 15-3 in favor of Blue and then adding 5 more Blue doesn't feel right to me :). (Btw, weekend afternoons are the best times - just harder to do !).  I have heard the F-14 will go red in BF, so that should help balance out the US pilots.  Obviously the F/A-18 has the most upside (after bugs are fixed...)

Sharing my thoughts now as it can be hard to do in group meetings and I look forward to hearing others views and goals.

S!
Recon
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:26:27 am by AKA_Recon »

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:51:49 am »
(btw sorry for typos, damn phones...)

I should mention - I recommend that before we just pick something like Blue Flag that we evaluate what the different multiplayer servers offer and the pro and cons.

DDCS ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e5hrsvsLat7YrT1l1iR0W_vZMknYVPXJWd5VAnexgrM/edit )
For example, a pro and a con of Dynamic DCS is they have both AC on both sides, so if we want something where everyone can fly their favorite AC then that is a good option. I know IFF is brought up but I have to laugh at times since I hardly ever ID an AC visually so I'm not sure if that is really an issue.  I do see balanced numbers on the server and it's frequently populated.

104th
104th is also another good server - I hopped on their teamspeak a few nights ago and although they promote SRS, we had 6-8 guys on TS which was fun.  They have a setup where you capture different airbases to take territory.

Through the Inferno
Through the Inferno has mostly been PvE, which we have used for practicing vs AI, but they are also adding PvP now, I'll have to get more details - like I'm not sure it's a campaign but maybe that is their goal.

Blue Flag
Also, when. We discuss BF, helps to know the map.  On PG right now they allow for the 27ET and 120B missiles.

So give some thought if you want to do online servers which one has the greatest appeal.  Also we could have an evaluation period where we try different ones - basically just saying we can work through finding the best fit for us
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:59:10 am by AKA_Recon »

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:10:28 am »
I asked some questions around DDCS:   Very informative:

similar play to blue flag, but with the ability to actually command the units with CA and some additional features that are pretty nice
AKA_ReconToday at 11:00 AM
so generally speaking the red and blue circles are showing who currently controls that base/farp
when I click on one, should I be seeing anything ?
like the status of it
also, from what I was told, do both sides have the same AC ?  Are there issues with IFF or friendly fire if so ?
QuagglesToday at 11:02 AM
You don't get any more details apart from which side owns it

Drex (The server owner) is going to rewrite the web map at some point so it shows all the friendly units on there as well
AKA_ReconToday at 11:02 AM
ok cool
QuagglesToday at 11:03 AM
And yeah on the standard server some aircraft overlap, a few are sidelocked though like blue has the F-15 and F-5E and red has the Su-27, J-11, MiG-29 and MiG-21
AKA_ReconToday at 11:03 AM
do you declare a side when you join ?
ok, is F/A-18 on both sides then ?
QuagglesToday at 11:03 AM
But ones like the Mirage 2000C and F/A-18C are on both
Yep
AKA_ReconToday at 11:03 AM
ok, probably helps with keeping balanced sides
are ground units also by red or blue ?
QuagglesToday at 11:04 AM
The Hardcore server on the Persian Gulf has no overlapping aircraft and enforces using SRS
Ground units have no overlap, no red unit is on and blue(edited)
AKA_ReconToday at 11:04 AM
ok, so PG there are no shared AC ?
QuagglesToday at 11:05 AM
Yep
It's still in development and not many people play on it yet
AKA_ReconToday at 11:05 AM
ok.  thanks for answering my questions
QuagglesToday at 11:05 AM
It has a hardcore ruleset where the F10 map is disabled, kill messages are disabled and the server rotates into nighttime
On the standard server you can't bring modern AA missiles like the R-77, AIM-120, R-27ER or R-27ET
And on hardcore you can bring those weapons but only 2 at a time
AKA_ReconToday at 11:07 AM
oh, we mentioned jets, overlap on any helo's ?
NEW MESSAGES
QuagglesToday at 11:08 AM
All helos are available to both teams
SF_FarragoToday at 11:08 AM
all aircraft besides FC3 fighters are on both

Perhaps this should be considered because then we are limited in the non-FC3 ac choices

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:20:11 pm »
I'll be there.....
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 05:11:23 pm »
I probably won’t be able to make it on time.  Weekly late afternoon meeting with my boss usually precludes my heading home until at least 5:00-5:30 (Pacific) on Thursdays.  I’ll join when I can.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 01:42:39 pm »
I suggest we push it forward 30 minutes (9 EST)

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
Or back depending how you look at it  :P
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
9pm is fine.

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
I have adjusted the units at the FARPs to be more like Blue Flag.  But I'm going off of memory so if you see something missing let me know.