Author Topic: Video Card - Distance Drawing  (Read 3300 times)

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Video Card - Distance Drawing
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 08:58:43 am »
You got me on the CPU question, I know intel is faster but the cost difference is significant. If you have money to blow get what you can afford, but I saved money on the CPU to spend on a faster GPU later.

One note - be careful on power supply. The video cards now require 6 pin and 8 pin adapters. Some power supplies don't come with an extra 8 pin and the adapters suck. I spent more on my power supply than I did on a motherboard to get one that had lots of connections. I didn't go full out with a gold 80 rating but I did go to micro center and opened some boxes of various brands. Ended up with a 650 thermaltake.

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 09:25:20 am »
Mo $.02 worth:

Power Supplies: Thermaltake power supply is the way to go, but I'd recommend a bit higher, like an 850.
DO NOT GET THE "GREEN" ONE IN ANY BRAND!!!! Some advertise a green variant that operates at a lower power level to apparently help the environment, and if you hold it in your hand it's lighter than the non-green variant. Get the heavier of the two! It will last much longer and has more options available, like cables and connectors. They all are designed to fit into the case, so don't worry about the size of the 850. You'll want the better supply because of the power requirements of the graphics cards and MB abilities.

Motherboard: Personally, I prefer Asus. They are terrific boards. Be sure to get one with several USB ports on the back and don't worry about the onboard-graphics because you're not going to want to use that anyway. I also don't concern myself with over-clocking. A good CPU won't need it and it'll last longer if you don't do it, in my bird-brained opinion. I would recommend you consider a cooling system if you can afford the extra $80-90. They are easy to install and take the worries out of keeping that CPU cool. These save a lot of space inside your case as well.

Case: I LOVE my Corsair case! http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/vengeance-series-gaming-case/vengeance-c70-mid-tower-gaming-case-military-green.html
These are very subjective, though. This one looks like an ammo can, solid as a rock and easy to access everything inside. Lots of rooms for fans, too. (That and the video card are why you want the better power supply.)

CPU: Intel is the way I'd go, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd have gotten the equivalent i5 instead of the i7. Both are available in the same Hz rating, like 3.5GHz, but the i7 has additional capabilities that are great for designing the Empire State Building, but adds nothing for use with a flight simulator. The equivalent i5 is a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and that money should go towards getting a better graphics card. Be sure thqat your CPU is at least a 3.5GHz. Never get less than a 3.0.

Graphics: I prefer NVidia because the games are geared more for that type of card, in my opinion. Get the best you can afford. Personally, I would not go for anything other than an EVGA and not less than  the "80" series, like a 680 or 780, but the "TI" series, like the 650ti seems to do a very nice job with the games. It's important that you get as much video memory on the card as possible, such as 1.5GHz to 4GHz, but it's costly. There are different kinds of cards at the same ratings, such as the rendition version of the 680 that is designed with 1 fan and another version (don't recall the name) that has two fans on the card. Either one will get you the performance you are seeking.

Controllers: CH! Hey, if it works for Wiley, it can't be wrong. I also prefer those.

Donations: always give as much as you can to your feathered friends!! Especially the endangered species ones, like Goshawks!Cash in higher denominations is always preferred and you can send it by mail or bank transfers. It'll definitely make you feel much better about yourself!! Ignore the ramblings of that snake-in-the-grass, Taipan, when he says I'm not worthy. 

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »
Thanks Blazen and everyone. You guys are helping me pick my rig. One question:  what about the new Intel processors?  Anything to consider?

with quad core I like the biggest cpu cache and ghz I can afford when I get a cpu... also, no difference if you prefer amd or intel cpu,, some people like one the other or both... not sure, but I just usually go with intel.. There are several variations and models,, but I am not up to the latest since I bought a new machine a couple years back, so you have to read gamer reviews on the latest reviews on cpu's... every year they bring out something better.. generally just like a car there's no substitute for cubic inches. but there are different versions of the same model. as far as cooling, in the summer, what will temps be like in that room?

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_BUCKY

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 03:44:26 pm »
Thanks guys...I'll take your advice under consideration.  Appreciate it.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 05:00:54 am »
DVI is ok

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 12:50:57 pm »
I like to have to rodents running round on wheel to run mine but if I can't get that I go for intel for compatibility.
Failing that, a sheep on a treadmill works in a pinch but I can't swallow them whole like a rodent when I get peckish!
Much like Gos, I also take large non marked denominations!

Regards

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »
DVI is ok

Yup, tried the HDMI cable, no difference. I just like the lower res for spotting things but the game does look pretty at full 1920! Gotta remember to leave AA and AF at full, occasionally get LODs that flash at mid range without those cranked up. Its kind of annoying

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:48 pm »
I need to do that as well, I don't think I have the AA and AF at full

Offline AKA_Hangten

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:33 pm »
S! All

I'am running 760 NVidia card with  2GB on the card. I can crank COD to  the maxs no lost of FR and reverthing on
S! Hangten

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 08:52:31 am »
 I built this for someone recently and it is pretty fast and for the money was a good deal..... a great base that you can upgrade a graphics card and ram to in the future if needed . The build was the easiest so far with no issues with anything.....Ran a bunch of benchmarks and it all looks good ..... All AMD.... I know the AMD cards may have an issue with ClOD but issue I saw was hardly a deal breaker if you can get a good deal on a system with a fast 2 gig card......I know a lot will balk at 550W psu but if its a well built efficient PSU and you're not an over clocker it will be fine, most one card systems will only pull about 275 watts or so in demanding games ..Whats on the 12 volt rail is what you look at. Build's are subjective and most have an preference to one thing or another (Like Chevy,Ford,Dodge) But that's my 2 cents ......and it's probably only worth a penny  ;) Good luck!.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1515834

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Six-Core CPU
XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:45:39 am by AKA_Sully »
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »
I like it sully! I've just had issues with anomalies when flying with ATI cards but it may have just been bad luck.

The linux world seems to love ATI, but I think it's only due to Nvidia's process for releasing drivers. OpenSUSE recently went through a deal with its 13.1 release cycle and came down to the wire, they finally decided to release without nvidia support because they were taking too long. Just one of those things, happens now and then

My own card that I sold on ebay I think the person might be trying to scam me but I took precautions using fedex with direct signature required. USPS will accept anything far as signature goes but fedex is far safer. So paypal finally got the funds after 10 days screwing around and I ship it. No surprise, fedex shows exception the lady doesn't live at that address. So putting it on a facility hold for pickup to give her a chance in case its just a mistake but I may be getting it back soon! lol

Gotta love people, been down this road before. They'll say they never got it and demand paypal refund and ebay favors the buyer if you don't do the signature route. Sold a compound bow few years ago and they beat me. Scammers aren't going to win this time!

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »
The scammers really know how to try to get away with crap, that's because honest people don't have that gene or thought process... a big problem is law enforcement doesn't help or care with the small ebay stuff... the crooked district attorneys of where the crooks live and steal, well those district attorneys will not help the victim they are donators to their campaigns...
the laws are there, the eBay rules are there, but Paypal will not be much help at all, as by the time you through the waiting period for help, too much time has been given to the crooks..
Craigslist has it's own set of problems, but as long as you take some precautions, you should be ok... but, the world isn't getting any safer...
 ::)

I like it sully! I've just had issues with anomalies when flying with ATI cards but it may have just been bad luck.

The linux world seems to love ATI, but I think it's only due to Nvidia's process for releasing drivers. OpenSUSE recently went through a deal with its 13.1 release cycle and came down to the wire, they finally decided to release without nvidia support because they were taking too long. Just one of those things, happens now and then

My own card that I sold on ebay I think the person might be trying to scam me but I took precautions using fedex with direct signature required. USPS will accept anything far as signature goes but fedex is far safer. So paypal finally got the funds after 10 days screwing around and I ship it. No surprise, fedex shows exception the lady doesn't live at that address. So putting it on a facility hold for pickup to give her a chance in case its just a mistake but I may be getting it back soon! lol

Gotta love people, been down this road before. They'll say they never got it and demand paypal refund and ebay favors the buyer if you don't do the signature route. Sold a compound bow few years ago and they beat me. Scammers aren't going to win this time!

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Blazin

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »
Good news, recovered the shipping cost, ebay and paypal fees and the video card is on the way back to my home address via fedex. I had the package held at a fedex/kinko drop location near the buyer's address but they never showed up with valid ID to release it.

Paypal had the buyer's money, gave me the fee and shipping funds and returned the rest minus yet another heavy fee. So don't know what's up but out of the 141 bucks they sent they're only getting 91 back. Paypal fees are enormous!!! I've been using bitcoin for a bit, the exchange rate has finally stabilized again so it's a viable tool to pay someone and the fees are like .01 per transaction or free if you're moving enough money. More you transfer the less likely you will even have a fee. To get bitcoin to USD it's about $30 though. Guess its not too bad considering paypal just took $15 to move 141 dollars around just twice! Wow..

Even better there are some brokerage services like paypal for bitcoin to do that middle man service to ensure product is moved help protect buy/seller and they don't charge anything near as much as paypal. Now I just wish I had put more money into bitcoin last year before the spike! Ah well, who knew?