Author Topic: image mechanical HD to SSD  (Read 127 times)

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
image mechanical HD to SSD
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:28:49 am »
My main drive is mechanical and
win7 professional N

I would very much like to image this drive to a SSD but imagine it is not really possible today.

Anyway, we used to do this where i worked using linux command line (to do the actual imaging)  but that was years ago and i'm sure this trick cannot be done anymore.

Is there a way to transfer an entire drive image to a solid state drive?

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: image mechanical HD to SSD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
There is likely software that will do this for you, but that's the only way I can thin k of in this day and age.
When the systems were run on DOS, it was possible to "xcopy *.* for all files and folders, but that is not a part of history.

If you're thinking of moving Windows from your IDE drive to a SSD drive, I'd hold off with that and just move all your games to the SSD instead. That should be nothing more than dragging and dropping the folders onto the SSD drive. Don't delete the original folders until you test the game from the SSD and it works OK.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:21:32 pm »
I used cloning software from one of the HD manufacturers when I installed an SSD.  Only one HD's/SSD's has to be from the manufacturer.  To be effective you need your OS and games on the SSD, I moved other programs and documents/photos etc to the HD after I had reformatted it.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:44:24 am »
All you need is Acronis True Image. You make a bootable USB with the software. Then get a USB hard drive cradle. https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Hot-Swap-External-Docking-Compatible/dp/B01J4XNLN6?th=1 Put the new (destination) drive in the cradle and leave the original (source) drive in computer. Boot to the USB flash drive and you will see a selection to copy. The turn off computer swap drives and boot. The PC will never know the difference. Only thing is make sure the source drive does not have more used space than the destination has available. https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/cloning-software/ Acronis will also do backups. Get a big external drive and you will be set. I have a 1 TB SSD I will cloning to a 2 TB SSD.
AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

IL2 - BoS - BoM - BoK - BoB

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:52:56 am »
I know copying is tempting, but I would just do a new install. Just my 2 cents.  ;)

btw, acronis has a big sale, it is still ongoing today.  Newegg $60.00
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200141&Description=acronis&cm_re=acronis-_-32-200-141-_-Product

I think my old copy is either old version, or trial. I don't do that anymore though, just do new installs.

I have a 4TB USB backup:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178864
Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive - STDR4000901 (Blue)
was $100.00
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:04:38 am by AKA_Ramstein »

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:59 am »
good point ram. @AKA_TG no need to get the newest version. i have 2016 i think. no issues. and 2016 is cheaper if you search.
AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

IL2 - BoS - BoM - BoK - BoB