Author Topic: Community A-4E mod now available!  (Read 832 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Community A-4E mod now available!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 01:09:46 pm »
What is everyone opinion on the Skyhawk. I have not bother to install it. Have been knee deep in fallout 76.

I like it - its agile, and rolls like a mo-fo, and free, what’s not to like! :)  Only dumb weapons, but it can carry a decent number of bombs for its size.  Pretty hi-fidelity clickable cockpit, I like it so far.  Need to learn more about the radar, but I think it’s mostly for NOE flying esp at night but just one more asset to use for that specialized purpose (like the Viggen but it’s more multi-role).

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 02:19:47 pm »
I read somewhere that the real life A-4 did not have a radar gun site.  Only progressive markings on the reticle. In a later model it grew a hump. Probably not for radar but fuel or ECM. Not sure otherwise about the radar.
AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

IL2 - BoS - BoM - BoK - BoB

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 02:42:35 pm »
Drop some mk82 snake eyes and get back to me..I might have been doing something wrong. But every time I dropped them the fins would open and blow my plane up

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 04:01:55 pm »
it is up there with FC3, but even better with clickable cockpit. and FREE !!! so it gets an A+
if it were pay, it would be worth paying for. I couldn't say how much, but it is definitely worth it the 2 minutes it takes to install. And, we are getting support too!   ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 05:27:49 am »
This is a new genre of a sort.  DCS-Lite, or FC3-Pro   lol.  Basically somewhere in the middle.  If they could somehow implement something better than a simple flight model then this would actually be pretty darn good.  As it is ... it's alright.  Will definitely have to get some controls set up for it. 

The hump in the later models I think housed the avionics, iirc.

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 06:49:32 am »
http://a4skyhawk.info/article/skyhawk-ordnance

the first POW of the Vietnam War was LTJG Everett Alvarez shot down piloting an A-4. John McCain was also taken prisoner after his A-4 was shot down. McCain also survived the deck accident and subsequent fire on the on the USS Forrestal in 1967 in a Skyhawk. Skyhawk has a storied history.

AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 09:15:15 am »
Drop some mk82 snake eyes and get back to me..I might have been doing something wrong. But every time I dropped them the fins would open and blow my plane up

No problems with the snakeyes here.  Took a full load on three pylons and dropped them at low alt (<200 feet) without issues.  Are you sure you didn’t have some free fall Mk82s in the mix that blew you up?  Assuming you were on the deck when you dropped.

Offline AKA_Gunfighter

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 08:24:15 am »
Correct, the hump is indeed an ECM package container and not much else.

I'm LOVING the Scooter!! My pops flew early models out of Glenview right before he left the Marines to pursue an airline job and I have heard tons of stories about the little "one holer". I've experienced the guns issue as well, bombing is tough in it, but I reverted back to a 0 set gunsight and TLAR method to hit larger targets accurately, and near misses will kill guns and soft targets. I've noticed that at correct AoA and decent rate the final seems very long and shallow? An yeah, them brakes lol......I have yet to make a successful ground landing as I always run off the end of the concrete.

I flew to the boat after logging about an hour in the little striker. Flew a bolter on the first pass, a fair 2 wire on the second....not bad for a dedicated Huey driver!! The hardest thing for me is getting the power setting correct for the turn, she balloons easily configured for landing in a turn, or at least that's my take, and I found myself forcing the plane through a decent while turning for the groove. I was 10kts slow in the turn, but recovered into the groove nicely for the trap. Overall I'm excited and hopefully we can maybe get some Scooter ops going as a unit at some point, possibly along with the A-7 mod? Here's some screenies:

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 10:51:57 am »
nice! i think this would be good for training as aggressor like it is used for AF and Navy training. i did some mock fights with su27 and could always get on his 6 but the guns are weak. lol
AKA_SilverDevil

Offline AKA_Gunfighter

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 12:12:13 pm »
yeah, we know, 7.62 derp or something

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 12:16:48 pm »
yeah, we know, 7.62 derp or something

yeah it was supposedly fixed. i downloaded latest. also related to the guns. stations 2, 3, 4 available Mk 4 HIPEG

"Developed by the US Navy, this pod is fitted with the Mk 11 Mod 5 20 mm cannon, along with 750 rounds of ammunition."

2250 rnds total of 20 mm
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:41:53 pm by AKA_SilverDevil »
AKA_SilverDevil

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 07:02:41 pm »

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 09:23:27 am »
looking through controls and there is a drag chute. explains a lot about the brakes. "P" is default key. i have yet to try it. and gun pods are still using 7.62 ammo i think.
AKA_SilverDevil

Offline AKA_TG

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 10:15:56 am »
For a free mod I think the aircraft is really nice.

pros
Free
Vietnam era technology
Clickable cockpit switches
Carries a good load of bombs and rockets
Can use sidewinders (not yet figured out)
Has a primitive but functional radar for Sead missions. (not yet figured outr)

cons
not much documentation on what this mod can really do (look for chucks guide "DCS A-4E-C Guide v1.03.pdf")
The Load out selection can be tricky
instrument lighting is buggy
track ir sensitivity is waay out there

I still like it as a DCS beginner jet and its worth downloading and installing, (Ask Mo).

Offline AKA_Topgun

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 07:17:29 pm »
I don't know if this was a coincidence or not.  But I had version 2.4z running fine on Thur and then on request I added several cold-start A-4E at Senaki and restarted the mission. 

After that my performance was dog shit.  I was frequently dropping into the teens for FPS.  I could fly, but it wasn't pretty.  I hadn't been running the server for very long so I doubt I was running into a RAM memory-leak eating all my RAM that early in the evening. 

After that I took it down, removed the A-4s and started it up again and I didn't seem to have significant issues.