Author Topic: Need to make changes to our Squad only BoS campaign  (Read 460 times)

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Need to make changes to our Squad only BoS campaign
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 10:11:21 pm »
Lol.. my memory’s fine 10 - that was one mission, one I couldn’t attend - you’re generalizing based on one mission?  I think it was the last mission we had for the first half.  Other than that, the core team on red showed up every mission - look at the stats.  We haven’t seen you two for most of this half - we wanted to give you some well deserved payback guys!  :P

In any case, I’m sure we’ll get things more balanced...

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 04:33:26 am »
Stupid me, wtf was I thinking. I'm going back to shitting on the pot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:17:05 am by AKA_Big10 »

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 06:07:58 am »
1)After diving into the mission editor, I want to say this is the hardest (nightmare to learn) one I have seen, and tried to use. (no tutor). Without great knowledge and experience with missions editing, at best it is hacking to get it to work.
2)Historically, the Germans would have wiped the Russians had there not been so many Russians. The German planes are better, no surprise to anyone. But, then skill helps too.
3)People (AKA pilots) agree on mission stuff, then the campaign starts, then people either show up, or not.
4)When I see a Russian plane (and I am German) I don't cheer and say I am going to wipe them off the map, I find any plane with a gun formidable. I try to hit and stay alive, even though I suck. You may not be your favorite plane, whatever side and plane, but I look at it as part of a group that depends on every pilot, or else there is no team. I often put in more effort than I need to, as I could very well lay down and watch tv, instead I take my meds, and fly to keep the team going so that everyone has a mission to fly.
5)Count yourself lucky to be able to fly, as when you have life problems, even something as simple as flying a plane at a desk with a joystick is a challenge for some of us. Take a look at the whole picture.

Suggestion, if you don't want to fly part of the mission, the whole mission, etc... fine, then don't. But just one hour from every missing person would solve a few issues.

I sincerely hope that everyone can fly like the old days... in that we had a large group of active pilots that flew together. It is better that way, IMHO.   ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 10:43:05 am »
For me the plane set is a bit of a problem but the biggest problem are the icons.  The icons more than anything else give the advantage to the axis side.  The axis pilots are able to fly high and boom and zoom without ever having to worry about loosing sight of their prey.  Flying bombers is almost suicidal as you can be spotted from so far away and have no way to hide.

Something else that would help is to make bigger maps so that the side with the disadvantage would have more options as to where to operate.

No matter what happens with the plane set someone will complain but things like getting rid of the icons and making a bigger map would level the playing field regardless of the planes.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 10:57:08 am »
Nice points Ram and Scorp.
It goes without saying, there definitely is an advantage to the Axis side, especially with icons on. I think we should have our meeting after we are done with this wonderful second phase, attacking at will and spanking at our leisure. It has been fun.
Icons should be turned off (IMHO), as we heard from Hangten and others ad-nauseum. Those opposed to this, should find it easy enough if they fly with others who are more experienced at spotting planes in the sim.

SO, let's please try to understand that we are able to have our server ONLY because of the efforts being put forth by Scorp and Relent, who are the backbone of the AKA server for BOS. All this griping is unnecessary, since we all know what's been the problem all along, AND we all agreed to test a campaign to work out the bugs. So, let's get this phase finished, and if you're flying Allied, lay down and stretch out your necks willingly so us Axis can happily chop it off: OR, put Rage in your tail-gunner spot and let him do it for us. Either way, it's only a couple more missions and we're doing this to help Scorp help the rest of us.
Nuf said!

Gos
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:09:44 am by AKA_Goshawk »

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_MoGas

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 03:47:10 pm »
My opinion the old days of AKA are long gone. Remember when we all got together on one side and flew. Pepperidge farm remembers. Typically a COOP or the FS days. Now we just show up and bitch at one another.

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 04:33:08 pm »
 S! I have not participated in any BOX AKA campaign because of the use of Icons...  one thing to consider for leveling the playing field for the allies even tho it cant carry bombs in game but would not only be historically correct but also equal  the 109s of that early-mid war vintage would be to add Spit Vs to the allied lineup,another is why not limit the numbers the of 109F4s available You could use more 109F2s instead,make very limited numbers of 109F4 available as historically the Spit V and the 109F2 entered combat for the first time within weeks of each other early 1941,imo the 109F4 is far over modeled in game, if it was this good in reality it wouldn't have been surpassed by later models,109G series etc... also for balance sake as well as useful AC for both sides that are very close in performance include the Yak 1b, LA5 and 109G2,FW190A3, the Kuban map is quite large so that could spread things out a bit, BUT you have to lose the ICONS as they are a Sim killer.however these are just a few thoughts from a veteran AKAer from many years of membership who is one of a handfull who left flying 1946 years ago for newer sims and are now on the outside looking in so take these thoughts with a grain of salt...……
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:19:45 pm by AKA_Wiley »

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 04:39:11 pm »
Good points Ram, Scorp, and Wiley.  I know there's a way to limit the number of an aircraft type for a given airfield, from my limited time in the mission editor, and from seeing it applied in TAW, WoL, etc.  Maybe for the next BoX campaign setup, we see what the challenges are from Scorp in terms of tweaking the plane set and numbers per type, to see what's possible/doable.  Then maybe we can have more input from others on recommendations based on our experiences flying these aircraft, in terms of aircraft types/ratios/numbers/etc.

Offline AKA_Rage

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 05:27:21 am »
Rel, the point was the penalties! This has happened in our servers several times and brought the issue up then. I know this was a first for the killing a friendly issue but it needs to be fixed. I'm taking a time out. Rage.

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 10:35:29 am »
To the best of my knowledge the only BoX campaign that has been made available is Coconuts so unless someone wants to write a hell of a lot of code that is what we have to work with.  Coconut has written his code for his servers and how he wants a campaign to work, which is exactly what we did when we developed the 1946 campaign, so we are more or less stuck with what he produces.

My opinion the old days of AKA are long gone. Remember when we all got together on one side and flew. Pepperidge farm remembers. Typically a COOP or the FS days. Now we just show up and bitch at one another.

We did fly together as a squad but as Rel can attest to there was a lot of bitching than went on mostly about plane sets. 

If we want to fly as a squad my recommendation is TAW.  It's a tough campaign and if you fly Russian(which is where you have the biggest challenge) it is a tough slog through the first few maps.  TAW however can be rewarding if you fly as a squad and don't go off lone wolfing it.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:40 pm »
Rel, the point was the penalties! This has happened in our servers several times and brought the issue up then. I know this was a first for the killing a friendly issue but it needs to be fixed. I'm taking a time out. Rage.

Since the Expert and Normal servers are public facing (i.e. no password), I think it's expected that there be some sort of kick for too many friendly fire incidents.  I'm not sure what the current setting is TBH... I have yet to incur any penalty.

As you said, the incident with you the other day was the first I've seen with the Friday AKA campaign.  I think it was likely due to you're getting PK'd as you were shooting and it probably kept firing and chewing off Grey's tail :).   As mentioned, Scorp toned it down so hopefully it won't be a problem going forward, and if it does the penalty was greatly reduced as well.

Offline AKA_Clutter

• Training Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 07:04:30 pm »
To the best of my knowledge the only BoX campaign that has been made available is Coconuts so unless someone wants to write a hell of a lot of code that is what we have to work with.  C
I bitched about the imbalance in the pane set without knowing how to edit to make things better.  In DCS for the most part, it is easy to change plane sets, add or subtract.  Here I have no clue.  I do know that you and Rel have put a lot of work into it and do your best.  That doesn't fix the issue, but it may mean it isn't fixable. 

… ..and don't go off lone wolfing it.

"lone wolfing it"???  WHat the heck is that.  I would NEVER do that.  :-) :-)

I7 8700K @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Samsung 1 TB M.2,  Samsun 500 SDD, GB, EVGA 11080 FTW, Acer 27" Predator XB1, CH HOTAS and Pedals, Track IR 5,  Oculus Rift,

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 07:12:18 pm »
Well, we know better than THAT, Clutter!

We still recall your signature move, which we still refer to this day.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:21 pm »
I bitched about the imbalance in the pane set without knowing how to edit to make things better.  In DCS for the most part, it is easy to change plane sets, add or subtract.  Here I have no clue.  I do know that you and Rel have put a lot of work into it and do your best.  That doesn't fix the issue, but it may mean it isn't fixable. 

In the past with Coconuts campaign it was not possible to have the Battle of Bodenplatte aircraft but I believe that has been changed.  We can put together just about any plane set we want and I believe we can make limit the number of premium AC available and we can set which AC are premium .

Is there a publicly available campaign structure for DCS?

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 01:51:00 pm »
i believe there are MP campaigns. i do know there are plenty of co-op missions. string like ones together and do some sort of record keeping of results would be achievable.
AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

IL2 - BoS - BoM - BoK - BoB