Author Topic: question about IL2 series  (Read 262 times)

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
question about IL2 series
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:23:38 am »
~S question. i have BOS steam. i like playing it. i thought about getting Moscow and Kuban. does one have to have every game to play on servers? will the steam part screw me because of online incompatibility? cheers thanks
AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

IL2 - BoS - BoM - BoK - BoB

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: question about IL2 series
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:11:12 am »
I believe the best answer to your questions is: no to both.
I don't use Steam for BOS but there are others who do since that's where they got the game. As long as your game is up to date, you should be able to connect.
We try to fly our campaign in BOS on Friday evenings. Hope to see you there.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:17:31 pm »
I have the Steam version and have never had a problem playing in any server. I linked my steam account with IL2 account and just go from there. What I buy in the IL2 store will show up in my Steam game.

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:03:45 am »
thanks to both of you. i had a surprise when i went searching on steam for BoM and BoK. both on sale and i had $70 in my steam wallet. hah. now i have $25 left over!
AKA_SilverDevil

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:48 am »
Good man!!

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:11:20 am »
been trying it here and there. pretty cool. very reminiscent of IL2 1946. they have made a lot of headway since i flew it last. i have a lot of work to do on the controllers setup. does the game recognize modifiers? i like how DCS does and i can have 50+ commands on the stick. what about seat adjustment. seems i have to guess where my rounds are going because the target in below the nose. i am sure there will be many more questions. thanks for the help.
AKA_SilverDevil

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:10 am »
been trying it here and there. pretty cool. very reminiscent of IL2 1946. they have made a lot of headway since i flew it last. i have a lot of work to do on the controllers setup. does the game recognize modifiers? i like how DCS does and i can have 50+ commands on the stick. what about seat adjustment. seems i have to guess where my rounds are going because the target in below the nose. i am sure there will be many more questions. thanks for the help.

The controllers may be the biggest issue for you. If you look in the key mapping, you'll find various options to assign RPM, Prop pitch, radiators for both water and oil, cowl flaps, etc that appear to be assigned for specific aircraft. This can be quite confusing and frustrating, especially if you attempt to assign a key for each assignment.
REST EASY!!
Keep in mind that you can only fly one plane at a time, so you can assign the same keys to open cowl flaps on a P-40 that you use to assign open and close the water radiator in those planes with water cooling, whether they are Axis or Allied planes. Also, not all planes have oil radiators, but for those that do, you can assign the same keys whether the plane is Axis or Allied. If you need assistance with this, call me and I'll hook up on TeamSpeak with you to go through the control assignments with you. I'll send you my phone number through email. So, in summary, you should have 1 key assigned to open water radiators or cowl flaps, 1 key to close them, 1 key to open oil radiators and 1 key to close them, 1 key to increase prop pitch (or RPM) and another to reduce it.
Remember that not all planes have manual controls for these functions, so if you try to make a change and do not see the change shown in text on your monitor, the operation is automatically controlled and you can stop trying to make the adjustment.
Be sure to assign a key to toggle the tail wheel lock.
If you have Track IR, delete any key assignments for any views that you use the TrackIR for. If you do not have Track IR, GET IT ASAP!!!
Any other questions, just don't hesitate to ask. I'm retired now and will spend time with you to help you in the game as needed. It's a free service to squaddies, so don't be hesitant to use it.
Hope to chat soon about all this.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »
thanks! i gave it a once over and made some changes. i will report back.
AKA_SilverDevil

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 05:27:53 am »
So I was looking at the series again and see I have 3 of the 4.

Battle of Moscow
Battle of Stalingrad
Battle of Kuban
Battle of Bodenplatte

How mature is Bodenplatte? I see it has some cool planes. How many are available at the moment?

I want to be quite honest that since you all seem to play games at 630 west time. This is usually too late for me as I am east time. Does anyone ever play earlier on weekday or weekend days? I get up for work at 0445 and by the time 2130 rolls around I am pretty over everything except the couch.
AKA_SilverDevil

Offline AKA_Big10

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:29:27 am »
I believe we are waiting for the Tempest, 262, P-38, and P-51.
The rest have been released. If buy now you will still get the 2 Collector planes which is worth it.

I am really enjoying the P-47 and the Spit. The D-9 is a beast as well.

It's worth it too me

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »

I want to be quite honest that since you all seem to play games at 630 west time. This is usually too late for me as I am east time. Does anyone ever play earlier on weekday or weekend days? I get up for work at 0445 and by the time 2130 rolls around I am pretty over everything except the couch.

On Sundays, we start flying an hour earlier. We'll be doing BOS tomorrow at 4:30. Some of us also do COD during the week at 1:00 Pacific and could possibly do some BOS if you're around and interested. Check with us on TS.

Gos

"Death from above"