Author Topic: To curve or not to curve.  (Read 89 times)

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
To curve or not to curve.
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »
Well I looked at the track from Saturday night and I snapped my F-14’s wings off.  Unfortunately because of how fast it happened Tacview did not record the G-force value, but it is clear in the Tacview that I pitched hard to avoid the missile for a split second.  I had pulled over 9G’s in the fight before pulling my wings off, so I am wondering if there is a cumulative effect.  I did the same thing on Sunday in BF (at least I think, there as so much desync in the server I am not 100% sure).  But the biggest eye opener was when I didn’t rip my wings off, but it is certainly worth mentioning so I am posting in here.   I was flying at low level in an F-14 in BF just North of Gudauta in that narrow plain between the ocean and the coastal range, I was flying at full military doing close to mach 1 and was in a steady left turn moving to a north heading (towards Sochi).  That Coastal range has a steep rise to it, and I was a bit too close so I increased the backpressure to the stick and my smooth 5-6G turn shot up to close to 10Gs in a split second.  It was so unexpected I thought I had been hit by something or I had a mechanical issue of some sort, but when I released my backpressure there were no issues.  I have curves both for pitch and roll, at the time the pitch curve was set to 15 (which is not a lot) and I have now increased it to 20.. but I am starting to wonder if a curve is a good idea at all.  For those of you who fly RC aircraft you will know this set up as exponent or exponential curves, I set it on my elevators for all my sailplanes.  In case someone does not know what it does or the real “catch” that I think is messing with the F-14, a curve or exponent curve softens the reaction of the stick around the center but it increases the sensitivity after mid travel range moving towards full travel. I think what is happening is that increase sensitivity after mid travel causes pitch angle (AOA) to increase too rapidly.  I am going to try some different setups on the elevator and report back.  I am going to try a shallow curve (less than 10), I am going to go back to the liner set up, and I will try a shallow reverse curve where there is a little more travel around the center but it will soften at the higher end of travel.  It is also possible this is an aerodynamic feature of the Tomcat, I have experienced something similar on sailplanes with full flying stabs, or it is a bug in the model, but I don’t think this is the case

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_SilverDevil

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_SilverDevil
    • View Profile
Re: To curve or not to curve.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:30:46 am »
i have a little deadzone and 30 for curve. f14 not computer aided surfaces is hard to get used to for sure. most people agree that the f14 function much like the warbirds
AKA_SilverDevil

Flaming Cliffs 3, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, A-10C,  P-51D, A-4E-C, AV8B, MIG-19P, F-14D, F-16C

BoS - BoM - BoK - BoB - CoD