Author Topic: Trim Control for pitch!  (Read 2841 times)

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
Trim Control for pitch!
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:24:32 pm »
 8)Obviously there is something that I don't understand about setting the controls in this sim? When you set something , like engine start, must you hit something more than "Apply" to make that control work on all airplanes and all missions? How do you set the stabilizer to function on a CH control stick "Wheel" (on the left side of the stick). I assume that should give you pitch trim, if not, how do you set up pitch trim. I have none at present.

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Re: Trim Control for pitch!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:11:55 pm »
No trim wheel in these puppies.
However, You can downplay constant the forward stick by adjusting the responses.
I can go over that with you on TS if you wish as it can be a bit funky. (funky not being a technical term) :o

Cheers

Tai

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline AKA_Wildcard

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:48 pm »
I would love to go over adjusting the responses with you sometime Tai.  IL2 was easy.  This game makes me think I should have studied harder at Calculus.

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:14:28 am »
Let me know what day/night/time is good for you and perhaps we can get a group together all at once.

Cheers

Tai

Offline AKA_Trapper

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »
Go into some mission where you can fly and pause the sim and adjust your pitch to your liking as shown below.

Do this for every plane making sure you save it under the plane's name.

The Se 5 already has a trim-able horizontal stabilizer, so there is no need to adjust it.

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:49:15 pm »
I do mine a bit different.  I set the centre point at mid point 45 degrees down approx. 2 small boxes then adjust any individual ac as required.
The trick imo is to leave the nose pulling up just a bit when your hands free.
But that's me.  And I'm weird! :o

Cheers

Tai

Offline AKA_Trapper

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:44:31 pm »
I do mine a bit different.  I set the centre point at mid point 45 degrees down approx. 2 small boxes then adjust any individual ac as required.
The trick imo is to leave the nose pulling up just a bit when your hands free.
But that's me.  And I'm weird! :o

Cheers

Tai

That's just a sample of where to tackle your tuning.

Fly a little, pause, adjust the curve, save, then fly some more until you're comfortable.

Trap

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »
I agree Trap. 
For my taste though, that is close to perfect for a majority of the planes and I adjust the others as and when required.

Cheers
Tai 

Offline AKA_Wildcard

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:21 am »
See, I don't understand what that line represents so adjusting it to my liking is like taking darts and blindly tossing them.  Here's what I want from my responsiveness:  To forgive a little heavy handedness and to not bounce all over from the slightest tap while at the same time not neutering a twitchy plane.

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »
I can hook up Sat on TS if you want and we can go over it and test until you like it. (sounds kind of wrong)   ::)

Cheers

Tai

Offline AKA_Trapper

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »
Gents,

Assign the trim controls to your stick or somewhere.

They work in the Se 5 and Sopwith Triplane so far.

Too tired to test others right now.

Offline AKA_Wayno

• Operations Officer
  • AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 02:56:42 pm »
 8) Hey, Trap and Ty, I am not trying to change my "Responsiveness"! When any airplane goes faster or slower, the pitch trim changes a lot. For instance, when the plane is slow, the stick gets heavy (Pulls Down). As the plane goes to full speed the pitch trim requires forward pressure to hold the nose on target (have to push down). Horizontal stabilizer trim or  trim tabs are used to remove that pressure and return the stick pressure to almost neutral. Thanks to Gos, I have found that the right hand wheel on my CH stick does trim the horizontal stabilizer. Unfortunately, I prefer the trim wheel to be on the left side of the stick. Can't fix it?

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:49 pm »
there is no trim in the game Wayno.

The only reason the 'right side' of your stick works is because it's trimming your joystick, not in game.

Although I've always wondered if I should just skip in game trim and use my CHStick instead... I wonder if there is a difference between the two ?  Dumb question by me, but I learn something new everyday in life  :)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:35:41 am »
I found my answer...

Those two dials near the gimbals of a CH stick are referred to in CH Products literature as "trim wheels."   That's an unfortunate term because us aviation types can't help but think that means "aircraft trim" and we are tempted to try and use those wheels to trim our airplane.  A better choice of term might be "pot trim wheels" or something like that.  You see, this wheel is physically attached to the axis pot and can be used to center the pot (or equalize the travel of the pot to one side and the other). The problem with trying to use them for aircraft trim is once you've calibrated your stick and then you move one of these trim wheels, you throw off your calibration and it is very difficult to get the pot exactly where it was when you did the calibration.  The precision of these wheels is not that great and just the slightest movement can throw the pot off quite a bit.  It is my opinion that you carefully lock the trim wheels in their detent and never touch them again.

In truth, these trim wheels are a bit of a hold-over from the Gameport days where centering the pot was a legitimate issue.  Because of the way USB devices are designed, this is not that much of an issue anymore.  It is very rare that these USB sticks need any sort of pot trimming.

Offline AKA_Wildcard

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 11:57:59 am »
If you live in Washington state you're good to go, but if you live elsewhere you might get in big trouble for trimming your pot.