Author Topic: Avatar update  (Read 740 times)

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:57:30 am »
I shot an email to Avatar recently and got the following response.

I'm doing relatively well. Glad to hear the squad is still thriving and doing well. I've noticed over the months that the ranks have swelled, obviously you guys are doing something right! No doubt the usual culprits are still at the helm guiding the weary dogs on their way. :)

Family is hanging in there. Actually got to connect with a part of the family that fragmented off at my dad's funeral and recently went to my Aunt's 90th birthday. Was a lot of fun re-connecting with them. My step mother is still struggling with my dad's death and trying to downsize. My step-sister has been around for several months trying to help out (I say trying as she has some mental issues -OCD, major confusion, etc.- and sometimes makes things worse rather than better) so that has given me some breathing room at times. Time for myself involves hiking in the woods and basically chilling with nature by myself. My heart hasn't really been into gaming much, and I'm not sure why that is. I did actually start to invest in rebuilding a gaming rig last month but Murphy is still hanging out at my house it seems... I didn't sell my big aluminum water cooled Thermaltake computer case and bought a new motherboard, CPU, memory and video card. Spent a couple of hours getting things all installed and setup but didn't notice that my watercooling hoses (which are only plastic) had gotten pretty dried out with all that hot liquid that had been coursing through them for a couple of years. Well, one of the hoses broke off completely and I didn't notice as I was vacuuming out the case and arranging wires and didn't hear the drip sound of coolant dropping onto my new motherboard and CPU... I then spent the next several hours trying to clean up the mess and dry off all parts completely as possible to see if I could save the parts. I also created a toxic waste dump in my study as the coolant is incredibly toxic. So a weekend of snowy weather where I was looking forward to relaxing on my new computer rig, installing software and maybe even game a little was replaced with hours of frustration and cleaning to the eventual conclusion that I just wasted $500+ on new computer parts that I just ruined. So, needless to say, it's going to be several more months before I scrape up the funds to buy all new parts again. At least I didn't loose the memory. True, it was the cheapest component but I'm not taking any good news fro granted at this point!

The other only good thing about all that I've been going through with the family these past two+ years is that my wife and I have gotten closer and we cherish the little time that we get to spend with each other more than ever. So that's a great plus.

Believe it or not, I do think of you lads quite often and think fondly of the hours I would spend hanging out virtually with all of you. THAT I miss greatly, much more than the gaming. So please pass on my well wishes to Sully, Tai, Rel, and the rest of the squad for me. Some day I just may surprise you by being online...

S!
Av

"Death from above"

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
Re: Avatar update
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:01:41 am »
Good to hear ...
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080Ti black edition l Win7 64 bit

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:39 am »
I had the opportunity to fly with Av during a campaign some time back and really had a lot of fun with his sense of humor and skills. Listening to the tongue-in-cheek jabs between him and Taipan made the missions pass really fast, too fast. I hope he can find the time and desire to return to the group some day soon. I think he also has a great singing voice and hula moves, as evidenced by his sentence during his trial.
For those who don't recall the sight, here it is. Be sure to read the entire transcripts.

http://home.comcast.net/~jp.herring/courtmartial_Avatar.html

See for yourself.

Gos
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:44:10 pm by AKA_Goshawk »

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_BUCKY

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:14:21 pm »
Hey AV.  Sorry to hear about your Dad but remember well the state of my own parents and the feeling of not wanting to fly so much after their passing.  A got a new computer and that's what is getting me back into it....  And Cliffs......holy cow!  It's freeken great!  The new card (Nividia 970) I got  is being replaced but before t crapped out I was seeing some awesome eye-candy.  So I put my old card in and am waiting for the replacement. Anyway, hope you can resurrect your puter cause I know you will like what we're doing, both in '46 and in Cliffs... 

Thinking about you man...

Bucky

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:46:43 am »
Hi Av..
sounds like you are sort of living the life I do. Your health allows you to do much more,... enjoy it. I mean enjoy the outdoors!
MY computer needs anew video card.. as you read, PNY is very slow to give me an RMA!
I told them so much about all of the troubleshooting!
the card gives me "VIDEO_TOA_FAILURE" on two computers when I run it, screws up the hard drive in looks... The crappy tech there (I can say that one of my degrees is in electronics, and have aerospace background in engineering).... the crappy techs there keep hassling me asking about if I have checked everything else...

I have reformatted, put in a new PSU, the computer is only a couple years old. The PNY GTX 460 video card is decent. But no longer works in 3D mode.
Anyways, I am not sure if water killed your whole computer. It may still have many good parts. Just sayin'

Take Care..   ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case